• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Breaking a disc in

I dont like hitting trees any more than I do naturally so I preferr the slider across pavement.

Here's an idea....what about giving the disc to a kid under the age of 6 and let him go to town with it for a week. By the time you get it back it is sure to be broken in and ready to go with out you having to throw it once.

I don't like your techniques at all. I have no clue what microwaving it will do, but bending it back and forth is just going to mess up it's shape.
What I do to break in a new disc quickly is just skid it down the street on the asphalt to rough up the plastic edge a little bit, just how it would happen naturally over time from just playing with a disc on a course.
I think the act of roughing up the plastic is the key to improving the flight characteristics of a new disc.

yes, and the key to making a disc feel like crap in your hands. nothing worse than the way a disc feels leaving your hand after it has had some severe road rash

My Magnet used to fade a little, and now that its broken in, it goes almost dead straight.

Devil's advocate here. BTW, I do buy into the broken in Star flies better. But back to the Devil's advocate.

Is it possible that the so called broken in disc isn't any better, but the thrower is more in tune with the disc?

Devil's advocate here. BTW, I do buy into the broken in Star flies better. But back to the Devil's advocate.

Is it possible that the so called broken in disc isn't any better, but the thrower is more in tune with the disc?
Totally a possibility. If you give me a previously broken-in disc I'll still have a learning curve. My buddy's old disc isn't going to be instant magic.

Possibly if your talking about a new mold the thrower hasn't had time with. If it's a familliar mold then yes it's the worn disc. That's why when trying a new mold I check the used bins first

No. The thrower will be more in tune with the disc, but it will also be less overstable than originally.

You could argue that the broken in disc is better because it's less overstable, or argue that a new disc is best because it is more overstable -- whatever you like. It's nice to have a new and beat disc of the same mold sometimes.

not really....
a broken in disc has very thin lines/margins of error.... so based on consistency's sake, no its actually worse.

Yes, you can argue that a thrower should be able to handle his discs, but if the disc requires such exact precision that anything less creates a bad throw, isnt that a liability?

If you gave Tiger Woods a magic driver and told him that 5 out of 10 times it would drive exactly as planned and great, 3 out of 10 times it would veer off slightly and 2 times it would fly absolutely errantly, would he take it? I bet he'd take the driver he can be consistent with 10 out of 10 times.

Now before I get beat on any further, and like I said, I buy into the break in, but doesn't it stand to reason that the more you use a disc the more you learn it? The more you learn it the farther and perhaps straighter you can throw it?

No. The thrower will be more in tune with the disc, but it will also be less overstable than originally.

You could argue that the broken in disc is better because it's less overstable, or argue that a new disc is best because it is more overstable -- whatever you like. It's nice to have a new and beat disc of the same mold sometimes.

It's not really a matter of better, but what shot you want/need.

It was said earlier. The beat in disc will tend to loose a bit of fade first while remaining stable (may not be true of all molds, but seems to work for Rocs and Teebirds in DX)

I carry 3 DX Rancho Rocs: a newish flat top, a newish regular, and a wearing regular. All feel the same, same weight, etc. They still fly basically the same, but what I've noticed is this: at medium distances, they are nearly identical. At longer distances (280ish) the flat top stays in a flat, straight line, the new rancho will turn very slightly, then fade back, and the wearing Roc will turn just a hair more and not fade back. The biggest difference seems to be in the last 100 ft of flight.

I carry 2 Teebirds: a newish Champ, and a wearing DX. Newish Champ flies straight with the bigger, predictable fade. Wearing DX flies straight with much less fade and tends to fly a touch further.

I'm a real fan of multiple discs of the same mold in different wear stages and even different plastics. May no be true for all molds but there seems to be a few out there where this really works well.

It's not really a matter of better, but what shot you want/need.

That's what I was saying... that you could argue either way -- depending on which shot you are looking for.

Simpletwist -- you're definitely onto something, a disc you beat in by throwing it for years is going to be special for you. You pretty much know exactly how it flies (for a variety of different shots). When it gets to a certain point though, the disc will no longer be capable of some shots it was in it's brand new / newish state (such as a nice hard, predictable hyzer shot).

Now before I get beat on any further, and like I said, I buy into the break in, but doesn't it stand to reason that the more you use a disc the more you learn it? The more you learn it the farther and perhaps straighter you can throw it?

Not beating on you, just friendly opinions :)

I agree the more you use it, the more you learn it. I believe that will carry over into getting a new disc of the same mold. It's a vicious cycle :wall: .... I just HAD to have a brand new esp surge because I loved how mine flew for the first 2 months (now it's a just a hair too flippy for my liking).

Buy 13 of same mold/weight. Keep two in bag, when reaching go 50/50, keep one for a year and rotate the other monthly.

How to beat a disc in. Step one: Play in NC. End.

I have a friend that said to me "A broken in disc is always better than a new disc." This made me angry on two levels: 1) he tends to act like a know it all when it comes to disc golf (just the other day he was telling me all about a tournament that we're supposed to play - but he's never played it before), and 2) I don't like broken in discs. When I think broken-in I think flippy. I don't want to have to angle a disc down just to keep it from crashing and burning to the right (RHBH). I will say that champ plastic takes a few throws (not what I would call a break in) to get a really nice flight pattern.

That's what I was saying... that you could argue either way -- depending on which shot you are looking for.
I'd argue that it's not a matter of either, but both. You want a spectrum of beatnesses of a disc to get the advantages of new, beat and really beat discs.

a broken in disc has very thin lines/margins of error.... so based on consistency's sake, no its actually worse.
This really depends on the disc. For discs that don't break in well (ones that are really good when new normally) this is true. For discs that do break in well (generally older and slower discs that start off a bit too overstable) the margin of error does not get thinner. The discs get easier to control and less nose/hyzer angle sensitive so it's easier to get consistancy out of them.

Proving whether or not it's the person or the disc getting better is easy. Just get a few discs from the same run in the same weight. Throw them in a field when new, beat one in and then throw them in a field again. If it's a disc that breaks in well the beat one will be a bit less HSS, have less fade, be easier to control and fly farther.

How to beat a disc in. Step one: Play in NC. End.

Agreed. Or just give it to me for a week or two. With the way I have a penchant for hitting trees, it won't take long for me to break in your disc. I'll provide this service for free if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

Latest posts