• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] best discs for tomahawk/thumber

are overstable discs really the best for these shots?

for distance I use overstable discs, but for (what I call) pancakes, I use understable plastic. Understable when thrown vertical will flip and land top down and slide, this can be very useful midrange when you don't want a roll or fade.

as for best thumbers/tomahawks for me

Epic (thumber distance)
Illusion (thumber/tomahawk and can also do a good pancake)
Teerex (thumber)
Banshee (shorter range Illusion, but the pancake has to be more forced (released more at 100 degree angle, 0 being sidearm))
Flick (thumber)
XL (thumber)

edit: right now I use a sidewinder for a pancake

I've always heard that more overstable discs flip more slowly when thrown overhand. How would a more understable disc be better at throwing a pancake then? Wouldn't it flip over faster?

I've always heard that more overstable discs flip more slowly when thrown overhand. How would a more understable disc be better at throwing a pancake then? Wouldn't it flip over faster?

Overstable discs spike to the ground, because they resist the turn. Understable discs flip and flatten out, landing top down on the ground. Overstable discs will land on edge and roll, and can be devastating to a well placed mid-range tomahawk when it rolls away from the basket and down the hill......

once again, that is his opinion..understable discs flip too fast and go nowhere(for me)

It really depends on how far you're trying to throw it. Understable discs don't do well for tomahawk distance because once they flip underside up they start to stall out.

once again, that is his opinion..understable discs flip too fast and go nowhere(for me)

that's why I said mid-range tomahawk. I don't throw these far, what I call pancakes are not distance throws. If you throw an understable disc too hard it will do exactly as you say, stall out and go nowhere fast. But try being within 100-150 feet of the basket where you need to sneak in an approach without overshooting or rolling. Tomahawking an understable disc and letting it hit the ground 20-25 feet before the basket and sliding up to the pin is a good way (for me) to make an approach sometimes. It can be done with an overstable disc, but has to be released almost top down when thrown. That can be an awkward and even painful throw if thrown harder than just a short flick. I use this shot a lot on hard, non-grassy areas.

(my opinion, also 100-150 is a short tomahawk for me, may be different for others)

I have 2 Banshees that I have for tomahawks that neither one of them have lived up to expectations of the first one I had that a friend lost.

My old one would rocket out to the top of the flight, then on its way down flip over flat and glide, giving me more distance from the hill I throw off when I do this. I never could get the other 2 to do it.

Should I try an Epic?

I have 2 Banshees that I have for tomahawks that neither one of them have lived up to expectations of the first one I had that a friend lost.

My old one would rocket out to the top of the flight, then on its way down flip over flat and glide, giving me more distance from the hill I throw off when I do this. I never could get the other 2 to do it.

Should I try an Epic?

If you liked the glide that you SOMEHOW managed with the banshee, try the epic. Try tuning your banshees as well, bend the flight plate down (look at the top of the disc, bend the rim down). I am guessing your first banshee was warped or bent so it would fly like that.

The Epic has totally given me an overhand game. Before getting it, my tommy and thumber would just go up then spike right into the ground or roll. Now I get a beautiful barrel roll and awesome distance (for me....80-100' rather than just 30-50').

For downhill shots I still use my 150 Flick cuz it's light weight and the downhill gives it time to soar and flip.

For me I would say the best thumber disc is the SL. It is long like a Monster but has a very predictable high speed turn and goes where I want it everytime.

If you liked the glide that you SOMEHOW managed with the banshee, try the epic. Try tuning your banshees as well, bend the flight plate down (look at the top of the disc, bend the rim down). I am guessing your first banshee was warped or bent so it would fly like that.

Im pretty sure it was. Ive tried just beating on the other 2 by throwing it into trees against the wall and no go. Maybe a more controlled approach to it would do it. :D

I probably would have tried that before but just didnt know why it would fly like that other than it was beat up and no idea how specifically it would be warped.

Im pretty sure it was. Ive tried just beating on the other 2 by throwing it into trees against the wall and no go. Maybe a more controlled approach to it would do it. :D

I probably would have tried that before but just didnt know why it would fly like that other than it was beat up and no idea how specifically it would be warped.

:) I like the beating against trees. For an epic, I tune that one down or up depending on which way I want. Tuning it down will make it roll more so that's why I suggested doing that to the banshee. Just basically taco it in your hands. If by doing this all the way around the edge, you bend the flight plate up, make sure you flatten the flight plate back again. This can be done by holding the edges and pressing with your fingers on the center plate.

I have an old DX banshee I may try this with now that I'm trying to get you to do it :)

I like to use my monster for both.

any other discs (innova in brand) that work well for the thumber/tomahawk? I dont do them all that often but want to be able to throw them both well with a good disc in the event i need to throw a particular hole/lie

I like to use my monster for both.

any other discs (innova in brand) that work well for the thumber/tomahawk? I dont do them all that often but want to be able to throw them both well with a good disc in the event i need to throw a particular hole/lie

Some people like the beast, I like the teerex. The banshee is another good one

Well I have 2 and neither one is great, they work ok, but I dont get the "Wow" from my friends when I throw them like I got when I used to throw the other ones. I can keep one as the less desired but at least funtional back up and experiment on the other.

It was funny; the same friend that lost my old one was the same friend who gave it to me early on when I first started playing. there is one hole where the tee is set up perfect for a tommy, or you can Anny around; which is what he started doing so he just gave it to me and it did that a few times, with all of them in awl of how it flew for me there unti he decided he wanted it back to try it again, thus losing it for good.

170-172 FLAT TOP Firebird. Throw it and watch it glide. The rim is perfect size for thumbers. A Nuke OS WTF. I was throwing Beasts and domey Firebirds. Than a buudy bought a FLAT TOP Firebird. I threw it a few times. Easy to get it out past 300ft.
Now i have 5 backups. I call it the LIFE PLAN.

gummy monster. try it and you will believe. or watch me and same results