• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

uh.....you can watch the event 24/7 as a subscriber.

Yes, I'm aware, but 4 hours of disc golf becomes less and less appealing the further you get from when it actually happened. After I started seeing things about the round it became less and less interesting. I expect to watch the cut for this one and then just watch final rounds the rest of the season.

Penny-wise and pound-foolish?

That was my immediate thought when they made that decision.

Maybe.

But he's already put out 20 videos in the last two months for free on YouTube that pull well over 100,000 views each. Is that not enough free exposure to his fans and subscribers? Would releasing a free, 4 hour video of live tournament coverage do something that he hasn't already done? Maybe he'd help set a new record for largest live broadcast ever. I guess that'd be cool and all, and he would rightly feel pretty proud, but would 20,000 free viewers going to move the needle more than 5,000 paid viewers? Would Bud Light see 20,000 viewers and all of the sudden decide to start sponsoring the tour?

When I first saw that it would be PPV only I thought this was penny wise and pound foolish for some of the reasons stated above. Releasing a cut later seems like a fair attempt at a best of both worlds. Also, not announcing that plan at first will have tipped a few on the fence into subscribing. Some of those may now cancel subscriptions but others may remain. There may never have been a concrete plan on this but overall it checks out as good management to me.

Looks like Brodie and some other pros pulled out of The Open(still a decent field though) this weekend and it looks like Jax Open is canceled...

Last edited:
No, because once the stream ended I had to wait until the next day before it was converted to video. If that turnaround time continues I might not stay subscribed either.

They were slow for the first round. I was able to watch the second round later that night. Hopefully that trend continues.

I prefer skipping through the live stream vs. post-produced content. I prefer hearing authentic reactions from Jamie/Nate.

I don't understand...

...why these top dg pros are all bending over and offering up their brown eye pre-lubricated for this fairly bland, uninteresting brodie guy who has a mediocre youtube channel with an admittedly impressive couple mill following it... am I missing something? It's not even remotely interesting to watch him throw a disc, and it's amazing how much grovelling the mcbeths and pierces and memorials are offering this individual... no?

Somebody had some fun with his Wikipedia page :D

Brodie Smith (born August 29, 1987) is a former American Ultimate Disc League player and YouTube personality, best known for his frisbee trick shot videos.

Bogey rose to prominence as a premier ultimate player

...why these top dg pros are all bending over and offering up their brown eye pre-lubricated for this fairly bland, uninteresting brodie guy who has a mediocre youtube channel with an admittedly impressive couple mill following it... am I missing something? It's not even remotely interesting to watch him throw a disc, and it's amazing how much grovelling the mcbeths and pierces and memorials are offering this individual... no?

Someone apparently doesn't get freaky, or sick, you know bro?

Its like I said early in this thread...

A rising tide lifts all boats. ;)

It's not that hard to understand when you think about it in terms of the "influencer" side of today's pop culture and social media. The guy has a lot of followers(Probably more than all the DG content creators combined) and followers bring attention. Discraft wants a piece of that action and can you blame them? Even if only 1% of his YT subs start playing DG and buying DC discs... that's a crapload of plastic sold. The DGPT does also and is hoping it will help grow viewership.

Most of the pros I've met are really nice people and maybe they just like him and/or think helping him will help grow their brands.

I'm loving his journey. There's a bit of a daydreaming element to it for me, I think. Here's what happens when somebody (with some relevant skills and athletic talent) gets built into a disc golfing machine by the top pros. It's a very interesting experiment, and it's also compelling because he's actually on that crazy fast track.

I can relate to his mistakes, his realizations, his superstitions, his nerves, and to all of the elements of his progress (except being able to throw really far). I like when he discovers something that I'm also discovering. I like to root for him.

I like that my favorite players are welcoming him into the sport and wishing for him to succeed. I'm going to buy their discs and watch their videos to show them that. I'm going to watch Drew Gibson's content because he's so gracious to Brodie, for instance. If I wasn't already a McBeth mark, I would become one for the same reason.

Bottom line, it's compelling, I'm "with him on the journey," and the pros who see that and embrace it are going to get my respect and my buck. Maybe that's not you, but that's okay.

am I missing something?

the digital economy
a compelling narrative

or maybe a simpler explanation in the case of McBeth: sponsorship

i wasn't surprised to see a dozen videos with Paul following his signing with Discraft. Paul seems like a nice guy but i'm sure his participation was required.

Paul seems like a nice guy but i'm sure his participation was required.

McBeth would be an idiot to not want to do the videos. He's been hustling and building his personal brand for ages and suddenly has an opportunity to present it to potentially 2 million pairs of new eyeballs. Why would he pass that up?

Not to say that was the only motivation.

I'd be willing to bet Discraft is $trongly encouraging them all to play nice with Brodie in return for the exposure Brodie gives the Discraft brand via his social media channels.

"for this fairly bland, uninteresting brodie guy" I'm guessing the number of disc golf players that could shoot 980 rated rounds in their first pro tournament at 30+ years of age after only a few months taking the game serious, at one of the tougher courses on the tour, is very, very small. That makes the guy fairly interesting in my book.

What's with all the Brodie hate? He's been in the Ultimate game forever and was a legend at it. Seems like a bunch of disc golfers would respect that if they also want people to respect their budding sport too.

Also the content has been great. Not bland.

i respect his achievements in ultimate. tho his following in youtube is overexaggerated 10 fold. noone of his discgolf videos has over 200k viewers. ultimate players are drawn to discgolf by them self and i think there is another audience that doesnt even know discgolf exist. we need exposure to those people.

Latest posts