• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Why I switched from Wizards to Ions (long post warning)

Arg.. I'm trying to find a medium ion in the 168-170 range. There be none!

There should be quite a few out there. I know we ran several 170 +/-
Disc Golf Center has no Ions < 170. Marshall Street has a few 169 softs.

See, Chad, the light Ions are flying out of the stores. Making more would be good for business! Um, and the Axis at 165, of course. :thmbup:

Yeah, I'm a pest.

THE NEW IONS SUCK!!! They should have never changed from the old design. The old design was my go to disc but the new one flies different and just sucks period. Too bad they wont atleast reissue the old ones as limited edition discs....sorry, but I've thrown the ion since it came out and I recently lost my unstamped black one, so naturally I replaced it with a new one. I was highly disappointed to find out that it is basically a completely different disc. IM SWITCHING TO WIZARDS

THE NEW IONS SUCK!!! IM SWITCHING TO WIZARDS

who stole the jam from his doughnut? i felt the same way when the starting making cadbury eggs smaller..

which Ion do you have and at what weight, maybe I'll take it from ya?

and good call on clearwater, they do have the ones i seek. they're a good $4 more than other stores though.

THE NEW IONS SUCK!!! They should have never changed from the old design. The old design was my go to disc but the new one flies different and just sucks period. Too bad they wont atleast reissue the old ones as limited edition discs....sorry, but I've thrown the ion since it came out and I recently lost my unstamped black one, so naturally I replaced it with a new one. I was highly disappointed to find out that it is basically a completely different disc. IM SWITCHING TO WIZARDS

TO each their own, but You must be the only person. I prefer the new ions to the old. i feel like the new mediums are the perfect consistency (plastic feel wise), drive better than the old, and still have basically the same flight. good work on the new ions!

Sorry to hear that rnance, I am curious however for my knowledge why you do not prefer these? The Ion is the same disc, we have only removed the underside sandblast so this is a surprise to me.

If you liked the more neutral Ions and not the newer, more stable ones, why would you switch to an even more overstable mold?

I have an unstamped black one with a textured bottom that flies how you'd like that I could trade you or sell you if you would like. I'd be interested in trading it for your new one because I prefer those. I also have a yellow one, and a yellow dyed with a black logo, all textured bottom old runs that fly very neutral like you'd enjoy.

One more point, learning to throw putters further is one of the best ways to increase your overall distance with any disc, most people throwing putters 300+ can also throw 400+ with their drivers.

Just reading through this post and had to Plus 1 this post.

A bit off-topic, but for me, I only throw my putter for one thing: putting. I won't even throw my putter if I'm out around 60+ feet! Why? Maybe it's mental for me, but I want to throw my putter the same way, in the same situations, always. Mental reps, muscle memory, et al. When I used to play golf, I wouldn't get out the 9-iron or 3-wood around the green, or the putter on the tee. My putter did one thing: make putts. And I do the same thing in disc golf.

That said, I made the move from the Wizard to the Ion beginning in April 2011. I had thrown the Wizard for 3+ years, and LOVED it! However, once I was out around 35-40+ feet, I'd seemingly have to put a bit of hyzer line on my putts. And one of the best pieces of advice I got some years back related to putting was that you have three variables (other than elements or obstructions) to contend with around the chains:

1. Left to Right.
2. Up to Down.
3. Distance.

...and that the more you reduce or eliminate any/all of those variables, the higher your one-putting percentage will become.

For me, the Ion has helped on all three fronts. It needs ZERO "hyzer" related to long putts. You let it go and it flies fast(er) and straight as an arrow! That increase in speed also helps the vertical positioning of the disc in-flight as well, which ultimately leads to more consistent distance.

The Ion probably took two shots/round (per 18) off my scores this year...and the Leopard (anhyzer drives) took at least 1-2 more shots/round off my scores as well. Courses I could shoot -7 (Pro Par 3) on in 2010 I've been pushing to -10 to -11 in 2011. From better than most locals and Am/Rec players, to setting or tying four different course records in the span of the past two months (one of which hadn't been touched since 2003, I believe).

It took me about 300-400 practice putts to get the true hang of the Ion! However, now you couldn't pry it out of my hands inside of 50 feet from the basket. Still might not go in...but I'm making way, WAY more putts from 30+ than I ever used to hit, and missing precious-few from inside of 20-25. I'm not Pro though (obviously, since I cannot drive 380' with a putter...only have hit 380' once in my lifetime, with a Boss! lol). But knowing I don't need to get it inside of 15-20' to make that deuce or salvage that par anymore has made me better on the tee too (more loose/relaxed).

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Ion! You've taken this dinosaur's game to another level. :)

Last edited:
A bit off-topic, but for me, I only throw my putter for one thing: putting. When I used to play golf, I wouldn't get out the 9-iron or 3-wood around the green, or the putter on the tee. My putter did one thing: make putts. And I do the same thing in disc golf.
I can definitely see where you're coming from (as a fellow golfer), but there is a huge difference between a golf putter and a disc golf putter: There was never a time that a golf putter was supposed to be a driver, where as disc golf putters (like the Aviar and XD) were originally specifically made for that purpose. If it's a mental thing there isn't much you can do about it, but unless you try you won't know how well it might actually suit your game. Great to hear that the change has been working for you though. =)

And you never took out your 9 or 3-iron around the green, not even for chipping? You're weird. =)

I can definitely see where you're coming from (as a fellow golfer), but there is a huge difference between a golf putter and a disc golf putter: There was never a time that a golf putter was supposed to be a driver, where as disc golf putters (like the Aviar and XD) were originally specifically made for that purpose. If it's a mental thing there isn't much you can do about it, but unless you try you won't know how well it might actually suit your game. Great to hear that the change has been working for you though. =)

And you never took out your 9 or 3-iron around the green, not even for chipping? You're weird. =)

All of this^. I use an 8 iron for bump and run chips on the golf course, it is much easier than a 1 yd chip with any wedge. I also have used my "sand wedge" off the tee, even on a par 4. One one course in my area, I have even used my putter from 25yds off the green. Very tight lie in the fairway.

