• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad throws begat bad throws problem

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'm really struggling with the fact that when my drives are not accurate, every throw after which is awful b/c I'm usually off-balance or being bothered by branches, etc. I'm really tired of this. It's almost to the point that when I feel like I'm going to have an off-day with driving I don't feel like playing. It's like in billiards when the cue ball keeps ending up frozen on the rail and behind balls. I keep trying like the dickens to improve my driving form, get-out-of-trouble shots, etc. but I think I need some outside-the-box thinking.

Ideas?

yeah, i tend to notice that when my driving game is on, so is my approch and putting. whether this is at all related, idk. WHen i drive like sh*t, and my approch game is on, then the putting kinda falls in line. :confused:

Sounds like you're just letting yourself get psyched out.

It's almost to the point that when I feel like I'm going to have an off-day with driving I don't feel like playing

Gold isn't just physical. If that's how you feel sometimes I think you should work on confidence before tossing. Each throw is unique to itself and has no bearing on how you will throw the next one. The only one placing expectations on yourself is you. Just throw, and do the best you can with each one, whether you shanked the last one or got an ace. Doesn't matter how good your driving form is if you don't have the mental resilience to carry yourself through a round without feeling down about your game.

let yourself take some second throws. try discing down on the second throw too.

I found playing a more forgiving course helps confidence and then playing a tougher course helps perspective. Contradictory advice but it kind of makes the point that this game is very emotional/mental.
Play an open course to get your mojo back and play a tight one to make your reg course look a bit easier.

It really depends on the course you're playing and the schule you end up in but I've been using a new strategy whenever I flub a drive.

I used to look for whatever little tiny line that went near the basket and give it hell. As you've discovered, this usually doesn't end well.

Lately, I've just been throwing ten foot get-out-of-the-schule shots to get myself back on the fairway so I've got a good look on my third shot.

Works well for me.

It really depends on the course you're playing and the schule you end up in but I've been using a new strategy whenever I flub a drive.

I used to look for whatever little tiny line that went near the basket and give it hell. As you've discovered, this usually doesn't end well.

Lately, I've just been throwing ten foot get-out-of-the-schule shots to get myself back on the fairway so I've got a good look on my third shot.

Works well for me.

It's a lot eaier to work a small miracle from the fairway and get a 4 then it is to work a huge miracle from the woods and still take a 4.

I usually throw a roller, hammer, or some other "crazy" shot where you would normally try your usual drive, just to break up the rhythm and bring some humor into it. That can break up the cycle. It is not a fool proof method, but it can help.

But I know exactly what you mean and I have been stuck in the tree-after-tree rounds.

Second is trying a throw without releasing the disc. This gets rid of some tension and might point out what your problem is.

I have games where the wheels just fall off. And it starts with one bad shot. Im in the woods and get a 4 on a 3 next thing I know and Im bouncing off every tree and end up with a 7 on a 3. If Im by myself, I will usually quit at this point. If I am with someone else, I will just take a 5 minute break, and my game comes right back. After a 7 your chances of winning are slim so the pressure is off, now you are playing for fun.

In the times that this has happened to me, I find that I will shoot better because there is no pressure and the birdies will start flying in.

bad throws are gonna happen, just try to get it out of your head otherwise you are goin to spiral down.when i have a bad or terrible throw, i dont dwell on it(most of the time),i get to my lie and take the biggest window i can find back to the fairway(even if its back twards the tee)...so thats 2 shots,now do i set up and try to get an amazing par save from 150-200',and risk hitting more tree's or throwing past the pin and risk getting a double?well yea of course i do lol, but alot of times especially if im having one of those days, i tell myself to take the bogie and i approach/putt then continue on.
i also take these times to work on thumbers and rollers,ive have had alot of great get-out-of-trouble shots doin this and quite a few get-into-more-trouble shots too

well there is always "field practice" which i hate so nix that idea. then there is drive with your mids. but if your form is garbage that wont work either. my last idea is to dump out your entire bag and fill it up with different discs. i have done this before and it has worked wonders. your not used to how the new discs fly and this makes you think if you have a bad drive maybe its just the disc and not me

^^ that's funny...

the break is good sometimes, let a couple groups play through, take a smoke , few sips of beer or water and just relax.. i think every golfer (ball or disc) ever has had the yips at least once, pitch back to the fairway and move on... some days will not be the day... and remember unless there is cash on the line you are there because you enjoy doing it, no need to get pissed... (if there is money in it though i would be pissed at myself too)... good luck...

I just disc down and throw with less power than I have been. I play more conservatively, just try to throw good shots, not really long or great shots. Flat out relaxing more usually helps a lot, too.

when i have a bad streak there are 2 ways i like to use to get out of it. go out for a game and play with only 1 disc. for me its a roc or buzz. i always expect to do poorly with one disc, but it turns out better than expected and become proud of myself. The second idea is IMO much more effective psychologically , call come friends set up a game, grab some extra backpacks and a case of beer. go out and have fun and forget about the score and the rules. even if its just for one game. always gets me back on the right track!

well there is always "field practice" which i hate so nix that idea. then there is drive with your mids. but if your form is garbage that wont work either. my last idea is to dump out your entire bag and fill it up with different discs. i have done this before and it has worked wonders. your not used to how the new discs fly and this makes you think if you have a bad drive maybe its just the disc and not me

I actually laughed out loud, thanks solomon.

When that happens mid-round, you need to drop down to slower discs, not worry about distance anymore, and worry about fairway position. Sure you'll be shooting 3-4 instead of 2-3 with an occasional 4...but that's better than going cross fairway from tree line to tree line for a 6 any day.

\/\/

I have a friend who drops all his confidence when he is throwing bad buy he will often throw his beat shark all over the place to save par. It helps him get smoother and throw better but he only wants to make birdies.

The problem with discing down is that I'm already disced down to Eagles and mids, if I disc down further It'll just be putters and though I have a new found appreciation for playing with putters thanks to the Ion it's still annoying. I think I need to just relax and not overthink it so much. Thanks.