• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Etiquette?

"Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella.

The differences between how a golfer concentrates and how a professional athlete in a different sport concentrates, are addressed in the book. I also shared in my response to Garub, one of the tools Dr. Rotella suggests developing to help you apply your focus and concentration regardless of the sport you play. This book is full of valuable information that you don't even know you're missing, until you've read it.

I feel like a broken record.

"Golf Is Not A Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella

Time availability being what it is, I'll have to miss that and keep on wondering.

me and my 4 friends i was with were very very certain it was the 2 guys playing behind us, to squeeze a lemon on the wound it was a buzzz SS i had bought like 3 days earlier and thrown like 6-8 times.

it wont let my edit, so heres the story, its a long one so tl;dr two guys playing behind me took my disc, hid from me when i was near them, when we were out of sight, took off with my stolen disc.

i left my second shot about 7 feet from the 13th basket, i putt, i leave the second shot disc on the ground on accident and walk to the 14th pad which is 50 feet from the 13 basket, i throw to the 14th basket which is on a plateau so its a blind uphill shot (holes 13 and 14 at huntington beach if anyone is familiar). i walk to my drive and reach for the buzzz SS and its not there, i remember exactly where i left it, i walk back to the 13 basket and its nowhere in sight, (mind you, theres noone else around, it was getting late) the only two guys around happened to be playing behind us the entire time, they were carrying discs, about 2-3 each. i ask if they had seen my disc, at which i see one of them holding an orange one, but it was stacked between two other discs, they dont respond right away which i thought was odd, but then i get a "no ill keep my eye out for it," with their backs turned to me the entire time. i walk back up to my bag, get my friends and go back to find my disc. as we are walking the 2 guys behind us were playing onto 14, 1 of them sees us approaching and dips behind some bushes and pretends to be looking for a disc. we let them know that they can play through and we are going back to look, we go back, look for about a minute, and go to 15, with the amount of time these guys should have only been on there 2nd shot, but they had vanished, they waited for us to be out of sight and walked straight to the parking lot and left.

they were the ONLY PEOPLE AROUND, my disc was laying 7 feet from the basket and there were no bushes to cover it up, it was out of sight for 1 minute and they pick it up, in hindsight i should have said something, but by the time i pieced it together my disc was probably a few miles down the road.

ive said this before and ill say it again, id rather lose my disc off a cliff, or melt them trying to practice my drive in an active volcano, than have someone steal a disc from me.

but w/e, whats done is done

it wont let my edit, so heres the story, its a long one so tl;dr two guys playing behind me took my disc, hid from me when i was near them, when we were out of sight, took off with my stolen disc.

i left my second shot about 7 feet from the 13th basket, i putt, i leave the second shot disc on the ground on accident and walk to the 14th pad which is 50 feet from the 13 basket, i throw to the 14th basket which is on a plateau so its a blind uphill shot (holes 13 and 14 at huntington beach if anyone is familiar). i walk to my drive and reach for the buzzz SS and its not there, i remember exactly where i left it, i walk back to the 13 basket and its nowhere in sight, (mind you, theres noone else around, it was getting late) the only two guys around happened to be playing behind us the entire time, they were carrying discs, about 2-3 each. i ask if they had seen my disc, at which i see one of them holding an orange one, but it was stacked between two other discs, they dont respond right away which i thought was odd, but then i get a "no ill keep my eye out for it," with their backs turned to me the entire time. i walk back up to my bag, get my friends and go back to find my disc. as we are walking the 2 guys behind us were playing onto 14, 1 of them sees us approaching and dips behind some bushes and pretends to be looking for a disc. we let them know that they can play through and we are going back to look, we go back, look for about a minute, and go to 15, with the amount of time these guys should have only been on there 2nd shot, but they had vanished, they waited for us to be out of sight and walked straight to the parking lot and left.

they were the ONLY PEOPLE AROUND, my disc was laying 7 feet from the basket and there were no bushes to cover it up, it was out of sight for 1 minute and they pick it up, in hindsight i should have said something, but by the time i pieced it together my disc was probably a few miles down the road.

ive said this before and ill say it again, id rather lose my disc off a cliff, or melt them trying to practice my drive in an active volcano, than have someone steal a disc from me.

but w/e, whats done is done

The only reason I say that is because I used to throw multiple discs and pick all up but one. Then I would think I knew exactly where I threw that one disc. And someone would always seem to take off right when I went to the spot I thought I threw it and it'd be gone. I would think they stole it and would eventually find it the next day

The only reason I say that is because I used to throw multiple discs and pick all up but one. Then I would think I knew exactly where I threw that one disc. And someone would always seem to take off right when I went to the spot I thought I threw it and it'd be gone. I would think they stole it and would eventually find it the next day

ya, i understand where you are coming from, ive had similar situations where i thought i lost one or it was picked up by someone but ended up not being the case, but the disc was clear as day laying 7 feet from the basket and those guys picked it up, lied, and took off when i wasnt looking.

