• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Putter

I'm currently using a pro Rhyno. Real soft and flexible. Good for short shots and approach, but the wind just tears the thing up. I'm looking for a putter that's better on distance and in potential wind. Preferably not an Aviar. I just never could like that disc.
I use a pro Rhyno too. If it's too windy I switch to a pig or my gator. They both seem to be good wind substitutions.

i just got a R-Pro Aviar and to me it seems good for the closer putts and approaches but i like the JK-Pro Aviar-X and reagular DX Aviar P&A for my approach shots. My hands seem to like the stiffer plastic instead of the soft ones

That is like asking what the best looking woman is. Every guy has their own opinion. All they really want is to hit the target.

I agree strongly with bobby on this one. The best putter is the one that fits your need in a putter. No 2 golfers are the same. They may use the same disc but most likely they chose it for different reasons.

I don't think there is an objective #1 putter.

We all have the putters that WE like, and that is what you are mostly being recommended. I like Ions, but that doesn't mean they are the best.

There are putters that have been used more than others in high profile tournaments, like Aviars, but that is more a result of Innovas age and market position than it is the performance of the putter.

Putters are a very personal thing. You need to feel multiple types and try them out.

In the circle they make minimal difference. It's putting from 50-90' where the differences will really show, and even moreso when you drive and approach with them.

The best advice IMO is to find a putter mold that has decent dome for nice glide, is stable enough to fight moderate winds without issue while not being an overstable brick, and is available in a plastic that YOU enjoy using. Once you have figured that out, buy at least 3-5 of them and practice at least once or twice a week outside of playing rounds.

Then consider buying the same one in premium plastic for a driving putter, or getting some putters of a different mold for this role.

I disagree, vehemently!
The best putters change every so often (based on what I have available for sale at the time). Until recently, Wizards were best, butonce I sold those, that title went to the Focus. The Focus boat sold as soon as I sold those, and the best putter ATM is the X Putt'r. :p

Swirl APX's will never be best, because I'm never selling them. :|

Last edited:
I putt with Wizards. I really feel that practicing with a Wizard has taught me how to putt better. It's so stable that it really is teaching me about finger spring and letting the disc drop in the basket. It works just fine from further out for long putts and upshots, and I can run at the basket from seemingly any distance, and if the power is right, but the aim is off, Wizards just sit the hell down.

For reference, I straddle and spush put depending on the lie. I have been told by more than one person my straddles are Nikko clones, and my spush is dead on Wysocki. Granted, I don't make nearly as many from any distance, but I think these two are on to something using these techniques with stable putters...

So, I recommend a good stable putter to learn finger spring/ how to effectively use the natural arc of a falling disc to basically basketball it in the basket. KC Aviars are SICK putters. I love my Wizards. Haven't tried a Yeti Aviar, but heard they are cool as well. Ions are very close to Wizards imo, but I just prefer Gateway plastics for putters.