• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Why I switched from Wizards to Ions (long post warning)

The 166 M Ion I've grabbed up is not as stable as I thought it would be, if I grabbed one up in the 175 range would I see a noticeable difference in stability?

The 166 M Ion I've grabbed up is not as stable as I thought it would be, if I grabbed one up in the 175 range would I see a noticeable difference in stability?

If it's an untextured one it will be more stable for sure. I have thrown the run you have quite a bit and they are not that stable at speed. All of the clear ones, at every weight are considerably more HSS than the flatter white plastic Ions (especially those white mediums).

Yes. I use my 164 M for lower power shots to take advantage of its excellent glide, but if I'm going for a full power hyzer shots I reach for my 175 soft or 171 soft. Both are noticeably more stable.

this information makes me happy, when i try to get this one out there it just feels a little to light for me to power down on. i'm loving it for long putts and shorter shots though.

Ok, all you bastards. I've got a couple Ions back in the bag. I used to throw an Ion before I tried the whole mold minimizing theory. Instead of using multiple putters to putt, approach and drive I decided to try and find 1 putter that I could do everything with Enter my Wizard period. Using 1 putter made me a better putter. And I could throw the Wizard almost as far as the Ion. So out went the Ion and in went the Wizard. While my putting got better, my approach game and drives never improved. Occasionally things went well, but I just could never get consistent with a Wizard. Great potential, but just never clicked for me.

So now I am not carrying a Wizard and have hit more long putts and approach shots than ever using multiple molds. Ion has played 2 rounds, and I've had a few nice runs at the chains from 150'-200'. Now I just have to figure out all this multiple version of Ion crap, and find the one that works for me. More discs to buy. My wife will not be impressed.

Now I just have to figure out all this multiple version of Ion crap, and find the one that works for me. More discs to buy. My wife will not be impressed.
As opposed to the Wizard that can be totally different every single run, and even during runs, where you ca buy an SSS and get a disc that's closer to Medium than anything else, etc.

The differences between IONs of various runs are really rather small, but they're more readily spotted because each run is so consistent and it's easy to compare them to each other. What you need to know is that all IONs are more HSS than the shape would lead you to believe and have little LSS. The opaque textured bottom ones were the least HSS and LSS, but they still don't turn on a clean rip even on 400' drives (I can't throw a putter that long but Jussi Meresmaa can, and I gave him my IONs to test once), these ones finish straightest. Next come the opaque non-textured bottom ones that are even more HSS and only a little more LSS. These will both soon be sold out and the only way to get them will be the second hand market. Lastly you have the newest clear non-textured bottom ones, and these will be the only ones available soon, and the one that matters most. These are even more HSS and starting to have a Wizard like fade, not finishing as straight as the older IONs.

Thanks. I think I've got a couple older mediums and a newer soft now. Got a couple new, clearer mediums on the way and another soft. That should cover all my bases.

does mvp have a deal like they have for wizards? any offers to pump up sales to the masses? i might be interested in trying them if there was a 5 for 40 type deal. i love zams art on the vector too.

anyhow any facebook/ebay store deals out there for MVP discs? post here if you want one!!! or facebook the crap out of them.

Why would you want five to just try out? Different weights? ION isn't one of those discs that you need to get multiples of just in case you happen to get a few duds. =)

wait... so the non-clear ions they are selling now will soon be OOP? i thought they just went in to production. this is confusing me.

They changed the colorant from an opaque one to a clear one, and will stick with it from now on. They won't be producing both side by side, only the clear ones. Apart from that the plastic is still the same and the differences in flight are mainly due to them weeding out the last problems in the manufacturing process.

got my first ion today. not sure about the inside rim.. haven't thrown it yet, but we'll see.

Why would you want five to just try out? Different weights? ION isn't one of those discs that you need to get multiples of just in case you happen to get a few duds. =)

no i want two vectors and three different weight ions to try the 166, 171, 175. so i know what i like for putting and or driving.

Pretty much the same weights I tried out.

I like the 171 best for putts and shorter drives and approaches, the 175 best for long approaches and drives, especially hyzer lines, and I iike the 164 I have for 50-70% power drives and approaches that need good glide and a straight flight, and full power anhyzer drives because it holds the turn very well and glides great. They can all be used for whatever, this is just how I find myself choosing to use them.

bumping b/c this forced me to order an Ion. I said I wouldn't do it, but after the round I had putting with KC Pro Aviars today, I need all the damn help I can get.

Thats a nice write up. I switched from wizards to Ions (with an affair with challengers in between) a while ago.
My story was a lot shorter though. I lost my fav wiz. Looked through 30+ med wizards from different runs in similar weights and didn't find one I liked. So I ditched them.

My clear medium Ion is finally starting to fly pretty straight after a couple of months of beating. I've been driving, putting, and approaching with it almost exclusively to try and temper it's stability/overstability. I'm glad it's not taking as long as I thought it might...The new Ions want to be straight, even if they start out with some fade.

Every time i start to second guess the wizard i have a week like this. I was deadly inside 30, made about 20 from 30-50, and banged 3 80ft+ with my wiz.

The wizard aint goin nowhere. I hate the candy plastic feel an ion has. I know wizards are hard to find in the texture/feel you want but once you find them its soooo money. How often do u replace a putter anyway? Find 2 putting wiz that u like and they should last years.

Every time i start to second guess the wizard i have a week like this. I was deadly inside 30, made about 20 from 30-50, and banged 3 80ft+ with my wiz.

The wizard aint goin nowhere. I hate the candy plastic feel an ion has. I know wizards are hard to find in the texture/feel you want but once you find them its soooo money. How often do u replace a putter anyway? Find 2 putting wiz that u like and they should last years.

Thats no ****, I had an Ion and two ridges in my bag trying them out. None of my HPP wiz just my soft go to putting wizard. Started sinking everything from 35'-60'. Sadly the ridges left me out in those ranges WAY to much. Ion eehhh well I tried it.

Also in the field work session I did, HPP wiz out drove the Ion every time. Now all they need to do is make the HPP a little more durable.

How often do u replace a putter anyway? Find 2 putting wiz that u like and they should last years.

I've gone through quite a few putters since I started playing. When you drive and approach with them constantly, it happens. Also, snow rounds.

Latest posts