• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Build your own lake rake

A friend lost his favorite Roc not far from the edge of the water and I saw where it hit. So I decided to make a Lake Rake from some of my extra PVC.

DiscRake1.jpg

I got his ROC (the blue disc) in just a few minutes. Then I decided to go to other areas and try it out and after about 20 minutes I pulled up 2 other discs. The rake will work better in the fall or winter. The lilly pads are a bit of a problem.

DiscRake2.jpg

funny how many people said they'd post pics and didn't... i'd love to see as many designs as possible before making one myself

i built a hybrid of the two design on the first page so its like a triangle dredger and man does this thing work! its not unrealistic to say that you could pull out 25 discs in an hour easy with one of these, if the pond has that many in it of course... theyre deffintly worth making and having. ill post pics of mine later, i made mine be able to break apart so it fits into a backpack or reusable grocery bag type thing

sorry for taking a year but heres pics

2012-04-21_19-36-58_660.jpg

2012-04-21_19-37-08_879.jpg

2012-04-21_19-37-29_866.jpg

2012-04-21_19-37-15_843.jpg

longest side is 32" shorter on is 22" and the shortest is 4". i had to do the 90° along with the 135° or whatever it is in order to get the triangle kinda shape i wanted because ther arent 45° fittings that i could find in that size pipe.

i use the eyes in the corners mostly to tie it all together in case it came apart in the water so i didnt lose anything but it turned out to make a nice handle to throw it

the spikes are long screws with their heads chopped off, they grab the discz. they stick out about 2 or 3 inches from both sides so they will catch discs regardless of how it lands in the water cause it flips sometimes

i filled the longest side full of cement so its heavy and sinks into the dirt on the bottom a little to grab discs better

i use a 30ft rope and toss it out then pull it back in. on the end thats not tied to the rake i have it tied to a bungee cord that i can just bungee around a tree ir whatever

hope this helps!!

sorry for spelling errors. ****ing phones are hard to write alot from

the holes are also to help it sink because it'll fill with water. and its in pieces so i can take it apart and make it easier to carry and store

funny how many people said they'd post pics and didn't... i'd love to see as many designs as possible before making one myself

I am not going to just offer up my design to anyone. Not being rude, but it has demonstrated worth. I pulled almost a thousand discs out of one hole with it over a month throwing it for a few hours each day.

I just built one for Alaska. It has about 85 pieces of pvc, 20 10 inch rods, and a lot of ingenuity. If you want one, I can build you one or sell you the plans. Just the materials alone, not including rope, are well over 100 dollars. This isn't your average garage rake. If they are there it will get them. I have pulled in 8 in one pull before.

It doesn't work well in dense vegetation, rocks, or logs and roots. It is designed for sand/mud.

I am not going to just offer up my design to anyone. Not being rude, but it has demonstrated worth. I pulled almost a thousand discs out of one hole with it over a month throwing it for a few hours each day.

I just built one for Alaska. It has about 85 pieces of pvc, 20 10 inch rods, and a lot of ingenuity. If you want one, I can build you one or sell you the plans. Just the materials alone, not including rope, are well over 100 dollars. This isn't your average garage rake. If they are there it will get them. I have pulled in 8 in one pull before.

It doesn't work well in dense vegetation, rocks, or logs and roots. It is designed for sand/mud.

thats insanity. your rake must be huge to pull out 8. ive got 4 at once and thought that was pretty good! im gonna have to make a wider one now lol

There are some tricks that keep rakes strong and stable.

First clue is to build it in a large teardrop or diamond shape. Then, you want to run the rope through the rake. The strength of pvc is not enough. If you are pulling on something that the rope runs through it distributes the force and can withstand a lot.

Fish, I have a map of some buried treasure for sale if interested

I was going to post a photo of what I use, but for somereason its not loading off my card.
Anyway I took my golf ball retiever and ducktaped a garden rake to the end of it. Its extendable and easily portable. It worked great to get my Predator out of a pond.

how do these rakes work in ponds that are overgrown with weeds? my pond doesn't have lili pads, just some nasty seaweed like stuff. I think it would pass right through, but I've been wrong before.

how do these rakes work in ponds that are overgrown with weeds? my pond doesn't have lili pads, just some nasty seaweed like stuff. I think it would pass right through, but I've been wrong before.

hydrilla...that stuff is nasty and you will pull it up like crazy. It keeps the rake from getting on the bottom of the lake. You can still find some but won't find a ton unless the lake is just chocked full. Now, if you are patient you can keep going over the same spot and get it all off the bottom until you get to the discs.

Free bump so I can reference back to it later. Looks like I'm doing some work tomorrow!

I built one 2 years ago and it has only cracked once and that was over a year ago and I use it frequently.

I realize this thread is a little old. Anyone mind doing a write-up on the smaller golden retriever like disc retrievers ? There is one pond I have lost 2 hard to find discs in and would love to get them back.

When i lived in Arizona i made a "golden retriever" out of old coat hangers and fishing weights. Use a fishing pole and reel with 30 or 40 pound fireline and you can get out 100 feet or more. It worked great at fountain hills, and Vista Del Camino. If it gets snagged and you can't free it you just break it off and put another one on. It is very hard on the reel so don't use a good one or find one used somewhere.

I made a rake similar to the first post. I did work, even with the insane amount of vegetation in the pond. I only managed to retrieve 7 or so before I was tired, something like 300 lbs of weeds was annoying. I'll keep trying, but so far it's paid for its self.

Latest posts