• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Building a Girlfriend Bag

my girlfriend is insulted by 150 class garbage and 'easy to throw' and 'ladyline' discs.

there is NO reason for 'girl' discs period.

Only if it becomes the opposite of why you started playing in the first place. My wife and I play to have fun, first and foremost. She knows I take it much more seriously, but she's always a great reminder of the reason I started playing to begin with. Fun.

We play to get hot and sweaty as a close secondary reason. :p

To the OP, lots of great suggestions here, but my wife really started to get interested when her discs started to fly further with more control. This was when she went from the Diamond to throwing a Fuse and a Warship as her primary discs. I recently gave her a Lady Line FD to play with and she has really been throwing it well, no doubt due to the form corrections she made throwing the lower speed stuff. YMMV (as always when it comes to women).

I just don't have any interest in getting her into something she's not crazy about just to hang out. I would rather spend time doing something we both enjoy. Golf is for time with other dudes :gross:

But I've been with my wife a lot longer than most people here have been paying. It's probably something that has lost the novelty over time.

I still make her play when we are on vacation though :hfive:

I keep reading the thread title as "Building a Girlfriend" and I feel bad for the lonely OP.

my girlfriend is insulted by 150 class garbage and 'easy to throw' and 'ladyline' discs.

there is NO reason for 'girl' discs period.

There is an example of a girl who is into lady discs in this thread. That's at least one reason for marketing to women.

Do people really think 150 class is garbage?

Avery Jenkins does because he only throws max weight.

When I go play disc golf, I go to play the game, not to hang out and walk to dog, not to whine my feet hurt just to leave and sure as heck not to just walk along side me. I would say 75% of the time I see women at the course in my area it is NOT playing, they are just walking along side and texting their friends. Most likely because they assume the guy involved with them is cheating. There are courses for the average gal to go to, many with all holes under 250 ft. There are some really talented female players out there and some in my area.

I remember bringing someone to blue ribbon pines on a date in 2009, it's a very tough wooded course. Surprise she hated it. Then I brought someone else to a easy course, it bored the heck out of me. Another date went to a course only to watch me play. I am pretty sure I am meant to be alone or to just not bring women disc golfing with me. One day I will find a woman who understands me, a woman who is actually at my level and as good as I am at life. She better not gain a lb either when we date because she will be gone ASAP, I don't deserve that bs.

Also check out the axiom inspire and crave. They come in 150 class and some pretty sweet color combos. I'm currently throwing a 155 proton crave (clear core/hot pink rim) for my short forehands.

When I go play disc golf, I go to play the game, not to hang out and walk to dog, not to whine my feet hurt just to leave and sure as heck not to just walk along side me.

This. ^^^ (at the risk of piling on). My church friends and I go on an all guy snow ski trip each year. We go to ski and eat. We don't shop, we don't see the sights and we sure as heck don't get our nails done:gross:. Where we go, the crowds are thin so we average five or more runs per hour all day long with only a lunch break.

When I go to disc, I go to disc.

Thomasorion - are you saying her first time discing is at Kaposia, or she's gone before but this is her first time at Kaposia? Tough first course if it's the former...

You other guys are funny...:)
My fiancé goes once in awhile. Usually, when she does, my sister and brother-in-law are with us, and it's a ton of fun. Last Saturday we played Bryant and then stopped for beers and Jucy Lucy burgers on the way home. Made for a pretty good day.
Most of my rounds are solo or with the guys, but it's a different kind of fun when the girls come along. I get my Man-Time at bowling.
That didn't sound right...

So, what are your experiences, suggestions, etc. on these?

My g/f learned a lot from the Diamond. After a year & a half she understands the hyzer flip w/ an understable one, has a stable one, and throws the Jade for open distance & windy shots. ...And a Panther as a mid, but I would say that's personal preference. Definitely recommend the Diamond in this situation.

the jade, diamond and pearl are great discs (get the heaviest you can find 155-159ish)
but i would recommend a regular putter (start her with what ever you use)

This...

But you could skip the Jade for now until she turns the Diamond a bit more than she wants.

Diamond, 150g ish
Pearl, 155g ish
Maybe add a more stable mid.
Skip the Ruby and try a Pure...

