• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] best discs for tomahawk/thumber

172 Champion Firebird, if you throw hard enough. Once you find a weight, stick with it.

I am a pretty new player, but I have found that the thumber is my most accurate and usually furthest drive. The majority of the time I use a hand-me-down beat up no.1 flyer (by lightning discs). Its an odd odd disc, with a smaller rim, and ribbed grips making it easier to control when throwing it as hard as possible, even in wet conditions. I'm not positive of the weight, but it feels about 168-170. It has a normal thumber flight path, but I tend to get a nice extra bounce. I've also tried an FLX Avenger(172g) and Z Surge SS (165g) but neither fly as accurate or far. I dont use the tomahawk very often, but i use the same disc when i do.

I was doing thumbers with my Destroyer until I got a Flick. I get much longer flight time and distance with the Flick.

ps. almost all my discs are 150-class.

I love the Star FL for tomahawks because it's so damn precitable when broken in. This is the only disc I can tomahawk with precision and it has taken strokes off my game. I can throw it tight spots and it can really jump out there for distance throws in tight fairways. What a great tomahawk disc, the Star FL.

Give it a try.

I throw a lot of thumbers and have tried a lot of different discs. For me a Z Flick will give me the most distance. I can max it out to around 325'. It is also the only disc from Discraft that I carry, so that should say something.

I learned how to play throwing thumbers and for the last few years used it more than any other shot. My favorite discs to thumb are my Elite X Predators and Tracker. I turn to the Tracker more as I find it easier to place where I want it.

I am curious if anyone throws overhand and has the disc flatten out into an actual flight, or if you guys just get the loop-de-loop that I usually see people get when they overhand.

Would be cool to see an overhand that converts into a flat flight.

Mine don't flatten out but they typically don't loop-de-loop, more of a big arching flight path.

I throw thumbers almost exclusively and I have been through a lot of different discs. I have found that the Innova Monster is the best distance thumber on the market it absolutely screams. For touch thumbers I like the Innova Eagle or Discraft XS. I just bought a Discraft Predator and Im excited to try it out since Ive heard alot of good things about it.

I throw thumbers almost exclusively and I have been through a lot of different discs. I have found that the Innova Monster is the best distance thumber on the market it absolutely screams. For touch thumbers I like the Innova Eagle or Discraft XS. I just bought a Discraft Predator and Im excited to try it out since Ive heard alot of good things about it.

Predator is a great disc for all out distance. Give it a little height has a very slow turn.

Love my Z Flick for overhand shots. I can get my thumbers to finish with a roll almost every time great for throwing over stuff. I also throw this disc overhand when I end up in a mess off of the fairway or on holes that have way too many trees. Also a great side arm disc! Love my Z Flick!

not to be picky, but that website was last updated 5-12-06. Not that three years will change everything on the list, but I would bet that there needs to be a few updates since then.

I personally throw a DX Banshee for my tomahawk and thumber duties. I have amazed people I play with with the consistency and distance (sometimes vertical distance) I get with it. I only use it for trouble shots and strategic tee shots where going over obstacles is the best idea.

The disc usually flips at the end of the flight and curves the direction of the top of the disc when you threw it. For example, a right handed thumber will end flying right because the top was facing right when you threw it. It took me a few throws to figure this out, but it really helps to know for shot placement.

I have a question, does the weight matter? My Discraft Xtra is in the 170's and I was curious if something in the 150's would do something different.

for me, overstable works best...to each his own...whatever works for you...field practice is the best way to determine what disc/weight you will get the best results with...