• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Battle Royal - TBird vs TL vs Eagle

Tbird - TL - Eagle - Other : Best Fairway / All Purpose Driver

• TeeBird

Votes: 47 42.0%
  • TL

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • Eagle

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.7%

• Total voters

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
I own all 3, in star and in similar weights...
i try to carry a very minimal bag, but i select one (or more) depending on course, weather, etc...

I vote:
TBird

All 3 fly almost exactly like how the flight chart shows... but...

The teebird flies the farthest and most accurate.

Eagle... I am sure if i had "god's arm" it would be amazing... it is invaluable with winds and is a very good supplemental sidearm.. but in non-windy conditions it lacks the distance of the Tbird and the turnover before the fade can cause problems. I will speak highly of this disc and if i had a stronger arm i am sure it would (probably) replace the other two or be invaluable in my bag. (Wind, sidearm and spaces with a long straight corridor with a slight turnover then "expected" fade. Exactly as the chart shows it will fly)

TL - For me, it flew almost exactly like the TBird, except, it didnt have the same fade in the end. The fade was reduced, BUT it compromised distance. AND, it still had a turnover, just slightly less pronounced... SO, for me, this disc is a "NEW" Tbird with a touch less fade. (Tight corridors and ABSOLUTE precision with little fade)

Tbird - Point And Shoot. If you know the flight pattern, and have a clear line, it will be exactly that. Longer Distance than both the eagle and TL. Absolutely controllable and predictable. Loves power and loves snap even more... (Wanna add 20-40' to your Tbird drive? add snap!) Exactly as the chart shows it will fly. The course pro swears by his and uses it to drive 400' straight ahead and land with precision accuracy. (I can only dream....)

(Honorable Mention) Banshee: (again) if i had a god's arm, i am sure thid disc would be amazing. It has great control for an overstable and forehand disc. Sadly, it's eclipsed by the Firebird and Predator although its the true fairway compliment to both; it seems to get lost in the shuffle between overstable drivers and approach discs .

your choice and why?
(Apologies must be given to non-innova throwers. Primarily i am an innova thrower, but i do use other manufacturers as needed. Innova doesnt cover all shots and needs with perfection. - at the same time, no other manufacturer can beat or create a disc better than the TeeBird.)

Last edited:
Discraft Tracker, mine is a little more overstable than my Eagle, better for wind and stays in the air a little longer.

I voted for the Eagle. I have never been a teebird thrower though, so I can't really comment about that.

The Eagle has insane control, I can always throw it with confidence.

i guess if i had to pick just one it would be the teebird, but its like picking an apple or an orange or a banana. they are all different, i have all 3 in my bag and seldom go any faster anymore.

I voted for the Eagle. I have never been a teebird thrower though, so I can't really comment about that.

The Eagle has insane control, I can always throw it with confidence.

I actually still like the Eagle but I got a new Star one to replace my old star and the thing just didn't fly the same, figured it was a combination of a lot of things that I'm not going to go into. I got an ESP Tracker which replaced it to a point but I still rely on the Eagle for certain control shots.

I actually still like the Eagle but I got a new Star one to replace my old star and the thing just didn't fly the same, figured it was a combination of a lot of things that I'm not going to go into. I got an ESP Tracker which replaced it to a point but I still rely on the Eagle for certain control shots.

could have been an Eagle-X and your old star was an Eagle-L or something? I'm not sure, do they only make star eagles in the X-mold?

Anyway, I hear ya.... no two discs are the same.

I use the Eagle for BH and FH, usually for 300' flat shots with a nice predictable fade.

Someone convince me to get a teebird -- what does it do best? and how does it compare to the eagle? I'm assuming a tad more overstable.... longer? more/less glide?

I voted eagle because it says All Purpose Driver. Definately not my choice for best driver of the three. Would actually go with a QJLS over any of those.

Teebirds do one thing, but better than just about any other disc out there, and I love 'em for it. If I could bomb one over 400' it'd probably be more valuable to me for its ridiculously wide speed range. I haven't gotten any OOO-AHHH moments from TL's.

A Star Eagle-X is a joy, and does the long/straight thing really well when new. A DX Eagle-X is Blake's top choice for most versatile fairway driver, bar none. And as Frank will testify, having a Champ L with your X's effectively gives you a longer, better Leopard. So there's that.

Try the P-PD/S-PD combo for enough rounds to get the P-PD seasoned up, you might come away thinking this poll's moot. :) PD's have cleared out everything between Rocs and Wraiths for now, and the C-PD's threatening to kick out the Firebird too.

But I love 'em all, and haven't had the heart to trade or sell any of 'em. I can't choose.

Even when trying to find a replacement, and I see someone else throw a Teebird and I think it is the perfect disc. Reason being is, anyone at about any level can throw a Teebird and have good control for a great fairway driver and, as far as FH, OH or any utility shot, while not the best, it does it all well.

Eagle I always felt was just a little shorter and cant do anything a Teebird cant do, then the TL seems like a neutered Teebird and the only thing it would do better is turnover shots.

...no other manufacturer can beat or create a disc better than the TeeBird.

They keep trying and failing. I don't know why they keep trying; they should be trying to copy the Gazelle or Cyclone. Chiggins already said it but the Teebird does one thing really really well. I don't think a "one trick pony (Blake T.)" should be considered for best fairway. That honor should go to a disc that can do the low and straight with no fade but also excel at the multi-directional flights and versatility.
And let's face it, multi-directional flights and versatility are not the Teebird's strong suit.

My "best of" list of nominees would be:
Gazelle
Cyclone
XL
Eagle X
Cheetah
Leopard
JLS
Teebird
Eagle L
TL
Timberwolf
Polaris

You asked "which is the best fairway driver?"
I can only assume you mean "which would you carry if you can only carry one?" That would not be the Teebird even though it would be a decent contender. Because the courses near me require you to shape flights I would have to go with something more versatile like a
ZXL

And as Frank will testify, having a Champ L with your X's effectively gives you a longer, better Leopard. So there's that.

So, so true.

Anyway the Eagle is the best and most versatile fairway driver out there. The thing is though, you cant just carry premium plastic ones until you really beat the snot out of a X one. A DX eagle is magnificent and so are the new 12x champs, the champs just take forever to beat in and until it does, you won't see the full benefit of the disc.

Anyway I am rocking a 2 KC pro EXs and a champ glow EL right now. The champ EX is out of the bag while I try out a beat pred in its place.

While the Teebird is a great disc, I couldn't go without my Champ Eagle. I use it every round, regardless of weather or course conditions.

I like all 3, but I voted t-bird as I have 3 of them in my bag right now :bag:

TL all the way! Both of the other discs are great but i throw my TL damn near more than any of my other discs. I can throw it dead straight, hyzer flip for huge distance, use it for turnover shots, it is just an all round fantastic and versatile driver. Plus I have more aces with it than any other disc.

I voted Eagle. I have owned a TL and have a Teebird in the bag now. I think I can throw my Teebird a little farther than the Eagle- but I just feel more comfortable throwing Eagle for more shots. It's kind of like a security blanket- if I don't know what to throw, I'll pick the Eagle over the Teebird.