• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brockness ITB

All day I dream about throwing discs.

Just spent the last 3 hours at work searching for white KC Pro Rocs. I can find one here or there, but I don't want to be nickel and dimed on shipping and I honestly don't yet know if it is the right disc for me. I think I will bide my time, use up the DX RocX3s I have and hope that Innova runs a new batch of white KC Pro Rocs to try. I just want something that is close to the stability of my MD4s that come in an easy-ish to cycle plastic. Doing some deep dives on the Roc thread it seems that KC Pro starts out more over-stable and lasts a bit longer than DX. It's not even a range that I throw a lot of shots for, so I'm not sure why I'm being so wishy washy. Either way the Glow Champ RocX3 is staying right where it is.

Why not Gila? If you want super stiff like most kc pro they usually are like that. Some slightly softer ones including glow are available right now. I know I won't go back to rocs.
Also if gila is beefier than you want (I see you are ok with roc3) maybe shurgrip prophecy is what you want.

Though gila imo is kc roc stable with roc3 speed.

I'll look into it. I try not to keep too many molds that I might have trouble finding in the future, but since I don't throw mids often I should be able to get by as long as it is a highly reliable flight.

I'll look into it. I try not to keep too many molds that I might have trouble finding in the future, but since I don't throw mids often I should be able to get by as long as it is a highly reliable flight.

I didn't want to SPAM this thread with bragging about my disc... But the Gila is what you want. It's a faster, more OS Roc-like disc that is superior to the Roc3.

Give it a Go. Our Black Friday sale is inexplicably still live lol.

They are also making a push to have more consistent availability, and the gila seems to have been the most commonly available disc (aside from maybe the stego). Should be as easy or easier than finding KC Pros lately

I have not really had an issue finding them myself. Just not as easy as swinging through Dicks sporting goods to pick up a replacement.

I didn't want to SPAM this thread with bragging about my disc... But the Gila is what you want. It's a faster, more OS Roc-like disc that is superior to the Roc3.

Give it a Go. Our Black Friday sale is inexplicably still live lol.

the flight looks really good in your video. I might pick up one of your Ice Amber Gilas, does the stability change much at the low 170s? Also, how does it compare to a Champ RocX3? Just to be clear I don't throw Roc3s, but I heard they go a little longer than the RocX3 so I have been using that as a frame of reference.

the flight looks really good in your video. I might pick up one of your Ice Amber Gilas, does the stability change much at the low 170s? Also, how does it compare to a Champ RocX3? Just to be clear I don't throw Roc3s, but I heard they go a little longer than the RocX3 so I have been using that as a frame of reference.

The low 170s retain all their HSS. The mold doesn't turn no matter how much power you give it.

If you lean into it, it'll hold the turn but it wants to flatten or fade before landing. Great flex disc.

For me the RocX3 was a turd. I really disliked that mold (I love KC Rocs FWIW) because it was glideless, not great at flexing bc it didn't glide enough to push the line and generally just wasn't what I wanted.

The Gila was designed to pair well with Rocs and it does just that. You can bag one Gila as a bookend... Or several as your main mid.

9 holes at Stadium DGC during Lunch

Bag: Fade Crunchbox

Drivers:
Pro Wraith

Fairway:
Star Firebird - *FB
MOLF
QOLF
I-Blend Sphinx - Beat
I-Blend Sphinx - Fresh
Star Teebird

Mids:
Glow Champion RocX3
DX RocX3
Amber Gila
Fossil Gila

Putters:
K3 Reko
K1 Berg
K3 Berg

I was mostly just testing the RocX3s against the Gilas. The DX RX3 has a crazy amount of glide and seems to kick into a second gear about halfway through the flight. The Amber Gila does a very similar thing, but has a smidge of right hand turn into a mild headwind. The Glow Champion RX3 has some glide, but likes to find the ground quick. The Fossil Gilas are the real stars though. They have a good amount of glide and some great drifting fade at the end. I still need to do some testing. A quick lunch hour round is not enough to make a final decision, but it gives me an idea of what to expect during future trials.

