• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Boycott the USDGC?

I am thinking that this is an experiment to see how a handicap system would work on a big stage event that will give insight to the PDGA to maybe change their system from ratings to a tradition handicap system that ball golf uses. This is just an opinion.

I am thinking that this is an experiment to see how a handicap system would work on a big stage event that will give insight to the PDGA to maybe change their system from ratings to a tradition handicap system that ball golf uses. This is just an opinion.
It's DGU not the PDGA that's interested in the test.

That might be chuck but i am sure the PDGA will be looking at it also when all said and done. It would be dumb not to look into it and DGU can just give the info they get from it to the PDGA. Lets not beat around the bush on what can happen or cant. This is a big time move from Innova to change the USDGC. Like i said its opinion.

Considering I'm directly involved in supporting both systems, I would know that the PDGA is fine with DGU doing the handicap/performance score thing while the PDGA continues with ratings.

For years in DGU leagues and to determine qualifiers for USDGC 2011. As JP pointed out in his USDGC interview, they have been doing sidebets on handicapped USDGC scores for maybe five years now.

I've enjoyed going to the USDGC the last several years as a volunteer and spectator. I won't be taking the time off of work this year to be part of the event but its got nothing to do with the change. I will still go and watch the last day. For all that Innova has done it amazes me how quickly players turned on them.

I presume the raw scores of the players will be uploaded into the PDGA results page and unofficial ratings calculated. Later official ratings would be calculated like any other event. The USDGC web page will display results and standings based on their projected score method. Ratings won't have anything to do with it during the event. They will just be used to determine each player's initial projected score which will be the same each round. The USDGC standings will simply be based on how many throws a player beats their projected score each round. The winner might be a player who shoots a "20" which is 20 shots better than their projected total score for the 4-round event.

I presume the raw scores of the players will be uploaded into the PDGA results page and unofficial ratings calculated. Later official ratings would be calculated like any other event. The USDGC web page will display results and standings based on their projected score method. Ratings won't have anything to do with it during the event. They will just be used to determine each player's initial projected score which will be the same each round. The USDGC standings will simply be based on how many throws a player beats their projected score each round. The winner might be a player who shoots a "20" which is 20 shots better than their projected total score for the 4-round event.

Wouldn't it make sense then after each round to re-calculate a person's current handicap on Winthrop so the sandbagging is minimized? This might increase the legitimacy of the handicap.

All rounds are presumed to be played at the same time. For example, take two 950 players. They both shoot the same total score for four rounds but Player A had his hot round in R1 and Player B in R4. They should end up with the same ranking for the event. But with adjusting handicaps dynamically as the event progresses, Player A gets screwed when his handicap goes down after R1 and Player B never has the significant handicap adjustment because the event is over after his hot round in R4.

That's great, but it doesn't account for the consistent bagger that qualified early in the year when they were a 900 rated player, smartly chose to not play other pdga events or tanked to drop lower, and now has a realistic rating of 950 or higher based solely on their actual play during the New USDGC. To give them the strokes based on their 900rating seems dumb. Is there any perameters identified yet to address this possibility?

The player's highest rating since last December is used. You realize that making the effort to bag events or not play makes no sense when you figure the cost to enter events and try to manipulate your rating and maybe not cash as well or at all? Especially when there's no USDGC payout and it costs maybe $500-$1000 in expenses to attend?

Those who have been naturally improving this year have much better chances than anyone deliberately trying to game the system. The USDGC this year stands for Upcoming Stars Disc Golf Championship.

Last edited:
The player's highest rating since last December is used. You realize that making the effort to bag events or not play makes no sense when you figure the cost to enter events and try to manipulate your rating and maybe not cash as well or at all? Especially when there's no USDGC payout and it costs maybe $500-$1000 in expenses to attend?

Those who have been naturally improving this year have much better chances than anyone deliberately trying to game the system. The USDGC this year stands for Upcoming Stars Disc Golf Championship.

Well, since pro's quit tournies with one putt left to save their rating, I would have to say that despite logic, the AM bagging will occur. I don't know if you could figure out who might be bagging before the tourney, but I would be curious to know those who qualified and then didn't play any pdga events in the waiting period until the New USDGC.

You can scrutinize every player's tournament stats on PDGA to see. Statistics would indicate that it's unlikely a player will be able to lead wire-to-wire. That would be suspect. Likewise, a player not in the lead going into the last round is more likely to win than in a regular format event. New ratings will come out on Monday just two days before the USDGC which should be interesting.

A lot of suspicion that people will game the system to win a tourney that everybody hates and nobody will attend. One of these premises is flawed.

Latest posts