• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Basket Light for Night Golf

JRW III

Double Eagle Member
Anybody seen some good ideas for lighting up the baskets at night and know where to get the lights? We are looking at putting in a few lights at my home course and I wanted to see what some other people do. Ideally, I would prefer solar lights that come on at dusk, that way you don't have to go ahead each time you want to play on turn them on.

Our course has DGA Mach II baskets, and unfortunately, DGA is no longer selling the Solar Conversion Kits.

lights

So far the best idea i've used is to take the glow sticks, walk the course backwards before playing attaching them to the baskets. It doesn't light up the basket but gives you a highly visible target. I love night golf.

I have a couse that I practice at sometimes at night, and I put a flashlight on the top of the basket faceing down:

0202092300.jpg

0202092259.jpg

Harbor Freight is one of my favorite stores. You get some good deals there.

There are two stores in Houston, Midnight. Check it out.

For those baskets that don't have a number plate this is perhaps something that can be set on top.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66563

$10 per hole? We used solar yard lights. Mounted a piece of PVC to the top of the basket and stuck the light in there. Look in the lawn and garden area of stores. Find a sale. We did a 9 hole course for under $20.
I think those $10 ones would be way too bright and wouldn't stay on the basket very long. They look cool, I'm sure some kid would have to have one of them at home.

$10 per hole? We used solar yard lights. Mounted a piece of PVC to the top of the basket and stuck the light in there. Look in the lawn and garden area of stores. Find a sale. We did a 9 hole course for under $20.
I think those $10 ones would be way too bright and wouldn't stay on the basket very long. They look cool, I'm sure some kid would have to have one of them at home.

I don't know about too bright. I can't imagine LED's shining downward on the chains would be too bright. It would be different if it were halogen. Then it would definitely be to bright.

As far getting it to stay on top of the basket, that's easily solved. Zip strip it to the top of the basket. Zip ties can be hand in bulk for very cheap.

The solar yard lights are a great idea! Definitely more economical than my suggestion if you're planning on lighting up every basket on a course. I guess I was originally thinking that the intention of lighting up the basket was for nighttime practice putting.

My only concern with the yard lights would be the possibility of a direct hit from a disc, say for those baskets that have Ace potential or for drives/approaches that put you in proximity for a long birdie.

Ooooooh nice! Seeing little flames throughout the course would be really cool. Has anyone given you any crap about it though? Cops, parks/rec, etc.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I wish I could get away with the tiki torch at my home course, but I can almost guarantee that I would have cops show up the first time I tried it.

We have been using an LED strap (Nite Ize Marker Band). It is a bright LED band that is like the thing you would strap around your pant leg when riding a bike. It is elastic with fastex clips. You turn it on, strap it to the basket pole (where you would normally see the bright orange or white band) and you can see these things from about a mile away. It does not light up the whole basket, but gives you a target where you need it. The only downside - they go for about $12 apiece if you can find a deal online. The upside - they take coin cells batteries that are easy to replace and they last a long time. We absolutely love ours!

have you tried Moon Lites you get them at the Up in the Sky Store. You be suprised how easy it is to see if you let your eyes adjust, except for the moonless nights.

I like using plain old rambo style glowsticks. I put them where they shine on the top of the lip not the chains , cause i played a night tourney once and i must have missed 2-3 easy birdies because i couldnt see the lip at all and kept hitting the basket.

Dollar tree stores sell the round LED tap lights for.... ta dum...$1. They will light up the entire chain assembly. They require 3 AAA batteries (Dollar tree also) While there grab a box of zip lock sandwhich bags. Place the lights in the bags and zip them up to keep moisture out. Lay the lights on the top of the basket. These lights last for 24- 48 hrs depending on the type of battery (alkaline or heavy duty) For long term buy some rechargeable batteries.

We tried the tiki torches at the Grange...too many fires.

We tried the solar lights also...not very bright, and didn't last long (month) because of the beating they took from our discs.

Glow sticks just are not bright enough, and wont work in colder weather.

Cost (9 hole course)

9 tap lights................ $9
27 batteries (8 pack)... $4 5 extra batteries
Sandwhich bags.......... $1

Total........................ $14

I dare anyone to find a cheaper way. And these light up the ENTIRE basket so that it can be seen from a GOOD DISTANCE. They can used more than once also.

Go Ninja. That's how we do it here in Humboldt. NO LIGHTS. You should know the course.
if you look at that first picture midnight put up you can see its hard to see the outside of the basket because the light is so bright , it actually makes it harder to see for me .

And yeah i love playing with lights only on the discs and having to know where the basket is without seeing it , and all you have to do for someone that dosnt is shine a flash light from the tee. And once your eyes adjust to the dark its easy to see the basket when putting and to see the woods and ground as a whole not just one shiny spot at a time.
Dont yall have mountain lions and bears though? Here we gotta watch out for gators and snakes but that aint sh** compared to a freaking lion or a bear.

play in the dark like real men lol....rarely will i even shine the basket with my flashlight when playing nightgolf...cuz then i cant see SH!T afterwards...and putting in the dark changes things up a little bit

play in the dark like real men lol....rarely will i even shine the basket with my flashlight when playing nightgolf...cuz then i cant see SH!T afterwards...and putting in the dark changes things up a little bit

He is talking about playing his home course which is Oak Meadows. I would be more afraid of the snakes out there at night.

Latest posts