• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best disc for loaner program

Billipo

Birdie Member
Park wants to have some loaner discs available for newbies... Any suggestions (1,2, or 3 discs, which model(s)/type(s) of discs, any past success w/ loaner programs)?

To complicate, the course is a par 66 style.

Appreciate feedback.

1 disc for loaner in my mind. The sport is cheap. Anybody who might even think to grab more than one disc will already have their own.

I know a few sites have the instructional packages that come with beginner friendly discs in beginner friendly weights. Bulk brings the cost per disc down.

Or they could also just raid PIAS and stock up on beaters.

Or just buy a ton of dx sharks in various weights, making sure you have most in lower weights.

my .02

Understableish mids seem to work really well. When I loan out discs to brand new players they always seem to gravitate twards discs like the Stingray, Aurora MS or Cobra type discs.

Stingrays and Sharks are what I generally loan out, though for smaller kids a Wolf works well too.

See stingrays all the time. Think that shark lep or other slower doors driver others have recommended. Are people going to pay a desposit for them or just free to throw?

I'll see them for cheaper than pia if it was around here. We have guy who sells very plastic used for 2 except champ, don't tell him about ESP/star please. Thanks

i've got some vary light cobra, leopards and magnets that i let people use when first trying disc golf. most always throw the cobra best at first.

1 disc - Discraft X Comet (175g) or Coyote (175g), or putter only (I know one course like this)
2 discs - DX Aviar or Magnet (165-175g) + DX Leopard, Cyclone, Shark, or Stratus (150-165g)

After that you would confuse people or they should be ready to buy their own.

Loan DX Rocs only. Then swap them out with fresh ones every few months and profit on the beauty of beat Rocs without having to do the work yourself!

My vote is for the comet. easy to throw and at the same time will teach you to throw better.

This is my favorite disc. It is the first disc I can throw correctly. It is also my most beat up disc. Don't really know how that happens, because its only hit road once.

I did hit a sign that took a chuck out of the disc. Funny thing is the sign said "Please watch out for flying discs." It was only 3 or 4 feet from the straight line from the tee to the basket. It was there for people walking on the sidewalk that passes through the fairway.

Aero or Eclipse. Excellent beginners discs (and I still use an Aero for a lot of under 250' shots after 25 years of using them).

See stingrays all the time. Think that shark lep or other slower doors driver others have recommended. Are people going to pay a desposit for them or just free to throw?

I'll see them for cheaper than pia if it was around here. We have guy who sells very plastic used for 2 except champ, don't tell him about ESP/star please. Thanks

Th park wants to make a formal system..either a small deposit or an ID on hold so I'd suspect they will want new discs or will keep the loaners "fresh" versus a bunch of hand me downs. They want to get people interested in playing versus being a revenue generator.

Most comments (so far) seem to be towards the midrange..shark, comet, etc.

Putters: The straight and glidey type like: Magnet, APX, Ion, Magic, VooDoo, Aviar P & A etc

Mids: Shark, Skeeter*** (a really good disc in general, this disc teaches new players how to aim) BuZzz, Meteor, Element

Drivers: Anything stable or understable and less than speed 9. Think fairway drivers: Teebird and Stalker would be the most stable and fastest things you'd want to look at. Surge SS, Avenger SS, XL, Leopard, Cheetah, T-Bone etc

All of these discs favor control over distance, and that's EXACTLY what you need A) as a new player and B) on a really hard course like that. Unless every holes is 1200' wide open, control is much more important than distance, will keep them out of the trees more, and make them have more fun playing the game.

\/\/

Yep, any stable to understable mid here will work. Comet, Fuse, Aurora MS, Skeeter, Panther, Stingray, Coyote, Mako, etc.

Latest posts