• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bagger !?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha played in a tourney and won doesn't equal bagging! Honestly I received a lot of comments I liked and others are just trolling now. Whys the definition of a rec player/division ?

Haha played in a tourney and won doesn't equal bagging! Honestly I received a lot of comments I liked and others are just trolling now. Whys the definition of a rec player/division ?

You wouldn't have made this thread if you definitively thought it wasn't bagging. Bad troll is bad.

Haha played in a tourney and won doesn't equal bagging! ?

Correct.

Smoking the field and insisting you get to play that same division i the next tourny is bagging.

D-bagger

Playing one tournament and winning by a lot does not equal bagging.

Following that up by wanting to play the same division again despite objective evidence that should otherwise force one into a higher division is a desire to bag, plain and simple.

Fortunately for all involved, said player is not going to play the lower division. No bagging. /thread

Recreational - available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 900. For players who have played 1-2 years and are gaining consistency and experience. Throw 200-300 feet, make 4-6/10 putts from 20 feet, learning different shots. Score range: 63+...........honestly going buy this I'm a Rec player! I'm going to play in Int , but just saying......

Recreational - available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 900. For players who have played 1-2 years and are gaining consistency and experience. Throw 200-300 feet, make 4-6/10 putts from 20 feet, learning different shots. Score range: 63+...........honestly going buy this I'm a Rec player! I'm going to play in Int , but just saying......

Except for the part about having a rating < 900. As has been shown already, based on your PDGA tournament resume, your rating is roughly 920.

And as far as the PDGA is concerned, the only thing that matters is the rating. All the other descriptions are either outdated or inconsequential.

I wish........even when I was throwing " righty " I was hitting around 320

Last edited:

Unless I'm mistaken these guidelines to divisions haven't changed in the last 5 years. With the changes made to discs and even some extent the baskets I think this guide is a stretch today. And ratings are a whole different can of worms. Good to hear that you're moving up.

I keep reading your posts as if you were a 14 yr old kid. It completely makes sense that way. Who cares where you play at this point. Do what you will because it sounds like it doesn't matter.

I do want to counterpoint something all over this site though. Trophy only is crap. Most of us want to grow the sport and making ams trophy only doesn't help. All it does is make the guys rated for rec bump up to intermediate. How is that fair? Now they have to compete against better players with no chance of winning.

What's wrong with wanting to compete for merch? I think it helps with bringing new people into the tournament side of the sport. I get that paying $50 is for the experience and I would be happy with trophy only. But why alienate a group of people from a sport in the growing phase?

If your argument is baggers then I have a fix to that. Your first tournament you can play whatever division. The pdga then records the numbers off books. A td should be able to look you up and see where you fit from there. Td's will be the only person allowed to see your rating.

What's wrong with wanting to compete for merch?

1. It defiles the traditional concept of what an amateur is supposed to be.

2. Many other amateur sporting pursuits don't offer prizes to winners and do just fine in regards to attendance and growth.

3. Perhaps creates an entitlement mentality with some players who are more interested in winning swag, or boasting that they are the best person under an arbitrarily set ratings line, than trying to compete.

That's all I got.

I do want to counterpoint something all over this site though. Trophy only is crap. Most of us want to grow the sport and making ams trophy only doesn't help. All it does is make the guys rated for rec bump up to intermediate. How is that fair? Now they have to compete against better players with no chance of winning.

What's wrong with wanting to compete for merch? I think it helps with bringing new people into the tournament side of the sport. I get that paying $50 is for the experience and I would be happy with trophy only. But why alienate a group of people from a sport in the growing phase?

If your argument is baggers then I have a fix to that. Your first tournament you can play whatever division. The pdga then records the numbers off books. A td should be able to look you up and see where you fit from there. Td's will be the only person allowed to see your rating.

Trophy works really well if the entire amateur side of a tournament is trophy only, not just the bottom divisions. I've been running a tournament for over 10 years in which all the amateur divisions are trophy only. It fills every year. Can't say it has hindered the sport's growth around here at all.

But to your point about Rec being trophy-only forces people to play up. It does no such thing. If a player is faced with a choice between playing for trophies in Rec or playing up in Intermediate where they (your words) "have to compete against better players with no chance of winning", why do you think they automatically will choose to play up?

Rec, especially a trophy-only version of the division, is most likely going to cost less to participate in than an Intermediate division with a payout. If they truly have no chance of winning in Intermediate, doesn't that make the matter of prizes moot? Either they play for a chance to win but get no prizes in one division or they play for prizes they have little to no chance to win.

If someone is motivated by prizes, then presumably their intent is to come as close as possible to "break even" for their entry fee. So let's say it's a matter of paying $15 for a fair chance at a trophy or $25 for a less than 5% chance at winning anything, including a trophy. Which does the ROI conscious player choose?

@ OP: I'm definitely NOT going to call you a bagger, or say you played rec maliciously so as to clean up on lesser players....but:

personally, I'd be embarrassed if I won by 21 strokes and then DIDN'T move up, regardless of any health issues, my rating, [insert xyz reason here], etc.

But that's just me. :shrugsmiley:

dkoz said:
I'm going to play in Int ...

Glad to see someone's sense of embarrassment is still intact. :rolleyes:

i think the argument would be. instead of paying 50 for the experience with a chance of cashing, you'd pay 25 for the experience with a chance at a trophy.

imo opinion, eliminating cashing for ams, and lowering the entry fee, would bring in more players than the current system.

Valid points. I just don't see anything wrong with the system we have in place now. I know it's not perfect and that my opinion is not popular, but why fix something that isn't broken? Look at how much growth we have seen in just the last few years. It seems to be working.

In Texas, I have never seen novice offered. People get pressured to move up from rec because that is the lowest division. Take a look at the z-boaz open.

http://www.pdga.com/tour/event/16764

A lot of people move up here before they are ranked higher because of the rec stigma. Now we have a ton of people stuck in intermediate that should be competing in rec. Trophy only just reinforces this bullying tactic.

I do see both sides but I still don't see the problem with wanting to win merch. It's not an entitlement stance to want to try and win something in a competition. If you are playing in the division you are suited for then why is gambling discouraged?

I'm mostly playing devils advocate here. I could really care less either way. My joy in tournament is the competition. Secondary to that is the merch but it definitely adds to the stress/intrigue of every shot.

imo opinion, eliminating cashing for ams, and lowering the entry fee, would bring in more players than the current system.

Agree with this 100%.

Tfire25 said:
Look at how much growth we have seen in just the last few years. It seems to be working.

Growth because of or in spite of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts