• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

birdie beads

i actually was wondering the same thing, then i clicked on the ebay link and saw that there are 2 strands one for birdies and one for bogeys. i've never seen these before, pretty neat idea. what happens when you run out of bogey beads and have to start using your birdie beads to count your bogeys. that's what would most likely happen to me?!

logically, you would begin to subtract beads from the birdie strand

To me, it just seems harder to remember whether or not you actually USED the birdie beads. On a scorecard, you know whether or not you wrote a number down for a hole. Very obvious when you forget to take score, and where you forgot... with the beads, since there are no distinguishing marks, I'd forget whether or not I moved a bead on each hole. These may seem easier, but they seem far more prone to errors/oversights to me.

Birdie beads is a cool idea, but I feel that it kind of pointless. I think i'd rather just use a scorecard or keep my score in my head, but that's just my opinion.

Birdie beads is a cool idea, but I feel that it kind of pointless. I think i'd rather just use a scorecard or keep my score in my head, but that's just my opinion.

That's waht I thought until a won a set and started using them. I actually prefer to use them in most cases. There easy as hell to use too.

I don't use them myself but in a tournament setting if someone starts tin-cupping a hole, they help to keep track. Also good if you are in a heated battle and you want to track someone else's score.

I'd bet if you used them for a few rounds you'd like 'em. I thought they were weird at first, but they do help in casual rounds with your friends.

I bought birdie beads for myself and everyone that I play with. Most of the time I par so I don't do anything but if I birdie I slide one down, bogey slide one down. There have been games where I had to use them all for bogey beads as well. But when you are doing that bad who really wants to keep count?

The beads are much easier than a pencil and paper, scorecard, etc. I keep the pen and paper in my bag and just write down my score at the end, pull all my beads up, and play another round.

Attachments

• CIMG3353.jpg
    CIMG3353.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 65
hmm I'm going to have to make some of these...just need to know what kind of supplies I need(more specifically what's thick enough to keep them from moving).

You can just use a hand counter. Clip it to your bag. Perfect score of your round.

I paid like $2.25 on ebay shipped.

Hand_counter.jpg

I'm surprised that thing lasts for that cheap...but a great idea.

I'm shocked too. Even mailed from China.

I couldn't even mail that to my neighbor for that cheap... they pay some 7 year old kid to assemble 150 parts and mail it to my door.

I used some homemade birdie beads for a while and they worked great for me, now I've got a scorecard app on my phone that I use that keeps track of hole by hole for me and everyone I'm playing with, so that won out for me.

I was given as set by a gift from one of the lady golfers in the club - I never thought about using them, I just attached them to my bag for the heck of it... well, I did wind up using them for the first time the other day during a snow round when no one had a scorecard.

It worked out real well, I was surprised, my scores were all over the place because of the weather, and I was calling them bogie beads in no time, but I was a fan. I can see myself using them in some solo casual rounds in the future.