• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Appalachian Mountain courses in OH, VA, WV, KY?

DiSCRoCKeR

Bronze level trusted reviewer
My wife and I are road tripping from Des Moines, IA to the Outer Banks of NC in a few weeks. Looking to get a couple of mountain courses in along the way, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!

Normally, I'd suggest the Goat Path...Goatman's a super swell dude, a great host, and has a very very cool course; however, it looks as though its closed until further notice, most likely due to the seasonal tick problem. Not sure if it'll be operational by the time you swing through.

Good luck!

Not sure if this is what you mean by 'mountain', but If you're coming through the Ohio river valley, the Rotary Park/Indian Rock combo in Huntington, WV will give you all the climbing and woods you'll need to fill one day's energy...

In northern WV you have several worthy complexes. From west to east:

Grand Vue Park - Black, White, and Yellow
Orange Crush and Seth Burton
Whippin' Post and The Woodshed

Though they aren't "Appalachian Mountain courses," you'll pass by some good VA courses. Walnut creek just outside of Charlottesville has plenty of elevation change with a mix of open and wooded holes. Williamsburg has 2 very nice courses with New Quarter and Waller Mill. If elevation change is what you're looking for, they both have some but far less than Walnut Creek or any mountain courses. All of these have a variety of tees/baskets to help cater to different ability levels.

Woodshed & Whipping Post were the best/most enjoyable of the Appalachian courses I've played in the states the OP listed.

If you prefer your mountain golf to be very short and technical, check out The Timberdoodle Thicket in WV... very fun course, that I didn't rate higher because IMO, it needs some longer, open holes to provide balance, if I'm totally objective.

Last edited:
My wife and I are road tripping from Des Moines, IA to the Outer Banks of NC in a few weeks. Looking to get a couple of mountain courses in along the way, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!!

How set are you on a route? Most of the WV courses mentioned are in northern WV and almost certainly out of your way. Orange Crush is certainly an awesome example of wooded mountain disc golf that makes the best of the Appalachian-type terrain. While it is conveniently located just off of I-79, it would probably take you North too late in your trip East. The Paw Paw courses (Woodshed and Whippin' Post) would also be great, but maybe even farther off your route and certainly farther off the beaten path.

Sisyphus had a good idea which is less out of the way, and I think your best bet is hitting some Huntington/Charleston area courses. You might even check out the Armco courses in Ashland, KY. They give a good sampling of the up and down golf in the area.

That being said, Orange Crush is awesome and the Paw Paw courses are too. Just be aware that they'll add time. Plus, if you come as far north as Fairmont, WV, you gotta consider Pittsburgh! Deer Lakes and Moraine are both solid top 20 courses, for good reason.

Not sure if this is what you mean by 'mountain', but If you're coming through the Ohio river valley, the Rotary Park/Indian Rock combo in Huntington, WV will give you all the climbing and woods you'll need to fill one day's energy...

We aren't too set on a route. My wife doesn't play, so I want to find courses that offer a challenge for me and a good hike with scenery for her. Thanks for the suggestions!

WV Courses

Dorseys Knob - Fun shorter mountain course. I can get a round in, in less then an hour. Lots of elevation changes
Seth Burton - Fun mix of short and long with medium elevation changes. Id suggest playing here.
Orange Crush - Like the name says, you will feel like a crushed orange when you complete your round. Very hilly and way too many trees. I have played it twice and both times I played it I walked away wondering why I played it. Its just not a fair course, it relies more on luck then skill.
Timberdoodle - Make sure you can get to the course if you are thinking of playing it. I went there last year only to find out I couldnt get to the course because you have to cross a creek and if the water level is too high then you are screwed.

Timberdoodle - Make sure you can get to the course if you are thinking of playing it. I went there last year only to find out I couldnt get to the course because you have to cross a creek and if the water level is too high then you are screwed.
Yeah, I highly recommend making this trip with some sort of truck/SUV. A car with low ground clearance may have trouble crossing the creek necessary to get here.

Not saying it can't be crossed in a Civic... but the creek would have to be running pretty low for that.

Also Seth Burton and Orange Crush complement each other very well to create a wonderful DG destination.

I went on a site visit to a park in West Virginia yesterday and there will be one more spectacular course there within a few months. Possibly the best woods I have ever had the opportunity to work in. that is all for now. ;)

I went on a site visit to a park in West Virginia yesterday and there will be one more spectacular course there within a few months. Possibly the best woods I have ever had the opportunity to work in. that is all for now. ;)

Fantastic, can't wait! Please spill one more piece of information: approximate driving time from Clark's Run? :D

Coopers Rock?