CSUMB Oaks

Drivers:
Pro Wraith
Star Wraith

Fairway:
Star Firebird - *FB
DX Firebird
MOLF
QOLF
I-Blend Sphinx - Beat
I-Blend Sphinx - Fresh
Star Teebird
Pro Teebird

Mids:

Amber Gila
Fossil Gila

Putters:
K3 Reko
K1 Berg
K3 Berg

More testing for the Gila. Threw them on holes that I would throw anything short of a 9 speed off the tee. My initial thoughts one these were accurate. Fossil is a beefy boy and I am stoked to see how they beat in. The ambers I got have a little bit of right hand drift, I think it is the lower weight, but not enough that I would call them flippy as it is pretty subtle. I like the amber quite a bit though for throwing on hyzer or anhyzer as it holds the line very well and pushes quite a bit on hyzer. Barring some self sabotage I am going to give these a year in the bag whilst keeping an eye out for a heavy amber or armor Gila to fill the always beefy slot. In the meantime a fresh fossil will fill that slot nicely.

Fantastic day on the coast. About 62 degrees and sunny with a mild wind. The round was pretty good considering how frustrating this course can be. Planning on sneaking out for some lunch hour rounds for the next three weeks as work is going to be a ghost town.

Stadium DGC

Drivers:
Pro Wraith
Star Wraith

Fairway:
Star Firebird - *FB
Star Thunderbird
MOLF
I-Blend Sphinx - Beat
I-Blend Sphinx - Fresh
Star Teebird
Pro Teebird

Mids:
Amber Gila
Fossil Gila

Putters:
K3 Reko
K1 Berg
K3 Berg

First time completing this course fully. With all the greenery I can see the footpaths easier and follow them to the 2 holes that I never found on my previous 3 trips here. The course is actually really nice when it is green as well. I did not purposely throw the Gilas outside of what I thought they could handle. Overall a good round, I generally don't keep score unless I know the course well or I plan on only playing the course once. I do try to keep track of birdies and bogeys though so I have an idea of what my score might have been. I had 5 birdie looks and converted 3 of them, along with one double bogey and I think 3 bogeys. So probably a +2 on the round. My Pro Teebird is starting to turnover, so it is time to plug in a freshy. I have been throwing the Sphinxs in this bag to prevent losing Sidewinders, but I think it is time to get those Sidewinders back in and save the Sphinxs for Dela Veaga......as a sacrifice......so she doesn't eat my good discs. I also want to try to find space for one of my Toros, so I might remove the Pro Teebird and not put a freshy in, and maybe only put one Sidewinder in when I remove the Sphinxs. I wasn't sure I really needed the Firebird, but it came in handy on 2 holes which is more than any other course I have played in a while. I'll try to play the course again tomorrow.

Stadium DGC

Drivers:
Pro Wraith
Star Wraith

Fairway:
Star Firebird - *FB
Star Thunderbird
MOLF
Pro Sidewinder
Star Teebird

Mids:
Amber Gila
Fossil Gila
CGC Toro

Putters:
K3 Reko
K1 Berg
K3 Berg

Fantastic round. All of the discs in my bag had a use, and this is definitely the setup for this course. The Pro Sidewinder is flippier than I remember so I might need to put a freshy in the bag. Almost aced hole 5 with the Amber Gila, almost aced hole 11 with the K1 Berg. Still hunting for my first ever ace.

Kelley Park DGC

Bag: ZUCA Transit

Distance Drivers:
Star Wraith x4
Pro Wraith

Fairway Drivers:
Champ Firebird
CGC Firebird
Star Thunderbird x2
GStar Thunderbird
SOLF
Star Sidewinder
DX Sidewinder
Champ Teebird
Star Teebird
Pro Teebird x2

Mids:
Fossil Gila x2
Amber Gila
Champ Toro
CGC Toro

Putters:
K1 Reko X
K1 Reko
K1 Regrind Berg
K3 Hard Berg

First round of the new year. Windy because of another storm coming in. Everything feels right and I haven't found any gaps. Probably drop a Fossil Gila to put my K3 Hard Reko back in, my first Fossil Gila hasn't lost any stability yet. Felt good to be out, and I don't think I have lost any distance the past couple weeks. Hopefully 2023 will be a strong year for me. I'll start looking into tournaments in February.

