• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Disc Golf Pet Peeve

There's a course a half hour from me set up in a city park, a couple was picknicking by hole 2's basket. We asked them politely to move because we didn't want them to get hit and they basically told us to F off. So we threw and one of the discs almost hit them so they flip out and yell about how they didn't know there was a disc golf course here while they were sitting 15 feet from the basket and we had asked them to move. They tried to steal a disc and throw it in the lake but we got there first, very frustrating.

There's a course a half hour from me set up in a city park, a couple was picknicking by hole 2's basket. We asked them politely to move because we didn't want them to get hit and they basically told us to F off. So we threw and one of the discs almost hit them so they flip out and yell about how they didn't know there was a disc golf course here while they were sitting 15 feet from the basket and we had asked them to move. They tried to steal a disc and throw it in the lake but we got there first, very frustrating.

So is your peeve courses in city parks or people being unaware of our little niche sport?

You politely asked them to move, and they didn't. The prudent thing for you to do would have been to simply move on to hole 3 rather than throw at/near them. You're no more or less entitled to the space around basket #2 than they are.

You should have skipped the hole.

i would agree with this. If its a disc golf only park maybe not, but if it's a public park I would still probably skip it if they are not willing to move.

Picknicking was the wrong word, they didn't have food, they were just sitting there on their phones. It would have taken very little effort on their part to move out of the way and the next hole is 300 FT away compared to a 10 foot movement on their part. Our reaction was rude as well but we tried to talk to them before and they were very inconsiderate. There is a completely separate part of the park for people's recreational/normal park activities and then a part for disc golf

Picknicking was the wrong word, they didn't have food, they were just sitting there on their phones. It would have taken very little effort on their part to move out of the way and the next hole is 300 FT away compared to a 10 foot movement on their part. Our reaction was rude as well but we tried to talk to them before and they were very inconsiderate. There is a completely separate part of the park for people's recreational/normal park activities and then a part for disc golf

I understand your frustration, but you've got to skip the hole. If you had driven into one of them and caused an injury, you'd be up sh!t creek and DG as a whole would suffer. It's just one hole...

Yes, it might have taken them less effort to move on than for you, but they weren't inclined to give it, so be the bigger person and move on yourself. What you did is no better than what they did...arguably it was worse because them standing/sitting there wasn't endangering you in the slightest but by throwing at them, you were endangering them.

My biggest pet peeve is when me and my girlfriend are hanging out in a park having a nice conversation, and some douchebag throws a piece of plastic that almost hits me.

I already admitted what we did was wrong. It was a heat of the moment thing and sometimes it's hard to keep your head in situations like that and weren't thinking of consequences at that moment. No need to insult me

I would have walked near them and stood uncomfortably close, acting like I was looking for something. Public spaces and all.

My local course is in a popular public park and playing on the weekends sucks with all the bbq's, quincineros, and what not going on. Usually we are able to get people to move temporarily if they are just standing around, but just skip if it would be too much of a pain for them to move.

It is frustrating to not get the exact 18 in when your putting together a good score, but certainly not anyone's fault. I used to be one of those kids running around in the same park 30 years ago....well before the dg course.

Long story short we try to find times the park is least used.

I play casual rounds much as if I was in a tourney. What I hate is when whoever I am playing with wants to throw 5 discs on every drive. Also, my time to play is very limited and like to get my round in as quickly as possible.

Even worse when you offer to let a group of two play through, then one guy starts chucking multiple tee shots because he's waiting for his playing partner to get off the phone. I could go on ...

Having the pair behind me throw on us for no reason except they don't want to wait another minute. Then when I say something, they still do it on the next hole. Glad they were only behind for 3 holes I guess.

Having the pair behind me throw on us for no reason except they don't want to wait another minute. Then when I say something, they still do it on the next hole. Glad they were only behind for 3 holes I guess.

If it lands close, you either:

A: Throw it back at them

or

B: Throw it as hard as you can in a different direction

I prefer B, because then they have to walk father to retrieve the disc. :|

disc thieves. I have only been playing two months and I have retrieved and returned 20 disc from some nasty terrain; briar patches, skank water, 80 foot trees. I have even made effort to return disc with no name or number. I lost my first bought disc in a water hazard but was in a hurry so I didn't snag it, just knew someone would call. nope

My biggest pet peave would be everyone thinking the sport is nothing but stoners. I love this sport and it is a great family sport to have fun with my little ones.

Latest posts