• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Baseball Players Tearing Through Disc Golf Course

Am I the only one who thinks our baskets are generally tough enough to deal with a couple bats tossed into them? It can't be that much more impact than a disc coming in for an ace or chuckers climbing on the baskets.

Depends how hard the bats are being "tossed." Starts as a toss, develops into a throw, and then harder throws*...

Throw the meaty end of a bat of some decent mass into the side of a basket end-on, and I can see the cage getting bent, and it's probably just a matter of time before someone takes a legit swing at one. Pole might be OK, but the basket would get mangled.

If I understand what's happening, it sounds pretty ridiculous.

* fear leads to hate, hate leads to anger, and pretty soon you're on the Dark side. Sounds like that's where these guys could be headed.

Sounds annoying, and sounds like something the parks department might frown on, I just don't think it's worth getting angry about or getting into a confrontation with some angry dude about. Give the parks department a friendly call and let them know their equipment is being misused.

If the OP was too scared to deal with roided out coach, a call should be made to the park director.
If roid-head is threatening, call the police.

Scared? Well, I prefer not to initiate situations which my spidey senses tell me aren't going to end well one way or the other. I would say it's more of a calculation based on observation and experience versus fear. :D

Sounds annoying, and sounds like something the parks department might frown on, I just don't think it's worth getting angry about or getting into a confrontation with some angry dude about. Give the parks department a friendly call and let them know their equipment is being misused.

That is exactly what they are doing. This is the second time they have come through the course when I've been there and I don't play everyday so I know they are coming in frequently. :thmbdown:

Contact the parks department or the local ranger. Get a phone number you can call with an immediate response and next time you see them, *ring ring*. The ranger will take care of the rest with a warning, ticket, or similar. Post the phone number on the bulletin board for "Park misuse." At a minimum, I could see a ticket for vandalism / destruction of public property.

The key is, get a phone number that will have an authority out on site immediately. The police may not be your best bet based on response time and knowledge of park rules.

I don't know why anyone would even do this. Seems crazy. Anyhow, I agree with most on here to call the Parks Department. I did this last year when we were having trouble with Bikers and Exercisers using the course as their personal training ground. The Park Department gave me a number to call and told me to call anytime this was going on and they would send a ranger right out.

This sounds like something Beavis and Butthead would do.

You could always just step in with your bag of discs and play with them. Maybe put some money down for anyone that can beat you with their setup. I'll bet when they see what an experienced player can do with a set of disc at least a couple of them will get hooked on the game and start showing some more respect for the course.

Why not just throw the ball at the chains? Maybe you could recommend that. I stopped playing baseball as a kid, but I seem to remember throwing the ball was good but throwing the bat was bad.

If the OP doesn't want to get crushed via a confrontation with them, here's what ya do:

Go to the batting cages at another location, and take a fastball to the back.
Then, next time they're out getting reckless on the course, act like you got hit by one of their "drives." Make a big scene of it; call the police, parks, and probably a lawyer(or at least squawk multiple times that you're going to). Be sure to let everyone know that this is NOT how disc golf is played

Another reason to add to the huge pile of why baseball sucks. :popcorn:

I don't care who you are,how big you are, or how many people is in your group. I will give you my peace of mind if I see you mistreating a Basket or doing something else you shouldn't be doing(mistreating the course or throwing in on somebody).

I play by myself most of the time and I have come across groups of people who are doing stuff they shouldn't be doing. I'm a small guy,but I carry a pretty big voice when needed. I've never had anybody make a smart remark back at me when I raise my voice a bit and tell them you shouldn't be doing this.

Those guys you mentioned, I would have told them to get the heck off of the course. I don't put up with crap like that.

Latest posts