Ryan Ranch

Bag: ZUCA Transit

Distance Drivers:
Star Wraith x3
Pro Wraith

Fairway Drivers:
Champ Firebird
CGC Firebird
Star Thunderbird x2
GStar Thunderbird
MOLF
Champ Sidewinder
Star Sidewinder
DX Sidewinder *LOST*
Champ Teebird
Star Teebird
Pro Teebird x2

Mids:
Fossil Gila
Amber Gila
Champ Toro
CGC Toro

Putters:
K1 Reko X
K1 Reko
K3 Hard Reko
K1 Regrind Berg
K3 Hard Berg

Everytime I play this course I am reminded that I don't like it. This is only the 2nd time in the last year that I have played it, but I have probably played it around 20 times total and have never had a good round. I can't seem to keep DX Sidewinders around long enough to turn them into easy rollers. Other than that the bag is solid and I am comfortable with all of my molds.

Stadium DGC

Drivers:
Pro Wraith
Echo Star Wraith

Fairway:
Star Firebird - *FB
Champy Star Thunderbird
MOLF
Pro Sidewinder
Star Teebird

Mids:
Amber Gila
Fossil Gila
Star Toro

Putters:
K3 Reko
K1 Berg
K3 Berg

Tried to get a round in during lunch. First throw ended up in a tree and 30 minutes wasted getting it back. My drive on Hole 3 ended up in the middle of a mud pond. After retrieving it I decided that was enough for the day. I was able to get a drive in with a Champy Star Thunderbird and an Echo Star Wraith. Initial reaction with only one throw each, Thunderbird feels and flies like a GStar and the Wraith is a domey beefy boy like I thought it would be. Heading to San Francisco this weekend so I might get out to a new course and try these two out a little more.

Now that the gila looks to be working in the bag, what do you think? How are you using the amber and fossil differently? Fossil beating in enough to straighten out?

Now that the gila looks to be working in the bag, what do you think? How are you using the amber and fossil differently? Fossil beating in enough to straighten out?

Due to the rainstorms we have had lately, I haven't played too many rounds. The Amber has a ton of glide and holds a line really well. I tend to use it for straight shots. The fossil is a beefcake and fights the wind well. If I hit the fossil hard it flies straight and gets a nice lateral skip, otherwise it dumps out early and digs in. I need to do a couple one disc rounds with the fossil to beat it in. Once I get a cycle going, I should be in good shape.

During the last two weeks I have been out a couple times to put the Gila through it's paces a little more. I also added a Champ Roc3 and Star RocX3 to the mix because I hate myself. One thing to note is that the Fossil plastic is not near as durable as I had originally believed. It is probably on par with the waxier DX plastics, but with a whole lot more grip. That said, the Gila was the only one of the three that can stand up to the wind. Since I do not throw midrange discs very often I need to know that when I throw them, I can trust them. The Gila does that for me, so it will hold it's place in the bag.

Throwing in general lately has felt stiff. I need to start making it out to the courses more to practice throwing smooth. I might drop the Wraith and Thundy from the bag for a bit until everything feels good again. I think I might also drop the Teebird from the bag when the Thundy goes back in and rotate them in and out as needed for the course. I know that I can get the Teebird up to speed far easier than the Thundy so it all depends on how confident my throwing feels.

During the last two weeks I have been out a couple times to put the Gila through it's paces a little more. I also added a Champ Roc3 and Star RocX3 to the mix because I hate myself. One thing to note is that the Fossil plastic is not near as durable as I had originally believed. It is probably on par with the waxier DX plastics, but with a whole lot more grip. That said, the Gila was the only one of the three that can stand up to the wind. Since I do not throw midrange discs very often I need to know that when I throw them, I can trust them. The Gila does that for me, so it will hold it's place in the bag.

