• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Why I switched from Wizards to Ions (long post warning)

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I "made a name" for myself throwing Wizards. I had a long history with Wizards, buying my first one, an orange Supersoft, from Jay at Just Disc Golf a little over 2 years ago. I stubbornly came around to admitting it was a better putter than my Rhyno, then later on figured out how to drive them without turning them over. 2 years later I could toss that same Wizard 350' on command (Thanks DGR!). I putted with the 1 same wizard for a year I believe (166g organic proto worn), and have all but one of my aces with Wizards (6 or 7?). I owned over 30 Wizards at my peak. It became a joke on my local course for people to ask stuff like "What was that, a midrange?" when I threw 420' drives.

So it was surprising to some people when I showed up to the course with no Wizards in my bag. I still think the Wizard is one of the finest discs I've thrown, and would never try to talk someone out of throwing them. But I do know that I've found a disc that for me, works better. That disc is the Ion and these are the reasons why it's in my bag. Though to be fair, I've only thrown the Ions for about a month now, and haven't touched a Wizard since I switched, so maybe putting with a Wizard would feel different to me now (For better or worse) since changing my technique a little.

I tried out Ions twice in the past and wasn't impressed either time. This was the slot in my bag that had changed least since I started and I was happy with Wizards. I was not in the market for a replacement. The only reason I became interested in the Ion is I saw one in someone's bag and on a whim asked to drive with it on a 435' open hole at my home course. I drove with two of his and got the first one out to about 380' and the next one 10-15' further and they did not travel left to right more than 5' the entire flight, and these were throws that I knew would of gone 360' tops with my driving Wizard.

Disc Feel

Both molds are very comfortable to me, but comparing them side to side feels like comparing old technology vs new. It feels like comparing a 94 accord to a 99 accord....either can get the job done but the latter is a more refined, comfortable ride.

Overall they have extremely similar edge profiles, with the main difference being the Ion has a slightly smaller bead. Also if you look at the top cm of the Ion's overmold and where it goes up into the Proton plastic that area looks flatter than the Wizard. It's a very minor difference but it might account for some of the flight differences.

The biggest difference is on the inside. Rounded inner rim VS non-rounded. I didn't like the rounded rim at first and felt like the disc would want to tilt in my hand up and down some (think more or less hyzer angle). After using it though I wouldn't want to go back to the Wizard rim, which now feels odd in a driving grip to me. The Ion took some getting used to but in the end I feel it was worth it. It's a much more comfortable disc for me overall.

Putting

Putting is the most important part of golf, and one where some players tend to be very picky about the disc they use. Doesn't matter how many 60-100' jump putts my friend sinks with his yeti pro...he doesn't seem to plan on giving up his nearly beadless 11x Aviar for circle duties anytime soon. My putting putter was a 166g Organic proto...velvety, grippy feel without much flight plate flex. I never drove with it, and never putted with anything else. I replaced my putting putter with a 171g Soft Ion, one of the newer runs with a hotstamp and no texture or tooling on the bottom.

The first two times I tried the Ion I felt they were too slick and bouncy to ever be a putting putter, and viewed them only as a possible driving and approach addition to my bag. This time it's the opposite, the putting performance is my main motivation for switching to them. The overmold grabs chains incredibly well and I'm amazed I didn't see that the last time I tried them. Also, putting with the Soft Proton plastic I've noticed the putter doesn't have as many issues with sticking to my hand late on the release like my grippy putting Wizards sometimes would do.

But the main difference is their flight during a putt. For my initial Ion testing I purchased a 175g S Ion and threw it on drives, approaches and putts, against a 3 combo of Wizards (166g putting Wizard, 171g Evo driver, beat SS 175g driver). The very first thing I noticed was my 175g Ion was gliding better than my 166g Wizard....but not every time. Then I remembered what I read about Ions liking spin on putts, and literally as soon as I implemented a little extra finger snap into my putts then Ions were cruising perfectly for me. It was a minor adjustment but one that was completely necessary for me to see the Ions potential as a putter.

