• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brockness ITB

Johnson Park DGC, League Round (+1)

Bag: Grip AX5

Drivers:
Star Katana
Pro Katana
Echo Star Wraith
Pro Wraith

Fairway:
K1 Stal
Champy Star Thunderbird
GStar Thunderbird
DX Thunderbird
Star Sidewinder
Pro Sidewinder

Mids:
Atomic Kotuku
Strata Kotuku
K1 Glow Svea
K3 Hard Svea
Star Toro

Putters:
K1 Reko X
K3 Hard Reko
K1 Berg
K3 Berg
K3 Hard Berg

Johnson Park is pretty rough so I'm really happy I stayed close to par. Still having issues on the front 9 for these league rounds, need to figure that out. Everything, disc wise, is working well and I haven't noticed any gaps. Now to just play and get better

Brewer Park DGC, League Round Reds(+0)

Bag: ZUCA Transit

Distance Drivers:
Star Tern
Champ Katana
Star Katana
Pro Katana

Fairway Drivers:
Champ Firebird
CGC Firebird
Star Thunderbird x2
K1 Lots
MOLF
Star Sidewinder
Pro Sidewinder

Mids:
Atomic Kotuku
Strata Kotuku
K1 Svea
K3 Svea
Champ Toro
CGC Toro

Putters:
K1 Reko X
K1 Reko
K3 Hard Reko
K1 Regrind Berg
K3 Hard Berg

Great round. Only third time on the course and only the second time playing Reds. Started with a Birdie, then proceeded to finish the front 9 at +3.

Old Farm DGC, League Round (+3)

Drivers:
Katana x2
Wraith x2

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird x3
Sidewinder x2

Mids:
Kotuku x2
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko X x1
Reko x1
Berg x3

Such a simple little course, but it showed it's teeth today. Most of those teeth are in the form of worn out baskets(a disc slipped through the cage) with old very smooth chains that don't like to grip in mild moisture. I also tried out a couple different throws that I have been working on to no great effect.

Fallasburg Park DGC, Fun Round (+1 million)

Distance Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway Drivers:
Firebird x2
Thunderbird/MOLF x4
Sidewinder x3

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x2

Putters:
Reko(X) x4
Berg x2

Fun Park. Great mix of wooded vs open and hard vs easy holes. I wasn't keeping score, but there was an uphill hole that I had to have taken a 9 on. Disc selection is solid if a little overkill. I will probably play this course with my backpack or shoulder bag from now on.

Johnson Park DGC, League Round (+4)

Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird/MOLF x3
Sidewinder x2

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x3

Putts were horrendous today. Started off missing left side, tried to correct, but over corrected. Approaches were on point. Got one birdie and one double bogey. Mental stayed strong, but I just couldn't rally. League championships start on this course, so I'm going to need to come out and practice some of the more difficult holes and of course do some work on the putting green.

Brewer Park DGC, League Round (+5)

Distance Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway Drivers:
Firebird x2
Thunderbird/MOLF x4
Sidewinder x3

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x2

Putters:
Reko(X) x4
Berg x2

Rough round in the wind. Started as a group of 3, but 2 players caught up to us and joined. One of them was Kyle Klein's father, so that was a highlight. Bag feels solid in the wind, but putting (even with Bergs)was a chore. The Pro Katanas are surprisingly stable in the wind. I now have my 15 league rounds in for a free pass to the League Championships high low doubles tournament. Should be fun, but I need to get some practice in on the courses to dial in my shots.

Flip City DGC, Fun Round

Distance Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway Drivers:
Firebird x2
Thunderbird/MOLF x4
Sidewinder x3

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x2

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x2

The #3 course on DGCR. It did not disappoint. Stunning tree lined fairways, grassy valleys and rocky gorges. Lot of elevation and challenging shots. It was a hot day, so we didn't play any of the extra holes, but I am definitely headed back to get those done. The course is only a little over an hour away, so I will be adding it to the list of weekend courses to play on the regular. A common gripe about the course is signage, but I like it. Reminds me of the courses I played when I was first starting to play disc golf in Oregon. Helps that I have a range finder and can casually check the distance myself... gives me an actual reason to use it. Still no gaps in the lineup, only issue right now is poor disc selection on my part, but I recognize it quickly and will do better in the future.

Garfield Park DGC, League Round (-1)

Distance Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway Drivers:
Firebird x2
Thunderbird/MOLF x4
Sidewinder x3

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x2

Putters:
Reko(X) x4
Berg x2

Round started off rough, and I'm still not sure how I pulled off one down. I like this course more and more because I get to use mids and putters off the tee. Only 4 holes that I use a speed 9 and 1 hole that I use a speed 13. I was on a card with a great group of guys, and we all did pretty well so maybe it was just the company that made it easier. Also, got word that we are closing on a house this week, so I'm pretty stoked about everything right now. Just waiting for some hammer to drop and bring me back to earth.

Johnson Park, League Round (+13)

Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird/MOLF x3
Sidewinder x2

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x3

Absolute meltdown round, not much else to say. Mental stayed strong, short term memory kicked in on every hole, but putts were really bad and I kept grip locking. time for a few beers, some salon pas patches and mindless television.

Old Farm DGC, League Round (+3)

Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird/MOLF x3
Sidewinder x2

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x3

A Better round for sure. Still on the bad side of average for me, but I'll take it. Had to take a couple days off to do some field work and figure out what is going on with my form. Still need more field work and some putting practice, but I am back on track. League championships are September 9th, so I need to go out and practice those courses also.

