• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Disc Golf Pet Peeve

I mean the thing I've noticed, in my area, there are smaller courses that are more in the city and people who bring there children tend to go to those courses more. The ones out in the sticks it is slightly different. That being said the types of people out there are more in the redneck type so them swearing around children isn't really an issue.

Thank god we're past that puritanical time. Don't get me wrong, I think people probably should stop that behavior when kids are around, and I do. But parents shouldn't expect it or get upset when somebody doesn't change their own life because they decided to bring kids around. They can politely ask the person to stop, or they can leave, or both. But to get mad about it seems a little entitled to me.

But doesn't it swing the other way as well? It seems entitled to others that some people feel they can act however they want in public and it's everyone else's duty to leave so said offender can have free reign.

I try not to cuss around children, fart in elevators, or pee in the pool. I also say please and thank you. I never thought having a little common courtesy for others was that big of an issue but to each his own.

But doesn't it swing the other way as well? It seems entitled to others that some people feel they can act however they want in public and it's everyone else's duty to leave so said offender can have free reign.

BINGO. I'm not expecting people to quote Thomas & Friends or offer my son a snack, but I would like it if you didn't make him walk through a cloud of smoke and general douchebaggery. We parents aren't asking people to change for us, nor do we expect it, just common courtesy is all. If being a civil human around other humans is too much to ask, though, maybe someone does need to change.

FWIW I don't know Vorpaljesus but he doesn't seem like the kind of shady character we are referring to. I think he's more playing devils advocate. Most of the people on these forums can be counted on to treat the game with respect and hold themselves to a standard that we would all be proud of.

I rarely run into unsavory types on my local course, because it's short and in the middle of a housing development, therefore it's most families that play there anyway. It wasn't that way even a few years ago, but it seems the shady folk have moved on to other courses or given up the game in general.

Any way you slice it, courtesy is always the best policy in any given situation. Some are better at it than I, to be certain, as I'm certainly no Boy Scout (anymore...Eagle Scout for life!) But it's always a good idea to behave like Grandma is watching.

mcphee4.jpg

I get what you're saying. And you're right, I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate.

All I'm really trying to say is not everyone has to behave the way some of us would prefer them to.

So you're saying a father shouldn't be able to bring his kids to the public park to play the course, because they might see chuckers who are drinking, smoking a bowl, and cursing their way up and down the course? That's ridiculous! I've worked as a ski instructor for a number of years and on far too many occasions have shared lift rides with other skiers/riders who've had completely inappropriate conversations, smoked/drank, or blasted loud and obscene music through their headphones right in front of my students. Being in uniform, I always tell them to cool it when I think they've crossed the line, but the fact that people can get on a chairlift/gondola with a 7 or 8 year old kid and their ski instructor and not even think about altering their behavior for that short bit of time just boggles my mind. Same goes for the disc golf course. You see a kid out there playing, just cool it. Put your butt out, watch your mouth, and just be a kind an courteous person to the family... it's really not that hard.

No, not really what I was trying to say. Expecting people to moderate their behavior because of your choice to have them and take them to places where you have a pretty good idea of what may be seen or heard, is wrong. I go to many bars, restaurants, movies, sporting events....where parents allow their children to detract from the enjoyment and experience, paid for by nearby adults. I find this behavior far more prevelent. Should I be angry, vocal and threatening (as some here have suggested) when my paid for entertainment expectations are diminished?

Thank god we're past that puritanical time. Don't get me wrong, I think people probably should stop that behavior when kids are around, and I do. But parents shouldn't expect it or get upset when somebody doesn't change their own life because they decided to bring kids around. They can politely ask the person to stop, or they can leave, or both. But to get mad about it seems a little entitled to me.

I would never intentionally act anything but appropriately in front of anyones child. It was indeed the expectation aspect that led me to comment as well.

I get what you're saying. And you're right, I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate.

All I'm really trying to say is not everyone has to behave the way some of us would prefer them to.

I get where you're coming from. If I see a crowd of DB's hanging at a teepad under a cloud of smoke blaring grindcore and swearing a blue streak, I'm not going near them with my kids.

If I'm waiting to tee off and someone comes up and packs a bowl in front of my kids, we're gonna have w3rdz.

-edit- While blaring grindcore and swearing :D

I smoke cigarettes, but ask my cardmates (if we've never played before) if they mind.
I don't drink alcohol on the course, so that's not a problem.
I try to keep my language civil and respectful (especially around children, ladies, and anyone who I know who would be offended).
I think it's a personal choice to be nice.
I have had to ask folks to tone it down, and if that didn't work, they will be dealt with by law enforcement.

I do some of the things mentioned (drink, smoke, music) but the common thread everyone is touching on is it's not cool to negatively impact other players' experience on the course. Common courtesy trumps all else regardless of what you're into or how you play. While I run across a bad group once in awhile, I'm glad my local course isn't full of thieving drunkards blasting death metal.

I do some of the things mentioned (drink, smoke, music) but the common thread everyone is touching on is it's not cool to negatively impact other players' experience on the course. Common courtesy trumps all else regardless of what you're into or how you play. While I run across a bad group once in awhile, I'm glad my local course isn't full of thieving drunkards blasting death metal.

Latest posts