• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Vintage Plastic Throwers Club

I have seen some walled lake with that stamp. I remember when they started using that stamp. I think the comet mold didn't get updated as early as some others. They had moved away from the walled lake factory before I started playing, around when the first runs of Z were made. 2002 ish. So Pred, Reapers, Hawks and Comets were some of the only discs made in Z that early. Comets are the only ones I have ever seen with the walled lake embossing and not 4 point or earlier stamp design. Still a 2007ish run of comets, some of the best.

^I had a cactus cyclone like that in the bag until my son put it in one of the ponds on Highbridge Blueberry 2 years ago.

Re: the comet, I haven't thrown much Discraft recently and I still think of that as the new Z stamp. Funny that it's been around since at least 2008.

I have a 150 cactus cyclone still, it was my lefty driver of choice when my right hand was broken.

I have seen some walled lake with that stamp. I remember when they started using that stamp. I think the comet mold didn't get updated as early as some others. They had moved away from the walled lake factory before I started playing, around when the first runs of Z were made. 2002 ish. So Pred, Reapers, Hawks and Comets were some of the only discs made in Z that early. Comets are the only ones I have ever seen with the walled lake embossing and not 4 point or earlier stamp design. Still a 2007ish run of comets, some of the best.
Early Z Comets are funny. There were of course the Ron Russell Z Comets. There were some DGLO Z Comets one year. There is the run that has the X Comet stamp on them. So there were Z Comets around, but they were kinda like the LE ESP Comets in that they were not in regular production. You kinda had to get 'em when you could get 'em.

My Comet was a Sun King-only disc released as a Players Cup fundraiser disc (remember when the Players Cup was a major?) in the Fall of '08. They had the then-new stock Z circle stamp and didn't say "Players Cup" on them anywhere. Why do I remember this? My kids were eight and five; anyone who has ever tried to sneak $$ out of the Christmas fund with eight and five-year-old kids to spend money on themselves will remember the fight. :| You had to get 'em when you could get 'em, though. They were not going to wait around. I was delayed a few hours by the fight with my wife; by the time I ordered, all the heavy ones were long gone. When they came in, my wife make me wrap them and put "From: Dad; To: Dad" on them. :p

The Z's I got from that run had Walled Lake tooling and the weight written on the wing. Discraft was using weight stickers by then, so I'm not sure why the weight was penned.

picture.php

picture.php

Z Comets went into regular production that next Summer in '09; if I had known they were going to be a stock disc I could have skipped the fight with my wife. :| They still had Walled Lake tooling but they had weight stickers (this sticker is long gone but you can see where it was):

picture.php

The patent number lawsuits started around that time and by the Summer of 2011 when the 3rd run ESP LE Comets came out the Comet had no tooling. So any Comet with Walled Lake tooling and the patent number intact is from 2010 or before.

Funny, it really doesn't seem that long ago. The eight-year-old has a Master's degree, though. :\

^I had a cactus cyclone like that in the bag until my son put it in one of the ponds on Highbridge Blueberry 2 years ago.

Re: the comet, I haven't thrown much Discraft recently and I still think of that as the new Z stamp. Funny that it's been around since at least 2008.
The stamp has changed a little, but not so much that it jumps out at you.

picture.php

picture.php

Love all the info, I have gathered some bits and pieces through the years and have seen walled lake comets like those on ebay and was curious. The timing for 08 the stamp definitely makes sense. I wonder if they are old penned stock stamped before sale. I guess I never had a ton of trouble getting my hands on Z comets in 06-08 when I started bagging them. I am not curious to go through the few I have around and check tooling. I do still have a pretty fresh TP/X Stamped Z in my stack. Much like my first comet. I struggled to love the comet for a little while because I overshot the target so often they almost overlaped my Juliana XLs.

I have a 150 cactus cyclone still, it was my lefty driver of choice when my right hand was broken.
I still have 12. :eek: The last two years I ran the disc golf concession at White Birch I had my resume out; I wanted out of that place. I was stocking up on Aviars, Rocs and Cyclones. Every shipment of discs I got in during '98-'99 I went though and pulled out the discs I wanted before I put them out for sale. I had 20+ of those molds by the time I left that job. I thought I had a lifetime supply. :p

I stopped throwing them around 2012. If I had kept throwing them I might be down to one by now.

I did enjoy ESP Cyclones when they were a thing. They, especially domier ones, were much more like Cyclones than the Z attempts. Z cyclones were such a silly disc. The domier ESP cyclones were almost like long comets, good line holders, and flatter ones were much like a good Gazelle, shot shaper that did straight to fade well as well.

I did enjoy ESP Cyclones when they were a thing. They, especially domier ones, were much more like Cyclones than the Z attempts. Z cyclones were such a silly disc. The domier ESP cyclones were almost like long comets, good line holders, and flatter ones were much like a good Gazelle, shot shaper that did straight to fade well as well.
Also still in the bag:

picture.php

I have an exact replica of this one plus one of the flat white ones from the first run of ESP Cyclones. I've got two later ones and one of the Ledgestone ones they ran a couple of years ago. Given that I'm still throwing my first one, I've got more than an lifetime supply of ESP Cyclones.

It's kinda funny, "vintage" is a moving target.

When we finally got a course here and started a league in 2010 this Cyclone was in my bag:

picture.php

I have a buddy who has only been playing a few years who has decided he is a cyclone thrower. Gave him a small stack the other day. God it sucks to lose to someone throwing plastic I gave up on over 20 years ago.

Did someone say old Comets?

nye9Nl5.jpg

That top right one says this underneath:

VbcEQiA.jpg

I don't throw any of those, though.

I bag these two, though. The Z is first production run, no tooling. The LE ESP is Walled Lake tooling:

7Rx9Z5H.jpg

Some other older Discraft plastic:

gFb8uLf.jpg

iCsKUT0.jpg

CNjL5el.jpg

Buncha glow - the top row are all Comets. Left stack is modern Z (pretty overstable for Comets), middle and right are first run Comets in some glow blend.

6ChVRRZ.jpg

I've got a moon-stamp glow Z Nuke somewhere, too...

Ok so I went through my box of really old stuff in storage and found some vintage gems

Attachments

• PXL_20230322_210143338.jpg
    PXL_20230322_210143338.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230322_210153242.jpg
    PXL_20230322_210153242.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230322_210224143.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230322_210224143.MP.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 24
First run champ katana, elite x predator and 150 talon

Attachments

• PXL_20230322_210233346.jpg
    PXL_20230322_210233346.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20230322_210244875.jpg
    PXL_20230322_210244875.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 16
Seeing all this old Discraft makes me wish I had kept my X Reaper.

Wrapping up with stuff from our throwers box.

Attachments

• PXL_20230322_210822307.jpg
    PXL_20230322_210822307.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20230322_213820841.jpg
    PXL_20230322_213820841.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20230322_214033733.jpg
    PXL_20230322_214033733.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 25
So not the most vintage stuff but still some decent gems from years ago

Attachments

• PXL_20230322_213933602.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230322_213933602.MP.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230322_214105976.jpg
    PXL_20230322_214105976.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 24
Some other older Discraft plastic:

iCsKUT0.jpg
I swear yellow Soft X APX fly better than any other Soft X APX. I've got basically a matched set to those, but I don't throw APX anymore. My youngest has one of them in her bag now; I keep trying to get her to switch to the Jawbreaker APX so she won't take one of my Yellow Soft X's when she grows up and moves out.

Latest posts