• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best driving putter

Best driving putter?

• Aviars (BB, JK, KCP, BB, Etc.)

Votes: 42 12.2%
  • Classic Roc

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Pro Pig

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Rhyno (Pro, Champ)

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Banger GT

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Challenger

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • Focus

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Magnet

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Zone

• Jokeri

• Anode

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • Ion

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Ridge

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Summit

• VP

• Sole

• Pure

Votes: 58 16.9%
  • Spike

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Sinus

• Judge

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Clutch

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • Wizard

Votes: 89 25.9%
  • Suspect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Envy

Votes: 2 0.6%

• Total voters
Magic for easy right hand turns
Slightly beat in evo wizard for straight shots
Glow z zone for when you absolutely positively do not want to go right (or far for that matter, most OS disc I've ever seen)

Soooo..... a KC Aviar... :p

Actually no... KC Aviars tend to get straighter with age. A good firm JK is overstable and that overstability lasts a long time. I have about 6 in circulation from old and lightly flippy to almost rhyno stable for spike shots. Plus... a JK is great in ALL weather. wet or cold or hot or perfect.thrown right, you can get a JK Aviar to go at least 370, more like 400. I have parked hole 12 at USDGC in 2 shots with a first shot Boss, second shot JK, straight at the basket. Uphill, about 390.

Opto Pure and Yeti Pro are the best straight driving putters out there. They seem to fly faster and further than any other putter I've thrown, especially the Pure. I've got a 168g Yeti that is just sick. Holds a line for days...

I still like the Ion the best, although the Anode is a bit better for going both ways. Even against other premium plastic putters, MVP stuff just seems to stay so much more consistent as they wear in to me. They FH really nicely too, which helps make up for the fact that they don't do annys well unless they're trashed.

Polecat is my favorite lid type putter for finesse drives.

I say again that a nice stiff Pro Pig is the tops for OS putters when driving. I use it on all short holes. Its really the only putter I drive with consistently, but Ions and Anodes are awesome too. Reallly there are so many great putters to drive with. I think just about every common putter has been names in this thread which I think is awesome. It shows the diversity of the sport and how everyone has their own preferences.

I'm gonna investigate the Ion and the Anode.

I'm pretty sure the Aviar P&A is the wrong answer.

Received my Anode in the mail today and went out in to the field to try out some drives. I'm likin it. I can get my Wizards out to about 200'-225', and I out-drove them every time with the Anode. Also liking it for 50' putts. I have my Warlock for that, but it's definitely an option if I ever wanna switch it up.

Two best that I've used so far are the Wizard and Ion. Magics aren't bad either.

Might have to pick up an Anode, see how they fly.

Has anyone experience with Legacy's putters as far as driving is concerned? Can someone offer a comparison?

Been throwing wizards as driving putters for years now. I recently was introduced to the pures via the gookin and his disc golf acquaintances. For me it flies like a worn wizard but with a shallower rim; a-la the buzzz. I recall the booter saying something about it being like a mini-buzz. I must agree. Very similar to a worn pro-d zone, but a touch slower and a tad less stable. I can see a worn pro-d zone and the pure being interchangeable, besides a few feet of distance (advantage zone).

I get a cleaner release for full power (power grip) drives off the pure than i do with the wizard. I still use my wizards for fan grip approaches. This is purely preference. I throw shallow rimmed mids so the pure fits a bit better.

To clarify: I throw an opto pure and as I find it comfortably shallow compared to a wizard, its not quite as shallow as my comparable pro-d zone.

Wizard v Pure

I'm a StL guy so wizards have always been readily available. Ever since joining DGCR I started to realize the driving potential of putters. My question is:
If the pure is a "mini buzzz"...
Would the wizard be closer to a "mini roc"?

I'm finding that the soft Gateway plastic feels and breaks in a lot like KC pro and I'm starting to cycle wizards, in addition to my rocs. I may have just answered my own question but! It's fun to think about the comparisons.

I'm a StL guy so wizards have always been readily available. Ever since joining DGCR I started to realize the driving potential of putters. My question is:
If the pure is a "mini buzzz"...
Would the wizard be closer to a "mini roc"?

I'm finding that the soft Gateway plastic feels and breaks in a lot like KC pro and I'm starting to cycle wizards, in addition to my rocs. I may have just answered my own question but! It's fun to think about the comparisons.

yes the Wizard has long been considered a "mini Roc".

I'm going to vote Opto Pure as well. It just fits in my hands right. The Ions and Anodes for some reason just never gripped right for me. So it's all a preference thing here. But I took my Opto Pure out for a one-disc round on one of our short, technical courses and only shot about 4 or 5 strokes over my best round with a full bag. I've never been able to work a putter like my Pures.