A Star Aviar still says "Aviar Driver" on it, and I have used a driver for under 100' throws. Whatever gets you in the basket in the least amount of throws is what you should use. Putters are a lot easier to control on most throws for me less than 270'.

Picked up a 166 M Ion today and I'm converted.

I did some field practice at first and was doing some different throws. I can get the Ion out to about 300 on solid line drives with not much height; on distance lines I was getting it out to about 320. I then took the Ion and the Wizard out to my local course and played the front 9 with both discs, then played the back 9 in basically a doubles format where I took the best shot from either disc and played both from there.

On the first 9 I shot (-2) with the Ion and (+1) with the Wizard. The difference was mainly created in 20-30ft putts, although on two drives I sent the Wizard in to trees where the Ion stayed in the fairway. On the back nine the differences really became clear because time and time again I was walking up to play the shot from where the Ion landed. Then when I would have longer putts the Ion always either went in where the Wizard didn't or came closer.

My first impressions were that the Ion does indeed have much more glide than my Wizard and I was getting a better consistency of clean releases from the rounded rim. I do feel that the weight at 166 is a bit light for me in driving situations so I think I'll look for something a little heavier. The Ion does give you that effortless straight flight that the Wizard gives but I feel that the Ion is a bit more workable than the Wizard.

For instance I don't really like using my Wizard in situations where I need a line drive type shot because the Wizard tends to drop and land sooner than I want. With the Ion however you get that extra glide and these shots can be accomplished. Another area where I really prefer the Ion is on anny's, the Wizard seems to have a default anny line that it always takes. With the Ion you can create a couple of different anny lines, for instance, you can throw an anny that stays fading right and lands or you can adjust the angle a bit and get one that stalls and fades back. I find it difficult to create the second line with my Wizard.

Now let's move to the area where the Ion hands down destroyed the Wizard.. putting. Using the Ion for putting was like a revelation of glory. One of my main problems with the Wizard was the way it released out of my hand and the line it took on longer putts. Instead of the floatier lines that drift down and left with Wizard you can throw laser beams at the basket with the Ion. One of the main reasons I've stuck with my Pig for putting is that you can take more direct lines at the basket with the pig in terms of up/down. Instead of floating discs to the basket you can just throw the Pig right at it with the exception of with the Pig you are having to adjust for varying degrees of fade.

For instance on 30 footers with my Pig I'm aiming at the outer right chains and letting the Pig naturally drift back towards the center, with the Ion however you can just aim slightly right of the pole and send a line drive right at it. I was nailing 20-25 footers no problem with the Ion and it gave me instant confidence in those shots. I also hit 3 of 4 30 footers during my round with the Ion which is a huge improvement over my Pig.

Overall it's amazing I could take a putter I bought this morning and outperform a disc I've had in my bag for 3 months first go around. I'm not sure how the Ion will be incorporated in to my driving and longer approaches at the moment but it is for sure taking the slot of putter in my bag and I'm not looking back.

If you liked the more neutral Ions and not the newer, more stable ones, why would you switch to an even more overstable mold?

I have an unstamped black one with a textured bottom that flies how you'd like that I could trade you or sell you if you would like. I'd be interested in trading it for your new one because I prefer those. I also have a yellow one, and a yellow dyed with a black logo, all textured bottom old runs that fly very neutral like you'd enjoy.

PLEASE!!! I feel like the newer ones are a tad domier and just dont fly quite the same. I have a 173g pink in the newer version if you are willing to trade the old unstamped black one. What weight is it?

In addition, maybe its just me, but the sandblasted underside aided my grip in putting. Also it just felt soooooooo goood..I dunno, maybe I don't like change. However, I DO LOVE VECTORS! that disc will hold the perfect hyzer line anytime, anyday

PLEASE!!! I feel like the newer ones are a tad domier and just dont fly quite the same. I have a 173g pink in the newer version if you are willing to trade the old unstamped black one. What weight is it?

In addition, maybe its just me, but the sandblasted underside aided my grip in putting. Also it just felt soooooooo goood..I dunno, maybe I don't like change. However, I DO LOVE VECTORS! that disc will hold the perfect hyzer line anytime, anyday

Yeah Vectors are great, they're real fun to throw.

The black unstamped one is around the same weight as your pink, I can scale weigh it for sure if you want. I'll PM you my address and we can work out the details.

New013 and DerekTonn, I've noticed a lot of the same things you guys are talking about. Seems we're all having similar experiences.

Yeah..."around" should have been "on" in my message...but I was frozen out of edits after a certain time period last night. Oh well.

I get the point though. I'm just saying that for me, I want my putter for putting. Nothing else. There are hundreds of other discs out there to throw...even other putters besides my Ion! I will throw the Wizard, Challenger or other discs off the tee or as an approach on occasion, FWIW. :) But with my Ions, they are my discs inside of 50-60 feet. Period. Let the other discs in my bag do the work outside of that distance. Like that old legal commercial from a few years back (at least in the Minneapolis area): "This is all I do, and I do it well." AKA Ions and banging chains. My opinion only, however.

I have been using them almost since day 1, I have 7 of them and I will never use anything else. I have plastic fetish with these discs, especially with the new runs(without the bottom texture) I have 4 early runs and now they are wall hangers. I love how the day it comes in the mail you can go throw it with no difference from 1 have had for a year and a half. Nothing but love for the ion.

Latest posts