• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

The dude has been playing Ultimate for over almost 15 years. He's a top tier athlete in the sport... There's no question we'll be seeing him on some lead cards once he dials in his game. He's already out-driving 99% of us.
His putting stroke is also looking really good.

Talk about some odd fan description...

Frisbee Rob throws 600'+. Rated peaked 982, although I don't think he really trained much golf wise.

I am very curious to see how this unfolds. I have posited that Disc Golf is a game that does not require as much raw athletic poweress as most sports.

We have very few players with raw athletic talent in our game, Kevin Jones and Ken Climo being exceptions to the statement. Those we see at the top of the game now, in other pro sports would only be mediocre physical poweress at best, mixed with skill and a sound mental game.

How far can he climb the ranks with his raw athletic ability in one season? How important is raw athleticism to Disc Golf(other than pure distance)?

I think this season will answer some questions I have been pondering.

Last edited:
I am very curious to see how this unfolds. I have posited that Disc Golf is a game that does not require as much raw athletic poweress as most sports.

We have very few players with raw athletic talent in our game, Kevin Jones and Ken Climo being exceptions to the statement. Those we see at the top of the game now, in other pro sports would only be mediocre physical poweress at best, mixed with skill and a sound mental game.

How far can he climb the ranks with his raw athletic ability in one season? How important is raw athleticism to Disc Golf(other than pure distance)?

I think this season will answer some questions I have been pondering.

#1 disc golf athlete is Steve Wisecup. For those who never heard of him he was the last to win the Worlds before Climo started his streak.

steve-wisecup-gsc-07-drive-2.jpg

#1 disc golf athlete is Steve Wisecup. For those who never heard of him he was the last to win the Worlds before Climo started his streak.

steve-wisecup-gsc-07-drive-2.jpg

That was before I was in the game and before all the old youtube videos I have found.

Jeez he is ripped! He looks like a gymnest with that build. Looks like he could do a muscle up to an Iron Cross on the rings.

Last edited:
That was before I was in the game and before all the old youtube videos I have found. Jeez he is ripped! He looks like a gymnest with that build.

His full time job before Innova hired him was as a physical trainer.
Super nice guy also.

Brodie on a lead card in 2020 at an A tier or above would surprise me. But if he stays dedicated beyond 2020 it would not surprise me to see him get over a 1000 rated quickly and maybe make some lead cards 2021 and beyond. We all know there is a ton of nuance to being an elite disc golfer both in ability and knowledge, but Brodie is not just a "raw athlete". He is a special talent with gifted hand eye coordination. He was able to get to a +2 handicap on actual professional level golf courses in a couple of years with no significant history in the sport. If you know golf, you know how rare that its. Couple that with his work ethic and his understanding of "training" vs "playing" and I'll think he'll surprise most haters.

It's very possible he is one of hundreds of guys who get to that 1000 - 1010 range but never cross over to "elite" however you define that. I have seen many super talented guys I thought would keep going plateau. It's that crazy consistency that eludes everyone but those in the top tier.

I'm rooting for him. The "bro" vibe that has garnered him 2 mil subscribers on YouTube does not bother me that much. I watched the Smashboxx interview and he seems like a solid guy to me. haters gonna hate tho ya heard.

He might never get to "elite" status as a disc golfer, but I would expect him to improve rapidly.

We tell everybody that to improve, you need to learn how to throw putters and understable discs. Well, this guy has been mastering slow, understable discs for 15 years. He knows how wind affects flights. He knows release angles. Ultimate and disc golf aren't the same, but the physics are consistent.

We tell everyone that if you want to improve, study people that are better you. Brody is currently practicing his distance drives, with Emerson Keith holding the rangefinder. Later this month he's gonna spend a week getting tutored by Simon Lizotte and Paul McBeth.

And most of all, anyone who wants to improve is going to need time and practice. By starting out with a sponsorship and no "day job", he's going to have more time and money to invest in disc golf than almost anyone. I don't know the terms of his Discraft deal is, but I'd wager that it's one of the biggest deals in the sport.

Brodie's growth as golfer is not going to follow a typical growth pattern because Brodie's situation is not at all typical.

This is great for the sport IMHO. He's going to bring a lot of eyes to disc golf that normally would never consider playing. Every sport in the history of sports has its stars that people either hate or love. That's what makes the sport entertaining to watch.

I'm looking forward to footage of his first courtesy violation lol

I hope he does have some competitive finishes in tournaments, because I'm sure there will be people who love and hate him. Should make for some entertaining golf if he can claw his way up there.

He might never get to "elite" status as a disc golfer, but I would expect him to improve rapidly.

We tell everybody that to improve, you need to learn how to throw putters and understable discs. Well, this guy has been mastering slow, understable discs for 15 years. He knows how wind affects flights. He knows release angles. Ultimate and disc golf aren't the same, but the physics are consistent.

We tell everyone that if you want to improve, study people that are better you. Brody is currently practicing his distance drives, with Emerson Keith holding the rangefinder. Later this month he's gonna spend a week getting tutored by Simon Lizotte and Paul McBeth.

And most of all, anyone who wants to improve is going to need time and practice. By starting out with a sponsorship and no "day job", he's going to have more time and money to invest in disc golf than almost anyone. I don't know the terms of his Discraft deal is, but I'd wager that it's one of the biggest deals in the sport.

Brodie's growth as golfer is not going to follow a typical growth pattern because Brodie's situation is not at all typical.

he pretty much has residual income coming from YouTube from both his main channel and golf channel at this point, he can do whatever he wants with no limitations. as for his Discraft deal I don't think its as big as you think, certainly no where near Paul or Paige. I don't think he's doing it for free obviously but he does still need to prove himself on the course.

he pretty much has residual income coming from YouTube from both his main channel and golf channel at this point, he can do whatever he wants with no limitations. as for his Discraft deal I don't think its as big as you think, certainly no where near Paul or Paige. I don't think he's doing it for free obviously but he does still need to prove himself on the course.

It might be more incentive based when compared to other players, the better he does the pay will scale a lot more. But they can at least expect good marketing from his social media. I think its a good risk to take at any rate.

Latest posts