• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Eclipse Route from Yankeeville...please help

Menacewarf

Double Eagle Member
I hope to come through roughly around charlotte but from there have about 4-5 possible routes toward totality. possible routes ive eyed going southwest through the tp of SC toward totality are...

or

85?

any advice as to what of these or other routes might not be jammed up would be much appreciated! I'm sure all will to some degree but any local advice would be appreciated.

no destination in mind other than that big northwestern chunk of SC which totality is going through. might play a round of disc on the way home to keep this on topic ;-)

I'd drive interstate until traffic gets bad, and figure it from there.

Not sure exactly what you're asking---I assume 85 is I-85, Charlotte to Greenville. By 11 do you mean, S.C. highway 11? I can't find the others in SC.

Here in South Carolina, it's a Nobody Knows situation. Dire warnings about possible traffic nightmares, but perhaps like Y2K, everyone will take so many precautions that it's not a big deal. At least getting here; leaving is like to be far worse.

I'm near Newberry, 2 miles from the centerline of the eclipse (I'll get a half-second less totality than the max), and the backroads route from Charlotte to here is only a few minutes longer than interstate, on a normal day. I'm advising Charlotte folks, coming to watch the eclipse at Stoney Hill, to do that. No one knows if the backroads will clog, but they are pretty remote places.

If you're just coming for the day, you might check let the weather make your last-minute decisions as to which route. Take the one that's a little more easterly or westerly, to give you the best chance of clear sky.

.....and sorry if that's a too-late response. Newberry's having a weekend-long eclipse celebration, and we're trying to accomplish an unprecedented summer mowing with a balky tractor, in advance of visitors Monday, so between the two I was very uncharacteristically off-line yesterday.

not in your area, but on the line of totality. my advice: LEAVE EARLY. it's worth it!!