• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Best gateway approach putter!

I like other discs better for approaches and driving, but the Wizard is still great for this...so I agree, just pick up another one, maybe a little firmer and heavier than your putting putter. Voodoo is another excellent choice...slightly shallower and a good driver. I like it better than the Warlock.

Great non-Gateway options would be an Anode or opto Pure.

The wizard is excellent for drives and approaches, go grab another one.

They start pretty overstable, then break in to be roc-like disc only slower. They have a very long life even in base plastic.

Go to the store pick out a nice pretty ss wizard then go beat the living hell out of it till the flight plate gets so soft you feel like you can put your fingers through it then find you a basket on a steep slick hill then throw a nice hyzer approach and smile because it just stuck to the hill and all you have left is a nice 2 foot putt:D

I just bought 4 Gateway putters and one Discraft to practice around with. Starting to get the feel of each and this is what I have found for me personally. I have been throwing the SS Wizard for most approaches and some putts for the past 6 months. I bought a Voo Doo in SS @175, Warlock in SS @175, Magic SS @174, and a Discraft soft banger GT @175. So far the Voo Doo feels stiffer than the others and flies the line you put it on. This disc is easy to throw with a clean release. The Warlock seems to me to be more overstable than Wizard for me with about the same glide. The magic seems to be a little more touchy for the upshots, as it will turn over pretty easy, but feels like a solid putter with lots of glide. It is alittle understable as stated earlier. The soft banger GT is money for me with approaches. It flies alot like the wizard, but much easier to get a nice controlled anhyzer with a flat finish. This is taking the place of the wizard for approaches just due to the hand comfort and controlled/clean release I am getting. I have been told the grooved top is a love/hate type thing. Just my opinions on the putters I have tried. Hope this helps some

I would definitely second the wizard as an approach disc. Personally, though, I use a champ rhyno for an approach..... unless I am in jump-putt territory of about 70 feet and in... which case I use wizard.

Thanks guys for you inputs. I'm hearing a lot of good ideas and I'm stuck on another wiz or a voodoo? What do u guys think I love the feel of the sss wizard and the lines but I'd feel like I throw off my putting if I use it for approach shots. How does the voodoo feel? Do I gotta beat it in?

Get a Soft Wizard for more stable upshots,Soft Voodoo for the more straighter upshots,and a Soft Magic for the more anhyzer types of upshots.

I feel that the Soft Molds works best for upshots since grip and control is what you need.

I'm assuming u mean broken in like beat to heck! Cause the zone is crazy overstable.

drive into a few walls or trees with a pro d it is not as overstable as its counterparts esp/z. does not take long to beat one in, pro d is garbage material. also if your not getting the disc up to speed you are not throwing it correctly. not saying you but just in general. mine is 172 and will take lines my glow and z buzz will take but not as far. i would not recommend any of the other plastics.

Evo Wizard--> Wizard in a plastic similar to Innovas Star plastic, really durable and gummy, called a E-Series Wizard--> Wizard in Evolution plastic.

Thanks guys for all your inputs. I've decided to get a ss wiz and ss voodoo and maybe a evo wiz to see which one would be best for me for approach shots.

Thanks guys for all your inputs. I've decided to get a ss wiz and ss voodoo and maybe a evo wiz to see which one would be best for me for approach shots.

That Evolution Pro Line(they still call it that right?)Wizard will be great as a Driving Putter.

I have a old White Evolution Pro Line Wizard from 2004 that still throws like it is brand new.I can bomb this thing,well for a putter that is. :D

I think you will use the Vodoo for more of your upshots,but that Wizard will still be called upon from time to time.

It's called evolution hpp wizard.
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/ST-4721/Evolution-HPP-Wizard/
But I decided to get a voodoo and evo and I can use my extra wiz cause I'm Gettn like 4 extra for practice. But what's sme good weights for voodoo ad evo and mold for approach. I'm kinda stuck on ss for voodoo 168 and evo 168. What y'all think and how doe the evo feel? Soft hard? SSS?

Evolution HPP you say?I guess my Evoultion Pro Line Wizard is probably rare now. :D

Dave Dunapice from Innova has always said that 168grams is just the right weight for putting.

Me on the other hand never liked that weight.I've always used 175grams for putting and 175grams for drives.I think the more weight that is there the better wind resistant the putter will be and easier it will be to drop in the chains.

A local Pro told me this years ago and I've just stuck with it.

Wow... That makes so much sense lol now I feel kinda dumb going with the lower weight for putting but I like more glide and not have to put sme ummphh in it just to hit the chains from 70ft cause I don't like jump putts that's why I started to stick with 50ft in for the chains but 175 for drives?? Hmmmm would 173 have more glide? Cause I put with 170 I think lol but I like the idea of 175 but I don't wanna loose any glide....

Wow... That makes so much sense lol now I feel kinda dumb going with the lower weight for putting but I like more glide and not have to put sme ummphh in it just to hit the chains from 70ft cause I don't like jump putts that's why I started to stick with 50ft in for the chains but 175 for drives?? Hmmmm would 173 have more glide? Cause I put with 170 I think lol but I like the idea of 175 but I don't wanna loose any glide....

Well I only weigh about 150lbs soaking wet and I can hit 260ft to 280ft with Aviars and Wizards.All at 175grams.

I think at first you may seem like you are loosing some glide,but once you get use to it they just get so much easier to throw than the lighter weights.Lighter weights for me get hung on my hand and when I used my old beat up KC Pro Aviar I felt like I had to let go of it earlier.With the heavier 175 gram weight Wizards,Voodoos and Aviars I don't have to worry about it.

Going back to the 168 gram putters.I don't think there is anything wrong with it.It's just I feel they heavier the are the more stable in the wind they are and when they do hit the chains they come to a sudden stop because of the extra weight.

Deffinately work with your 168 grams to see if you like them.Also go out and but one 175 gram and see if you like it.Not everyone likes the heavier putters.