• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bridges, slippery when wet

tom12003

Eagle Member
I'm sure this has been discussed before but my searches failed to find them.

About 20 years ago I slipped on a wet bridge and broke my wrist during an A-tier.

There is a fairly simple fix--properly installed shingles. I've been cutting shingles into 5x12 inch treads (6 treads per standard shingle) and installing them in an alternating pattern every six or inches from a bridge's centerline. Each tread is installed using a generous undercoat of exterior grade liquid nails and corner roofing nails; without the liquid nails the shingles would probably not last more than a few years of wear and tear. Another pointer is not to use used (sun-baked and brittle) shingles--harder to cut and they do not adhere very well.

In the past month or so, I've installed shingle treads on 100' of bridges (players really appreciate it). Total cost of about $15 (liquid nails and roofing nails), shingles were scrounged from discards left at new construction sites (free).

Last edited:
I was fairly impressed with shingle tees the other day.

I love the idea that the IDGC incorporates @ their courses= Chicken wire placed on bridges. either way. Thanks for thinking of other people's safety

I can't imagine shingles holding up on a tee for very long. Definitely going to add some to the bridges at HH though.

I used "3M Slip Resistant Tread" tape
http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-2-in-x-15-ft-Safety-Walk-Step-and-Ladder-Tread-Tape-7635NA/100132176
for these steps
IM007620_zpszx1v8kue.jpg

It required sanding, cleaning and drying before application and I rounded the edges of the tape to reduce the chances that it could be peeled from the corners.

It's unlikely that this would work on older wood with a roughened surface.

Id be shocked if the 3m tape holds up. Its great for home use but thats about it specially outside. We used the exact stuff at a restaurant and was replaced weekly due to high traffic.

I've got several stacks of shingles in my garage, could definitely use these out on our local course. Also have some bridge maintenance to do after the hug rains we've had this year once things start to dry out.

Id be shocked if the 3m tape holds up. Its great for home use but thats about it specially outside. We used the exact stuff at a restaurant and was replaced weekly due to high traffic.

The tape has been on those steps for 28 months without budging so far.

You should use grease-cutter or muriatic acid to degrease a restaurant floor surface before applying the tape.

Latest posts