This was a good question long before disc golf. I grew up with the distraction-filled sports, and was always a little bemused by the sports that demanded silence. We'd joke that golfers needed dead silence to hit a ball that was sitting still, while baseball players could endure crowd noise and whatever abuse the opponent could think up, to hit a ball moving 95 MPH and curving.

Of course, that's over-simplified, and such analogies can be picked apart. But it remains a question as to why some athletes need silence, while others must perform through distractions.

Then again, every sport has its etiquette and unwritten rules. In baseball you can yell all kinds of things at the opponent, but if you hit a home run and run the bases too slow, expect retribution. So perhaps the lesson that you can wonder about a sport's unwritten rules, but you should generally still follow them. So while I don't understand why a player wouldn't want to know where his score stands, or would be offended to be told....I'm asking if he wants to know before I tell him.

To add a small bit to the silence vs. distractions question. At the Ryder Cup matches two years ago, Bubba Watson hit his drives off the first tee with crowd noise. After he was introduced to applause, he encouraged the crowd to remain loud through his shot. Link to an article here. I believe the first day he was in the fairway. The second day, both Watson and Ian Poulter encouraged crowd noise and both missed the fairway left.

Constant noise would be fine, it's one person talking that can be distracting. Whenever I've found myself in a situation with a talker (ball or disc golf) I will just sit and wait to play until they get the picture.

Constant noise would be fine, it's one person talking that can be distracting. Whenever I've found myself in a situation with a talker (ball or disc golf) I will just sit and wait to play until they get the picture.

True, and this is along the lines of my naive response on the baseball batting and basketball free-throw shooting analogies. It isn't a particular action or volume level that will break your concentration, but a change in action or volume level. Bubba Watson can hit that drive if it's silent and still, or loud and constant cheering. But if he started his backswing in silence and then the crowd started cheering, that would likely break his concentration.

What I do with talkers or people moving around is typically stand at my lie looking at them until they stand still and shut up. I've been told this makes me less fun to play with, but on the contrary it's less fun for me when I miss putts because my stupid brain is trying to listen to their conversation instead of thinking about my putt.

What I do with talkers or people moving around is typically stand at my lie looking at them until they stand still and shut up. I've been told this makes me less fun to play with, but on the contrary it's less fun for me when I miss putts because my stupid brain is trying to listen to their conversation instead of thinking about my putt.

he does this sooooooo much, sooooooo annoying ... I'm just over here having a conversation and he's slowing down the pace of play by not putting, what a jerk

;)

I'm baffled that you guys who think the OP should have been disqualified are so up in arms about this.

How did you manage to play disc golf enough, and register for tournaments without playing with some loud-mouthed friends?

If you want to call a stroke penalty or disqualify someone for talking, you need to disqualify all other 17 players who might be putting while you are driving. All those "chain noises" in the background are SOOOOO distracting. How am I supposed to concentrate with you breathing?

Stop breathing, I'm driving.

How many people actually said that they thought dude should be disqualified? Your rant is essentially fighting an imaginary dragon.

This past weekend I won my first PDGA tournament in the Intermediate division. With 8 holes left in the final round I let another player know that we were tied for the lead. The very next hole after that his game fell apart and I went on a birdie run winning by ten strokes. This player complained to me and others that I "iced" him by telling him that we were tied. Is it bad etiquette to tell other players on your card where you stand? I think he was just being a sore loser.

Honestly it sucks for him but you did nothing wrong.

I was playing at the osage tour and AwsomeBob told me the score with 4 holes to go. I was in 3rd and back by 3 strokes. the next 4 holes i went birdie birdie par birdie. he was in the lead until i made my run. I beat him by one stroke. If he had not told me i might have not surged. It is what it is. dont let it get in your head and focus on your game.

Knowing where you stand even by one tenth of a stroke is something that a top player will be acutely aware of. I don't see any reason for you to even discuss it with him but I don't see it as a violation or even as being rude. I would say that it's bad form as if he is not paying attention, and you are, it should play as a distinct advantage to you. If you feel you need to "ice" him with 8 holes left, then you are likely worse than the guy not paying attention to his score, and win or not you should feel like a poor disc golfer.

tldr; Pay close attention to the scores, and focus on closing the round in first place. Don't worry about your opponent's thinking/awareness as it can only subtract from your primary focus - winning.

Practicing drives into an active volcano? Talk about awesome...!!! Sign me up!

To add a small bit to the silence vs. distractions question. At the Ryder Cup matches two years ago, Bubba Watson hit his drives off the first tee with crowd noise. After he was introduced to applause, he encouraged the crowd to remain loud through his shot. Link to an article here. I believe the first day he was in the fairway. The second day, both Watson and Ian Poulter encouraged crowd noise and both missed the fairway left.

I was on the tee box watching when that happened it was pretty awesome and weird at the same time.

on a similar note to the points above. Anyone here remember the putting finals at the 2007 Worlds in Kalamazoo?