• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best place to play in Pennsylvania

Which is your favorite course in Pennsylvania?

• Blue Mountain Park Courses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Camp Sankanac

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Deer Lakes

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Jordan Creek

• Moraime State Park

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Norcamixon State Park

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Tyler State Park

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Knob Hill Park

• IUP College Lodge

• Othe(let me know which course is your favorite)

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Billy K2

Par Member
Hey. I have decided after my southern Ohio/ Kentucky trip, I would head over to Pennsylvania and check out a course or two. So if you can vote for your favorite PA course, I would appreciate it. Thank you!:thmbup:

No where to vote. You'll be looking for courses in the western part of PA though? So your choices are Deer Lakes and Moraine...well my choices.

I just returned from a trip to western PA yesterday and played both Deer Lakes and Knob Hill. Both were very enjoyable and had plenty of options to make the course challenging for everyone from rec to adv. I also have to add I took the short trip[ down to northeast WV for an afternoon and played Seth Burton and Orange Crush, they are in the same park, and both were great courses. If you can hit the Morgantown area on your way in or out of PA i would recommend it.

I voted for Tyler but the Blue Mountain courses are awesome and would be a close second, Jordan creek is also a great course that if in the area should be played.

other courses

While I voted for Moraine, there are many fine choices - would be happy to play any of them!

You may want to add Quaker's Challenge and Coyote Hills as options.

All people who voted Tyler have obviously never played Nocki. IMO Nocki is the best course in PA, maybe even the East Coast.

I live and play in PA. There are many good courses in PA that I haven't played yet, but of the PA courses that I've played Nockamixon is the best.

Next time you go to your local course, pay attention to the "bad" baskets -- the "fillers". Nockamixon may only have one of these -- #4, and even it's a fun basket to throw. So many of the courses that I've played Nockamixon's "worst" basket would be their best basket. Would I rather play Idlewild (KY) than Nocky -- yes, but that's because the high-end stuff out-do Nocky's, but not by much. Although Idlewild's #4 is a worse basket than Nockamixon's #4, and Idlewild has another "filler" in #13 (right? -- that's the crappy little tunnel uphill thing that's been moved out of the woods by the tall grass but still is just a basket that you play and wonder "why is THAT here among all these spectacular baskets . . ?")

I've only played the peak course at Blue Mountain and that's just work. The base course is supposed to be "all that" but I haven't had the pleasure yet. If I'm heading north from Philly it's tough to pass up a round at Nockamixon, and if there's time a Nockamixon/Jordan day is borderline nirvana.

With limited time for commuting to a course I spend most of my disc golf hours at the best course within a half-hour of my SE PA house which is Iron Hill, but is Iron Hill the "best" place to play in PA similar to Idlewild (KY) being Ohio's best place to play . .. . ?? Probably not.

Is there anyway if I were from Ohio and had to drive to a course in PA to play would I bother to drive past all the great courses out in western PA to get to Nockamixon? Not a chance -- it's too damned far and the quality of the western PA courses just wouldn't make driving all the way east worth it -- Deer Lakes, Moraine, etc., more than hold their own against our eastern PA courses. I can't wait to get back out there. Last time I played Deer Lakes there were dirt pads .. . .

Is Nockamixon a better place to play than any other place in PA . . . yes. How's that for a short answer gone long?

So many great courses in PA, I've not been to Blue Mountain, but my ranking is something like:
1. Nockamixon
2. Camp Sankanac
3. Moraine
4. Quaker's Challenge
5. Deer Lakes
6. Tyler
7. Codorus
8. Jordan Creek
9. Knob Hill
10. IUP

I just played Camp Sankanac this weekend and I wouldn't put it that high on the list. I think French Creek is a much better course. Sankanac isn't a true pro level course. Felt like a par 58 course where they only thought out the first half. South Lebanon belongs on here. Reminds me of a so cal park course but not designed in the 80's and expanded.

Nockamixon is just better

I love Deer Lakes, Jordan and IUP for their combo of 1/3 super fun cool holes and then 2/3 fun but easier holes

Moraine is just a very demanding course with some unique topography...it's a pro course as the rough is ROUGH

Nockamixon is fun, pretty, unique and very very challenging.....it's just the perfect stew of holy cow and holy Sh!t

I've played every course on the list above and voted for Deer Lakes. Hard to say which one would be next...Blue Mtn, Moraine, Nocky and Jordan are all outstanding.

Many good choices - stay west

I like many of the Pennsylvania courses - tough to choose between the Big 3 in the west (Moraine and Deer Lakes somewhat better than Knob Hill) or the Allentown Area (Jordan Creek and Nockamixon) or just south of Pottstown (Camp Sankanac and Jordan Creek) but if you're already in the west anyway (Ohio and Kentucky), might as well hit Moraine and then Deer Lakes time permitting. Save the central and eastern courses for another trip when you can play 8-10 courses. And play Tyler and Iron HIll as well.

I really enjoyed IUP College Lodge and have played many many rounds there during my stay on campus. Everything is always in great condition, and the grass is always short, so be prepared for at least one skip on those big downhill drives. Only problem is that they take the baskets out for winter due to sledders and such. But worth a stop in you're in Western PA. For eastern PA I've heard great things about French Creek, but never played there myself. My new favorite over there is the Blue Mountain resort, 5$ for 2 18s and a 9 but again, as it's a ski resort, its a no go during winter.

I just returned from a trip to western PA yesterday and played both Deer Lakes and Knob Hill. Both were very enjoyable and had plenty of options to make the course challenging for everyone from rec to adv. I also have to add I took the short trip[ down to northeast WV for an afternoon and played Seth Burton and Orange Crush, they are in the same park, and both were great courses. If you can hit the Morgantown area on your way in or out of PA i would recommend it.

This!

Also, I've never played Moraime, but Moraine is amazing. ;) No trip to the area is complete without it.

I haven't played the western PA courses. For me the list looks like this:

1. Sankanac (no other course has this much variety)
2. Noc
3. Blue Mountain, mountain top course
3. Jordan Creek
4. Tyler
5. French Creek
6. Bear Creek Mountain course
7. Ship Rock
8. Sellersville (a good warmdown after nockamixon)

And they are not in PA, but I love Iron Hill and Brandywine, in delware. Iron hill is like Nockamixon without the scenery.

Last edited:

Latest posts