• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] best discs for tomahawk/thumber

I am curious if anyone throws overhand and has the disc flatten out into an actual flight, or if you guys just get the loop-de-loop that I usually see people get when they overhand.

Would be cool to see an overhand that converts into a flat flight.

Before I played DG I played Ultimate for years and still do. I learned to throw a tomahawk/overhand using an ultimate disc. With an ultimate disc a proper tomahawk will flatten out into a regular flight, just upside down. When I throw my disc overhand I throw it much the same way and generally get it to flatten out for a regular flat flight, again just upside down. I can also throw it so that it doesnt flatten out which I sometimes want. (When I throw overhand I use an old beat DX valkrie and it works very well for me.)

Tomahawk/Thumber

I have never seen any of my disc convert to a flat flight... they all flip to a flat flight and then continue to flip and land like a rocket shot straight at the ground hitting the edge of the disc.
My favorite disc for this is the Beast DX, but I've noticed that the Viper DX takes longer to complete the full flip... I'm new to disc golf and still working on my shots, but my best guess is that if you want a disc to flatten out (upside down) on a overhead throw, you should use an overstable disc such as the viper.
Also if you are planning on using this shot often... you might want to get a higher grade of plastic since this shot is extremely rough on your disc.

I use beat up champion beasts or eagles but as previous DG's have mentioned, anything overstable.

yesterday I watched my friend throw a thumber (with an Innova Shark) over some brush and small trees. It went straight up and about halfway down flattened out like a regular throw. It flew slightly right and glided straight for the basket, fading a little left at the end. amazing.

I throw a pulse as my thumber disc and am quite accurate from 100-275. It's the most consistent disc i've found. I've thrown the epic, but didn't like it enough to keep it in my bag.

mistake me if im wrong but a beat-in or even new beast is not an overstable disc, nor is a beat in eagle.

Beasts are not overstable ... and a beat beast even less so ... my beast took quite a beating this summer and it has become very understable.:(
Eagles aren't really overstable either especially when beat.

I have been throwing a champion Banshee for my overhand shots. I throw overhand once or twice off of the tee and also use it to get out of trouble sometimes.

I throw a good number of tomahawks and thumbers. When I throw longer shots (drives), I will throw a valkrye in champion which does the whole rotation or a reaper in z which is more overstable and turns slower. For up shots, I like to throw an aviar in the star plastic. For a shorter throw but not really in putting range I find it really easy to get the disc to fly and land flat. Great for going around things and with practice you can scuby your disc right under the basket (I don't go for chains because the flat sided of the disc will rocket you way past the basket if you miss metal).

I've only tried an overhead / tomahawk shot a couple of times. The discs that work best for me were very lightweight discs like my friends dragon, or my 150 shark. When I used these, they went perfectly straight over the obstacle in front of me, did their little flip and landed about five feet from the basket. I only use this throw for going over obstacles, which are rare here in hampton roads.

I have a 150g factory second Champ Sidewinder I use to get out of trouble, or when I'm in the trees. It works great for a thumber/tomahawk. I can't get a whole lot of distance, but I can get my self out of trouble and closer to the basket. I also have a dx banshee that works good for overhand.

And the beat dx beast I have is way understable, it was that way off the rack and continues to head farther under the more trees I hit. I throw sidearm and it works great for left turns.

firebird- best thumber out there, throw it to the left of the pin it will bounce right

I just recently picked up an FLX surge. This thing is ideal for thumbers. the FLX material is awesome. I have thown this thing as high as I can going over trees landing on rocks and the disc still doesn't even have a ding on it. I play Circle C in austin a lot and with all of the rocks out there a durable disc is a must.

Little update,,,,

If anyone is throwing a Destroyer for a distance overhand shot I encourage you to try the Boss. I throw it the exact same as I would throw the Destroyer and get about 25 to 30 extra feet. It has now replaced my Destroyer completely and I now have no use for the Epic. I threw the Epic for pure distance but I can get the Boss just as far but with more control. I won a CTP this weekend so I am happy.

Little update,,,,

If anyone is throwing a Destroyer for a distance overhand shot I encourage you to try the Boss. I throw it the exact same as I would throw the Destroyer and get about 25 to 30 extra feet. It has now replaced my Destroyer completely and I now have no use for the Epic. I threw the Epic for pure distance but I can get the Boss just as far but with more control. I won a CTP this weekend so I am happy.

Nice!

What weight and which runs were you using Boss for tomahawk or thumber?

just curious if anyone had any reccomendations for tomahawks. just got an epic and an avenger. both are incredible, but i would still like to know if any vets out there have more suggestions.

i throw my epic (that is until i lost both of them) by having one finger on the inside of the fat part of the lip and the rest of my fingers curled around the outside of the disc. most people throw with the smaler side i just find i have more control the other way.

My thumber drive is my semi-secret weapon. Disc weight is an important factor not discussed here-172 grams works for me. The best thumber disc (IMO) is a CHAMPION firebird, 172 grams. Throw it really hard, but with more of a line drive than big altitude parabola. Keep your elbow angled as it would be throwing to home plate from center field, and don't throw your shoulder out. I can consistently throw 300-310' in the air, with an occasional roll. Threw a 371' this year, longer than my backhands.

Predat

I use a Champion Orc for all of my approach shots (250' or less) and all of my "get out of trouble" shots. Anything over 250' I use a Z Predator.

Latest posts