And that is starting to look like my wifes bag. She just shot her best round today on the local course.

Avery Jenkins does because he only throws max weight.

When I go play disc golf, I go to play the game, not to hang out and walk to dog, not to whine my feet hurt just to leave and sure as heck not to just walk along side me. I would say 75% of the time I see women at the course in my area it is NOT playing, they are just walking along side and texting their friends. Most likely because they assume the guy involved with them is cheating. There are courses for the average gal to go to, many with all holes under 250 ft. There are some really talented female players out there and some in my area.

I remember bringing someone to blue ribbon pines on a date in 2009, it's a very tough wooded course. Surprise she hated it. Then I brought someone else to a easy course, it bored the heck out of me. Another date went to a course only to watch me play. I am pretty sure I am meant to be alone or to just not bring women disc golfing with me. One day I will find a woman who understands me, a woman who is actually at my level and as good as I am at life. She better not gain a lb either when we date because she will be gone ASAP, I don't deserve that bs.

Bitter much?

I say let the girlfriend try whatever disc feels best because its not like it matters at first. The important thing is she is willing to go to the course and try it out with you!

There is an example of a girl who is into lady discs in this thread. That's at least one reason for marketing to women.

Do people really think 150 class is garbage?

I believe I read that the diamond is one of the top selling discs for latitude. Women have significantly lower arm speed than men. It takes a lot better form from a chic to reach 300' than a guy. That's just how it is. To ignore that fact is a big mistake.

I think it's great that they are marketing to the ladies. My learning curve may have been quicker if I had started with a diamond instead of a max weight teebird.

I can throw a decent distance, but it's probably never going to be as far as my husband. So it would be silly to throw the same discs.

Wow! Thanks for all your feedback, especially the ladies! I even enjoyed the trolls.

To answer a few posts here, we play together because she enjoys the outdoors and learning new things. We've been together for 3.5 years, so she's not going to be replaced anytime soon. We're quite happy and never expect to go pro, we both have solid careers. Disc golf is a great way to exercise, spend time together, talk about our days, and just have fun outside. We have tons of other interests, but this is one for this forum. We're one of those crazy couples that after 3.5 years, we still just enjoy being around each other, PBS is doing a documentary on us....

After all the great feedback, we're going tomorrow to get the Diamond (super popular here!), the Pearl (she loves pearls, so she'd get it for the name alone), and we might stick with the Aviar (unless she bonds with a different one in the store, although right now she's putting better than me under 50'!!!).

Keep the advice coming and much thanks to everyone!

I took my girl to play her first tourney this past weekend at Sun Valley Disc Golf Course in San Diego. She has played casually a few times a month and recently she has taken a big interest in the sport! I was asked multiple times if she was my caddie lol. She ended up being the only women player that day so she took first and I did as well for intermediate class! We had tons of fun and everyone was patient and glad to see her out on the course with the 45 other guys. She ended up winning a badass Potion Purple Voodoo Zulu bag in the raffle so needless to say it was a blast. Lately she has been begging to go play every chance we get bored. I really enjoy having her around and watching her progress (like any of my friends). I get plenty of time to huck by myself.

Putting with Vibram Sole

Girlfriend bag:

XXX
Crave
Magic
Saint
Clutch
Beaver
Wildcat
Glide
Wahoo!

Just don't buy her a diamond. Otherwise, previous contents of bag are replaced with;

Villian
Boss
Breaker
Pig
Stalker
Crank
Demon
Rampage

If it gets worse from there, get yourself a Bolt.

I took my girl to play her first tourney this past weekend at Sun Valley Disc Golf Course in San Diego. She has played casually a few times a month and recently she has taken a big interest in the sport! I was asked multiple times if she was my caddie lol. She ended up being the only women player that day so she took first and I did as well for intermediate class! We had tons of fun and everyone was patient and glad to see her out on the course with the 45 other guys. She ended up winning a badass Potion Purple Voodoo Zulu bag in the raffle so needless to say it was a blast. Lately she has been begging to go play every chance we get bored. I really enjoy having her around and watching her progress (like any of my friends). I get plenty of time to huck by myself.

Putting with Vibram Sole

I absolutely love this story. So much fun to find something you can both love and do for fun!

Latest posts