So extra glide aside, the second thing that sealed it for me with putts were how straight they flew. I had been gradually going from a more hyzer stlye lob to a straight "laser" style putt. The Wizard wants to fade more than the Ion does and I was fighting this with my putts. I was putting harder than I should to fight the stability of the disc which threw my putts off. The Ion I don't have to do this. Again it's a pretty minor sounding thing but it makes a big difference in putting consistency. Whether I'm 20' out or 100' out I can trust the Ion to just go straight at the basket for me, which is what I do on a putt 100% of the time if the route is open. On hyzer and anhyzer putts they perform well too. They hold an anhyzer more easily than the Wizard, which equals more finesse and less muscle on an anhyzer putt, which is exactly what you want. On hyzer jump putts (That's how I jump putt from 80'-110', reduces the come-back putt length) they've performed well and have never flipped flat on me, even in moderate headwinds. I flirted with the Magic as a putting putter for a month or two because it fit my style better, but it wouldn't hold it's line in headwinds like the Ion and felt a little flippy, where the Ion doesn't, it's just straight.

Driving and Approaching

The biggest differences for me initially were the grip and the glide. The grip, as I discussed, took getting used to but in the end I strongly prefer it to the grip of any other putter, especially in a driving grip where the rounded inner rim comes into play for me (My fingers fan out on a putting grip).

The glide also took adjustment, because the Ions were getting more distance with less effort. I had to throw with more hyzer, less height or less power on some of the short holes at my home course (250', 220', 260' etc.).

The exciting part was throwing them on long, open holes. My home course has plenty that are in the 350-450' range with high ceilings perfect for putter bombs. I parked a 355' hole (Plays a few feet longer due to slight hill) I had only gotten two or three times with my Wizard. Then I parked a 365' hole I had never reached with my Wizard during a round (Had tried a lot), then overthrew it by about 20' a few days later! Ions benefit from spins on drives just as much as putts, but this didn't require any adjustment as I already generated lots of spin on my drives.

I noticed a lot of interesting things about the Ion. It goes further than my Wizard did, glides longer and fades a little more subtly, all the characteristics you'd expect from a more understable mold, right? Well the thing that blew me away is it honestly doesn't feel any less high speed stable to me when I throw it. Again I am throwing Wizards and Ions in the 330'-370' range consistently and on golf lines, and at those distances the Ion does not feel any more prone to flipping than my evo driving Wizards while retaining all the positive characteristics of a more understable mold. This is true not only on a 350' power drive but also on a 40' putt. The Ion is straight. It is not flippy, not at all. It will hold an anhyzer, but it will not unexpectedly turn over on you. This is the main reason the Ion is such an exceptional disc.

One last thing to mention regarding driving the Ion. More than one Ion exist. The older runs with textured bottoms and partially obscured beads are hyzer flippers for me, meaning on a max D line I throw them with hyzer, they flip flat and maybe drift right 1-5', then land moving pretty straight, maybe a bit of fade. The ones I'm using now and referring to for this entire post (Except the beginning where I talk about the 2 drives I threw with my friends Ions, those were old runs) are new runs with hot stamps, no bottom texture or tooling and an even bead. These are not hyzer flippers for me, I throw these close to flat on a distance line and they go straight then fade predictably, but not quite as hard as say a Wizard fades. I made the decision to go with nothing but newer runs for the time being because I didn't want to try and get used to two runs of a new mold and **** up my consistency. I might add textured Ions to my bag later if I feel they'd serve a use.

Availability etc.

One more point then I'm done.

For some this is a big deal but for me it was an afterthought. Yeah, I had my one driving Wizard and putting Wizard I preferred and never did find any others exactly like them (Flat FLX Evo Wizard factory 2nds that glide, anyone?), but this wasn't going to keep me from throwing Wizards.

But I have to say it's nice knowing that if I lost my putting putter, I can order a 171g S Ion and putt with it when I get it. No break in needed, no special run needed, just get the disc and use it. If I lose my driving putter, I can order a 175g S Ion and use it right away. I don't have to hunt down a rare blend of Evo Wizards, and I don't have to throw them for 6 months before they glide how I want. Again it's not what made me switch but it sure is hell nice to know that if I somehow lose one it is easily replaceable.

good write up! i think i need to try these new run of ions?

one question are you a push or spin putter inside the circle?

Good write up ya b*St*rd! Now you got me thinking of giving the Ion another tryout as a driving and approach putter. Thanks a lot. Like I need more discs.

I have a long time buddy who crushes Wizards...I gave him a new clear medium 174 Ion last weekend for helping me out with some stuff. I can't wait until he starts throwing it because I think he is going to be rather shocked.:popcorn:

there goes the neighborhood... if you have stock in gateway drop it. :)

i have had a love/hate relationship with wizards since i bought my first one.

i dont do all that much driving with putters but I DID just oust my wizard for a medium ion for putting duties. I left my wizards at home for a league round last week and my putts from 30' in were lethal. my partner was joking that I "never let him putt" Once I applied that little extra bit of snap to my pitch putt style (that would usually require a huge lob) it was ON.

even in the old school textured mold, there is consistency. I have yet to handle their new smooth bottom mold but as soon as I can i am loading up.

