• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Biggest Disc Golf Pet Peeve

disc thieves. I have only been playing two months and I have retrieved and returned 20 disc from some nasty terrain; briar patches, skank water, 80 foot trees. I have even made effort to return disc with no name or number. I lost my first bought disc in a water hazard but was in a hurry so I didn't snag it, just knew someone would call. nope

that doesnt mean its stolen, that means its lost and you didnt retrieve it.

yeah I know, when I loose a disc I don't expect to get it back. But the whole finders keepers does not seem right either.

I understand your frustration, but you've got to skip the hole. If you had driven into one of them and caused an injury, you'd be up sh!t creek and DG as a whole would suffer. It's just one hole...

Not trying to single you out-just using yours as an example. I don't agree with this line of thought. These parks have plenty of places to do other activities. The disc golf course is a disc golf course. We should not have to skip a hole any more than golfers should on a muni golf course.

People even set up photo shoots on our course. Again, lots of space there not in a fairway. We warn. If they fail to head, too bad for them. I have plenty of insurance and jurisprudence on my side.

Not trying to single you out-just using yours as an example. I don't agree with this line of thought. These parks have plenty of places to do other activities. The disc golf course is a disc golf course. We should not have to skip a hole any more than golfers should on a muni golf course.

People even set up photo shoots on our course. Again, lots of space there not in a fairway. We warn. If they fail to head, too bad for them. I have plenty of insurance and jurisprudence on my side.

We'll just have to disagree. I don't think anyone should consider DG so important that it is OK to risk hitting or injuring someone to make a point. If you really feel that the DG part of the course is solely for DG, talk to the parks people or police to get "trespassers" moved out of the way.

If you hit and injure someone, I doubt if you'll have either insurance or jurisprudence on your side. You'd be negligent, plain and simple. Just not worth the risk/trouble/hassle.

The disc golf course is a disc golf course.

This is incorrect, unless it's on private land. In a public, multi-use park, disc golf will always lose to someone being hit by a disc. It doesn't matter if they have 100 acres to go and have a picnic. You don't throw on people who have just as much right to be there as you do.

If you hit and injure someone, I doubt if you'll have either insurance or jurisprudence on your side. You'd be negligent, plain and simple. Just not worth the risk/trouble/hassle.

I should have been more clear. I'll have plenty of insurance. I'll have jurisprudence on my side.

So sad that so many of you give in to this behavior.

If the disc golf course is in a shared use park, whether there's "lots of space there not in a fairway" or not is irrelevant. Is the course in question well marked so that non-golfing pedestrians and park users are well aware of what's going on? Even if they are aware of the course (like say a golfer has politely warned them and advised them of not staying where they are), that doesn't mean they're aware of what a golf disc is and how much damage it can do if it hits them. They're more likely to imagine a catch frisbee coming at them than a high speed projectile. There's no justification for throwing at or near them.

The comparison to a muni golf course isn't apt either. A muni golf course is set up as an exclusive use area. People don't just go walking, picnicking, etc at the local muni. They know that its a golf course and generally won't invade the course's space in the first place. Same as most people aren't going to set up a picnic in the middle of a marked softball field or soccer field, particularly if there's a game going on. But if the disc golf course meanders through the park like so many do, the average park-goer isn't likely to know or make the distinction between fairway and "off the fairway". One grassy area is the same as another in their eyes.

Always better to err on the side of caution in those situations. And there's nothing wrong with skipping a hole. You're not paying by the hole or even by the round, right? So if you skip a hole, what are you losing out on? Bit different than the local ball golf course where you've paid money to be able to golf...you want your money's worth so you play them all.

This is incorrect, unless it's on private land. In a public, multi-use park, disc golf will always lose to someone being hit by a disc. It doesn't matter if they have 100 acres to go and have a picnic. You don't throw on people who have just as much right to be there as you do.

No, it's not. It's not a disc golf course only if clear. It's a disc golf course every moment the park is open. Just the same as a picnic table is a picnic table. There are no portions of this course where someone should be doing anything but disc golf. The picnic areas are separate. The trails are separate.

No, it's not. It's not a disc golf course only if clear. It's a disc golf course every moment the park is open. Just the same as a picnic table is a picnic table. There are no portions of this course where someone should be doing anything but disc golf. The picnic areas are separate. The trails are separate.

This is hilarious because 90% of park goers probably have no clue what disc golf is and think those shiny baskets are fancy grills.

This is hilarious because 90% of park goers probably have no clue what disc golf is and think those shiny baskets are fancy grills.

BINGO. This is why we defer to other park goers rather than take the aggressive, "get off my course" attitude. These people don't know what we're doing. A ball golf course, a soccer field, a softball/baseball diamond...those are distinctive sporting areas that even non-participants recognize.

Disc golf courses don't stand out to anyone as something different or special unless it's a disc golfer who is doing the looking. We can't afford to pretend like everyone else knows what the sport is. Educate, don't aggrevate.

Just another reason our sport's future is in pay-to-play exclusive use facilities, whether they're private or public (municipal).

This train of thought is my pet peeve.

Most disc golf courses are in multi-use Parks.

That and most people don't know what disc golf is.

If you throw on someone and hit them, just watch the course get pulled.

I cant believe you can be so daft.

This train of thought is my pet peeve.

Most disc golf courses are in multi-use Parks.

That and most people don't know what disc golf is.

If you throw on someone and hit them, just watch the course get pulled.

I cant believe you can be so daft.

Do something about it instead of just giving in. If a course is so poorly designed as to bring other uses into play, I get you. Ours is not that way. There is no picnic table in play. No play area. No anything but open space.

Much of our pain is self-chosen.

Try getting the park to put up signs indicated that the area is exclusively for disc golf, and non-disc-golfers are trespassing. If they'll do it, you've got some argument. If not, then live with the fact that it's a multi-use area. It doesn't have to have picnic tables or other facilities to be used by others. It can be....just....parkland.

"May the fairways run red with their blood" -thrembo

My biggest pet peave would be everyone thinking the sport is nothing but stoners. I love this sport and it is a great family sport to have fun with my little ones.

I also hate when people that aren't stoners act like us stoners are the unnormal ones. In reality we are all just disc golfers.

I also hate when people that aren't stoners act like us stoners are the unnormal ones. In reality we are all just disc golfers.

WEll stoners doing their thing in what was a nice beginner freindly course here, were responsible for the course getting pulled. I have no problem with whatever you want to do, but at least have enough respect for everyone else to do it in private.

Latest posts