• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Big Trip!

I'd skip Winthrop Gold, because of the lack of ropes and the navigation can be pretty tough. But, more importantly, there are better places to play in Charlotte.

IMO I would skip Bracketts, I've heard so many negative things from trusted people about the new layout, It's just not really worth playing over other area courses anymore.

^^^The boulder shot (I think two holes involve it now), at Bracketts, is on a very short list of the most interesting/coolest pin placement holes I've played in @ 10,000 holes played. If they will light the night course, the trampoline hole could be added to that list as well (I even managed to hit said trampoline). And Dave Brackett and the Brackett crew are some of the nicest, most caring disc golf people you will ever meet...so I don't know about that recommendation.

*Connor and I know each other a bit; not trying to blast your recommendation Connor; just adding my .02 cents.*

Heck, I want to go to Brackett's just to hang out in the clubhouse for a while.

This past spring; we showed at Bracketts at dark time. This was my third or fourth total visit there. We had already played three/or four courses that day (our crew split at one point so peeps could play preferred courses). So; we were pretty beat. We hung out in the clubhouse; some guys purchased some plastic, we all had a couple beers....
They partially turned the lights on for us; but not full effect; and no trampoline set up this time. We had one local/long time friend in our playing crew; who knew his way around completely; even in the dark. We ended up staying for hours and hours; past midnight.
Some of the crew even slept in vehicles for a hour or so, and yet returned to join back in the fray. After the clubhouse closed; they actually put a huge cooler of iced beer on the patio; payment on the honor system; as well as allowing us have our brought beverages staying ice cold.
That's Brackett's hospitality...

Like I said, I've heard it's a great place to hang out and have fun, but it's no longer the great challenge it once was, with an excellent layout.

I've pretty much heard its a party destination now, and that's not at the fault of the family, they didn't really have a choice but to change the layout.

So as we approach Charlotte, here is what we are thinking. Nevin, Renny, Angry Beaver, Hornets Nest, RL Smith, Brackets Bluff. Sound like we will get in most of the best ones?

Also, what is worth playing in Asheville or on the way?

you should really do bracketts and bradford or neither.

as doing either requires a different route from charlotte than skipping both. id easily pass up angry beaver as its on the other side of charlotte from the rest

ETA: and yeah. winthrop is a notch or two below everything else you are playing

and on the way to asheville, glen hilton. in asheville, richmond hill. neither will be regretted

It was nice running into y'all at Bradford this evening! Glad you decided to play here, it is my home away from home... my labor of love, hope you enjoyed it. Enjoy the rest of your trip, i'd like to see some of that footage y'all shot at Bradford today. Take care!

Here is the video from our trip. Its been up for a few weeks and I had completely forgotten about this thread. Unfortunately, our trip was cut short because the other guy's grandmother-in-law actually passed away our second morning in Charlotte, NC. So, instead of continuing our trip through the mountains to Asheville, Knoxville, and Nashville, we decided to go straight home so he could be with his family. We did not put every bit of footage from every course on here, but we put a good mixture of the best courses we played. Hope you all enjoy!

Latest posts