I'm not sure how gateway can even label their discs with a clear conscience. it's like each run of their plastic is a unique snowflake of random softness.

Great write up. I would agree with what you said, personally i have no issues putting with the ion but i have witnessed countless times putting with the ion if you are a hyzer putter that they tend to slip through the chains. Usually from putting to hard from a close distance.

i love wizards so much i would buy a washington wizards custom print jersey with the last name on it put as "GATEWAY" but i'll try an ion because of this write up

the putting aspect of this intrigues me. i putted with pigs for months then tried out the wizard for a while; at first i wasn't happy with the wizard because i do have that little bit of spin on my putts that goes with putting with pigs. after a bit i picked up a technique with the wizard that made me switch over for a month but now i'm back putting with pigs.

the ion sounds closer to my pig in how you have to putt with it so i might make a go of it and try one out. i like stiffer putters though so my question is where does the ion and its different plastics land on the stiff scale?

dammit, i put a wanted thread out a couple days ago... anyone have mediums? new runs?
seriously, though, good write up. this is why i switched. thanks Discspeed. after i switched i shot y best round ever at my home course at a 49 (-5), all thanks to the Ion.

i like stiffer putters though so my question is where does the ion and its different plastics land on the stiff scale?

The mediums are fairly stiff, at least as stiff as Pigs, if not a little stiffer. I don't think the Ion flies like a pig though. It's straighter, a little slower, with a lot more glide. It's definitely faster than the Wizard though.

This article is freakin' messing with my head. I throw a lot of wizards on drives in the 300's...and now I want to try an Ion. How are they into the wind? I have always liked my Wizards for their ability to play the wind as well as they do off the box; if Ions are straighter and take less power, are they as resilient to gusty days?

I have done this same thing but with diff putters. I putt and approach with wizards and decided to go back an try an aviar . I had an amazing round with it and took the wizards out my bag. Over time that initial suprise wore off and i went back to the wizard. This happens with everybody, i believe its a mental thing. I keep goin back to the wizard because i have never hit more putts outside the circle in my life with them.
Your commin very close to saying that its the disc that made ur game better. In my opinion, i would find a putter that works well in all conditions: approach,driving,grip,wind resistance, fell, etc...
Then stick with it and focus on technique.
Any putter can do the job, u just have to know how to throw it.

Aw. I love Wizards too, but its great that you've found something that works better. That's a great plug, good write up.
I had soft Ion once but couldn't get the hang of it.
I really couldn't get the feel of the medium Ions I tried, either.

You talk about the feel issue with the curved inner rim, that was the thing I really couldn't get used to so I'm still throwing wizards.

This article is freakin' messing with my head. I throw a lot of wizards on drives in the 300's...and now I want to try an Ion. How are they into the wind? I have always liked my Wizards for their ability to play the wind as well as they do off the box; if Ions are straighter and take less power, are they as resilient to gusty days?

The new Ions are significantly better than Wizards in the wind. They are faster, which helps them penetrate better. They are also every bit as high speed stable. The real advantage is the weight distribution being heavier on the outside. A 170 ion has as much weight in it's rim as a 175 Wizard, so throwing a 175 Ion in the wind is like if you had a 180g Wizard essentially. They are also flatter than most the overstable Wizards I've thrown, which again helps with wind.

I parked a 275' hole into 20mph gusts the other day with my new 175g medium Ion. I threw it slight hyzer and it never flipped up and still went about 10' past the basket on a pretty straight line. The older Ions aren't quite this good in the wind. Needless to say, I was impressed.

On that note, I like the new Ions so much better than the old that I'm barely throwing my old ones. I'd rather put a little anny on the new ones than throw the older ones flat or slight hyzer because they just fly better imo. The only older one I have left in my bag is a medium proto that flips a little. I'm putting/driving with 170 mediums. I also have a 172g soft and a 175 medium in my bag for different lines/wind conditions. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new ones break in.

for some reason the curved inner rin doesnt bother me. i did use the Ions a while back, then for no real reason i switched to the wizard, and i feel its time to switch back.

Latest posts