Garfield Park DGC, League Round (-5)

Distance Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway Drivers:
Firebird x2
Thunderbird/MOLF x4
Sidewinder x3

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x2

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x2

Hawt round. Almost makes up for that +13 at Johnson last week, but I am playing Johnson tomorrow so I will hopefully get a revenge round for that course as well. Drives felt smooth and only got better through the round. Putting started off stronger than it finished, but there were only 2 that I would have liked to have back. I need to beat one of my Katanas in a little faster for big turnover distance. Might need to find a brick wall somewhere to "practice" my form.

Brewer Park DGC, Practice Round

Distance Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway Drivers:
Firebird x2
Thunderbird/MOLF x4
Sidewinder x3

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x2

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x2

I didn't play Johnson on Tuesday because it was raining off and on, and I didn't feel like having another bad round there due to grip issues or wind or whatever.

For the practice round I focused mostly on trying a couple shots on some holes that I have been thinking about trying, but didn't want to during a league round. A couple worked well, the rest not so much. So I have my shot selection down for the tournament on this course. One more practice round here next week should do it, and now I have to practice Johnson Park and figure out my shot selection on a few of the holes there plus an extra practice round. The only bad thing about getting ready for a tournament is that I feel like I am stuck playing the tournament courses until after it is over. Oh well, plenty of time afterwards to start trying new courses out here.

Johnson Park DGC, Practice Round

Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird/MOLF x3
Sidewinder x2

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x3

Exploratory practice round. Trying new shots on a few, trying to dial in a couple others. Planning to play safe shots on this course so that my doubles partner can do his thing. Holes 11-14 are the make or break holes for me. Still not sure what to do on hole 12, I either hit an early tree or fly past the basket which is super steep downhill, and that's with a Berg. The normal play is to forehand and hit the mound low for a light skip up to the basket. I might be able to do a little flexy forehand with a Firebird or Kotuku, something I'll have to try on my next practice round here.

Brewer Park DGC, Practice round

Distance Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway Drivers:
Firebird x2
Thunderbird/MOLF x4
Sidewinder x3

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x2

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x2

Good confidence building round. Played worst of two drives off each tee, and only had to scramble a couple times. Shot selection for the course is solid. Now I just need to work on Johnson Park

Johnson Park DGC, Practice Round

Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird/MOLF x3
Sidewinder x2

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x3

Great practice round. Learned quite a bit about the course by trying off the wall shots and keeping an open mind. Hole 12 is still a question mark for me, but I have found a safer shot with a flexy FH Toro. Usually gets me to an easy pitch under the basket.

Tournament tomorrow, Feeling good.

Grand Rapids Disc Golfers United League Championship, Hi-Lo Doubles Tournament
Course 1, Brewer Park DGC (-9)

Distance Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway Drivers:
Firebird x2
Thunderbird/MOLF x4
Sidewinder x3

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x2

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x2

We started off 10 down through 10, and then had a bit of a meltdown. My partner was the better of us, so my main focus during the meltdown was keeping his mental game up because it was starting to crumble a little. Hot round was -15 so we started off 6 back from the pace.

Course 2, Johnson Park DGC (-8)

Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird/MOLF x3
Sidewinder x2

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x3

This was the harder of the 2 courses, and I think we did pretty well. Mental stayed strong, when he had a bad shot I was able to cover. Hot round for this course was 10 down, so we made up some ground on the field.

This was a really cool experience. There were 100 teams and last cash was 50th place. We came in tied for 35th, so this was my first time ever winning cash at a tournament. 24 down was solo first place. Looking forward to some glow leagues and the start of the longer winter leagues to keep me busy until next year.

Johnson Park, Casual Round (+10)

Bag: Fade Crunchbox

Drivers:
Katana x1
Wraith x3

Fairway:
Firebird x1
Die-Nasty x1
Lots x1
Sidewinder x1 (Lost)

Mids:
Kotuku x1
Svea x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x1
Berg x2 (Lost 1)

I must be a glutton for punishment. Decided to hit up Johnson to look for a pair of sunglasses I lost during the tournament. Ended up losing 2 discs and almost a third. Problem is, when we finally get possession of our new house, Johnson will be the closest DGC to me. The "top of the world" shot on hole 18 is almost worth playing this course, but I think I am going to stay away for a while.

Edit: as a side note, This bag covered most of what I needed for the course. A little tweaking and it should be good

Fallasburg Park DGC, Casual Round (+4)

Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird/MOLF x3
Sidewinder x1

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x3

This is going to be the location of the main Winter League that I plan on attending. Course is challenging, but fun. Already starting to park some of the holes, just need to find consistency and work on my putting some more.

Fallasburg Park DGC, Casual Round (+9)

Drivers:
Katana x3
Wraith x1

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird/MOLF x3
Sidewinder x1

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x3

Oof, the course bit back on this one. Still picked up a couple birdies, but I played some army golf on a couple of the holes. I am trying to get out of the habit of running the basket when I am playing a solo round... failed on this one. Loving the course more every time I play it though.

Hammond Hill DGC, Casual Round (+5)

Drivers:
Katana x3
Vass x1
Wraith x1

Fairway:
Stal x1
Thunderbird/MOLF x3
Sidewinder x1
Falk x1

Mids:
Kotuku x3
Svea x2
Toro x1

Putters:
Reko(X) x3
Berg x3

First time at this course. Starts wooded and stays wooded with a couple open-ish shot on the back 9. Most shots were handled by the 9 speeds with a couple driver and putter shots mixed in. Nothing in the midrange, but I threw one on hole 16 anyway. Fun course, I will definitely add it to the list of weekend courses.

Dropped by Great Lakes Disc on the way out to the course and picked up a Vass and Falk just for Sh!ts and Giggles. Falk is a slow turnover that never really fights back. Vass flies like a fresh Pro Katana for me. Not sure if either will make the bag because Sidewinders and Katanas are so much cheaper and easier to find.

Latest posts