• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Beaver State Fling

The PDGA social media / event guy is here. Can't remember his name? The dual 18 layout has been in use for over a decade. It was first used for a local non-sanctioned event called HabRec that has been running every year since either 2001 or 2002. I played the layout in the 2004 BSF, but I am not sure when the "HabRec" tournament layout was first incorporated into the BSF. As Matt said, there have been numerous small changes along the way to improve the course's performance, however the all the fairways have effectively been the same for a very long time.

courseMap.png

This
Anyone know if live scoring/tweeting will be happening? I feel like I saw that the PDGA guy won't be there...

I want to know about live scoring also.

I was also wondering how different these courses are the rest of the year, if I make a trip up there in August is it a completely different layout. This place looks fun and challenging, especially with my lack of distance.

This

I want to know about live scoring also.

I was also wondering how different these courses are the rest of the year, if I make a trip up there in August is it a completely different layout. This place looks fun and challenging, especially with my lack of distance.

The BSF uses 9 holes that aren't available the rest of the year, (i.e. the full course is usually a single 27-hole course) and in Winter the course is further reduced to a single 18.

1 David Feldberg -11 50
1 Will Schusterick -11 50
3 James Proctor -10 51
3 Ricky Wysocki -10 51
5 Paul McBeth -9 52
6 Garrett Gurthie -8 53
6 Adam Hunt -8 53
8 Shasta Criss -7 54
8 Nathan Doss -7 54
8 Bradley Williams -7 54
11 Jeff Faes -6 55
11 Johannes Hogberg -6 55
11 Nikko Locastro -6 55
11 Eric McCabe -6 55
11 Steve Rico -6 55
11 Mitch Sonderfan -6 55
11 Paul Ulibarri -6 55
18 Joe Rovere -5 56
20 John Anderson -4 57
20 Philo Brathwaite -4 57
20 Tyler Christensen -4 57
20 Kenny Clark -4 57
20 Devin Cordell -4 57
20 Chandler Fry -4 57
20 Devan Owens -4 57

Last edited:
BSF layout is the best golf I've ever played. A few arguably tweenerish holes. (the long par 5 hole on the east layout if memory serves me is tweener 5/6 imo for gold). Both courses play arguably the same in difficulty although I think the West is a stroke or two tougher.

When I was out there one of the locals said it best. "The course constantly keeps you thinking and puts you in situations where you 'think' you can make it, but you're probably better off just playing it safe.

Milo would easily be a top 5 course (arguably #1 imo) if the two 18 hole layouts were permanent. Some of those extra nine holes, and extra pin placements are epic.......great park, great golf and great people.

.....on a side note, I think Skellinger is gonna be up there after that heartbreaker from last year.

I like the day 1 leaders. Feldberg has something to prove coming back to an OR tourney. Shoestring is just good, and Milo fits his game. I suppose McBeast fits in that category too.

BSF layout is the best golf I've ever played. A few arguably tweenerish holes. (the long par 5 hole on the east layout if memory serves me is tweener 5/6 imo for gold). Both courses play arguably the same in difficulty although I think the West is a stroke or two tougher.

When I was out there one of the locals said it best. "The course constantly keeps you thinking and puts you in situations where you 'think' you can make it, but you're probably better off just playing it safe.

Milo would easily be a top 5 course (arguably #1 imo) if the two 18 hole layouts were permanent. Some of those extra nine holes, and extra pin placements are epic.......great park, great golf and great people.

.....on a side note, I think Skellinger is gonna be up there after that heartbreaker from last year.

I did a scoring spread analysis after the event last year, and I'll do one again this year (providing I get the scorecard data). The long par 5 on the east (the 1200ft. one) came out very nicely for scoring spread last year, as I recall. Yes, that hole is freaking hard still.. I never managed to 5 it, even during practice. :p But there were/are a few other holes that needed a bit of work in terms of scoring distribution, for example the 'Genius' hole (and it giving away nearly 70% 3's as a par 4).

I did a scoring spread analysis after the event last year, and I'll do one again this year (providing I get the scorecard data). The long par 5 on the east (the 1200ft. one) came out very nicely for scoring spread last year, as I recall. Yes, that hole is freaking hard still.. I never managed to 5 it, even during practice. :p But there were/are a few other holes that needed a bit of work in terms of scoring distribution, for example the 'Genius' hole (and it giving away nearly 70% 3's as a par 4).

Did the tee for the genius hole get moved back this year. I know there was talk about it last year. A local who played on my card last year showed me where they were thinking, that would probably help the scoring on that one. Great hole either way, but those gold level arms get pretty far down there. Will had (if memory serves me) about a 50footer last year for a deuce that spit out.

I got a 6 and a 7 on that monster par 5. I was happy with a 6 and not unhappy with a 7.