Throwing in general lately has felt stiff. I need to start making it out to the courses more to practice throwing smooth. I might drop the Wraith and Thundy from the bag for a bit until everything feels good again. I think I might also drop the Teebird from the bag when the Thundy goes back in and rotate them in and out as needed for the course. I know that I can get the Teebird up to speed far easier than the Thundy so it all depends on how confident my throwing feels.

I don't know if its the plastic showing wear but not changing or the inherent stability of the mold but my fossil gilas never get as flippy as rocs would, no matter how thrashed they would get, I always felt they were similar in durability to KC. My courses are not wooded, and generally park style so beating plastic in takes a while. I am curious to how far beat you end up going before you need to cycle a fresh one in, especially if you are still carrying the Amber. I know Jamie likes the recent amber run a lot, but if another run comes out flatter like the old armors or even the previous ambers they have flown more like a fresh fossil.

I get you on the Teebird/Thundy conundrum. I seem to go back and forth between 7 and 9/10 speeds. I bagged teebirds and PDs a long while and usually one or the other was flying well. The teebirds go nearly as far and are as predictable when they are on. I assume considering you have a MOLF in the bag that you have messed with Q and SOLF? Little trickier than thundies to get what you are looking for run to run, and I am not sure what the most recent runs have been like. I love the OLF, and would consider a SOLF in place of the teebird and thundy if you are thinking you just need one. They stand up to the wind as well as it sounds your champy/star one would.

I don't know if its the plastic showing wear but not changing or the inherent stability of the mold but my fossil gilas never get as flippy as rocs would, no matter how thrashed they would get, I always felt they were similar in durability to KC. My courses are not wooded, and generally park style so beating plastic in takes a while. I am curious to how far beat you end up going before you need to cycle a fresh one in, especially if you are still carrying the Amber. I know Jamie likes the recent amber run a lot, but if another run comes out flatter like the old armors or even the previous ambers they have flown more like a fresh fossil.

I get you on the Teebird/Thundy conundrum. I seem to go back and forth between 7 and 9/10 speeds. I bagged teebirds and PDs a long while and usually one or the other was flying well. The teebirds go nearly as far and are as predictable when they are on. I assume considering you have a MOLF in the bag that you have messed with Q and SOLF? Little trickier than thundies to get what you are looking for run to run, and I am not sure what the most recent runs have been like. I love the OLF, and would consider a SOLF in place of the teebird and thundy if you are thinking you just need one. They stand up to the wind as well as it sounds your champy/star one would.

I have skipped the fossil off of pavement a couple times and hit various trees during those recent trials, still no noticeable stability loss. Even got some chunks missing on the bead from the pavement. I have never had true KC Pro, but I have some Stiff P-Line Discmania that I have been told is the KC Pro blend. The only reason I think the Fossil is less durable is because the one I am trying to beat in has some dents in the rim from trees and chunks come loose(Probably fixable with a lighter) from pavement instead of gouges and scrapes. I do honestly think the durability is higher than DX, because alot of the DX I have had has chipped and dented worse than fossil.

I have tried a QOLF and SOLF. The QOLF I have is pretty US compared to my MOLFs and the opposite is true with the SOLF. I like the OLF for pushing hyzers and uphill lines as it tends to push further on slightly nose up shots compared to a Thundy. Though I have a Gstar Thunderbird that is starting to fly like an OLF. I do consider the Thundy and OLF to be the same mold because of handfeel so my minimalist tendencies are satisfied with that.

Vista Park Hill DGC

Drivers:
Star Wraith
Echo Star Wraith

Fairway:
Star Firebird - *FB
Champy Star Thunderbird
MOLF
Pro Sidewinder
Star Teebird

Mids:
Amber Gila
Fossil Gila
Star Toro

Putters:
K3 Reko
K1 Berg
K3 Berg

2 rounds of 9 holes. Tested the Echo Star on hole 4 both rounds to see how it flies, which is pretty beefy but with great distance. Hole 8 gave me a headache both rounds and has now become my nemesis hole for this course. Hole 9 was pushed back further and away from the hillside and is now easier for me to reach so we friendly now. All in all good rounds, starting to have to throw with a three finger power grip instead of four. I can only assume that my rainy day weightlifting sessions have affected my grip strength a bit.

Latest posts