• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Why I switched from Wizards to Ions (long post warning)

I'd like to give an Ion ago. However, due to fairly limited access to discs here I'd probably only be able to get one of the ones that are described as being less stable than a Wizard into the wind. To the point, still worth giving it a go? All opinions welcome.

I'd like to give an Ion ago. However, due to fairly limited access to discs ... To the point, still worth giving it a go? All opinions welcome.

Yes, do it.
Search the marketplace threads, there are a couple guys that sell them.

I'd like to give an Ion ago. However, due to fairly limited access to discs here I'd probably only be able to get one of the ones that are described as being less stable than a Wizard into the wind. To the point, still worth giving it a go? All opinions welcome.
The old textured ones are definitely great, still have plenty of those and I always have some in the bag.

Textured, how so?

I've just ordered one. Looking forward to giving it a spin.
The bottom of the disc isn't smooth, it has a texturing that was supposed to add grip. Didn't quite work that way. Those older ones are straighter out of the box than the new ones.

The bottom of the disc isn't smooth, it has a texturing that was supposed to add grip. Didn't quite work that way. Those older ones are straighter out of the box than the new ones.

But is it not to a major detriment of the disc? Unless I order from abroad there's pretty much no likelihood of me getting my hands on a smooth one. DG isn't that big here. Yet. Or possibly ever.

There were a few runs between polishing out the sandblast and using the new colors, so yes but not too many. I know there were some lime/orange/white softs and white mediums from my memory.

i need that run in my life,mostly the limes.. :(

But is it not to a major detriment of the disc? Unless I order from abroad there's pretty much no likelihood of me getting my hands on a smooth one. DG isn't that big here. Yet. Or possibly ever.
No no no no, that's the ION I fell in loved with, and the later tweaks MVP has done are just that: tweaks. It's always been a great disc.

No no no no, that's the ION I fell in loved with, and the later tweaks MVP has done are just that: tweaks. It's always been a great disc.

This is very true, i actually kind of like the old ones better than the newer ones. The candy plastic is my least favorite part of them by far.

I stubbornly came around to admitting it was a better putter than my Rhyno

Mike C - I am beginning to agree. Although I never did try the wizard, the ion is turning out to be quite an improvement from the Pro Rhyno I had been using.

Played with my new probably old style one today, seemed OK. Didn't drive with it at all so can't comment on that. Certainly felt a bit weird at first, but shall give it some extended use to see how I fare.

Played with my new probably old style one today, seemed OK. Didn't drive with it at all so can't comment on that. Certainly felt a bit weird at first, but shall give it some extended use to see how I fare.
Probably? It's very easy to tell: Is the bottom smooth or does it look like it's been sandblasted?

Probably? It's very easy to tell: Is the bottom smooth or does it look like it's been sandblasted?

It has a large smooth circle in the centre but the inside of the rim and a ring of a few cm on the bottom feels more rubberised. Is this the sandblasting effect you refer to?

It has a large smooth circle in the centre but the inside of the rim and a ring of a few cm on the bottom feels more rubberised. Is this the sandblasting effect you refer to?

That "rubberized" area is where the sandblasting has been removed...So it sounds like you've got a smooth bottomed Ion.

I just picked up two Ions this weekend:

175 Medium, Clear Green, No Texture
166 Medium, Opaque White, No Texture

Are these the same run? I got the 175 after the 166 for wind duties... but if these are different runs then that comparison is a little tricky, right?