• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building a Glow Bag

DriveCrusher2

Bogey Member
OK, so I know I haven't been on this site very much and I have been out of disc golf for about year until these last few months. Something occurred to me, why not build a glow bag. The reason I quit playing was because during the summer I was working evenings and that's when most of my friends played so, no comradery no playing. Then I figured hey I could just play after work in the dark during the summer when it's warm. So here is my build plans:

Innova Starter Bag
X Gateway Wizard
- Gateway Wizard
- Innova DX Roc
- Innova Champ Roc
X Innove Champ Gazelle
- Innova Champ Teebird
X Innova Champ Destroyer
X Innova Champ Boss
- Innova Champ Katana
- Innova Champ Firebird

Ok the X's indicate what I already have, I know it's a lot of Innova but I like their glow plastic better. Anyway that concludes that build, what do you guys think?

I would consider using LED lights on your current discs instead of all glow plastic. First off, LED lights are cheaper than new plastic. Second, glow wears off and can be a PITA to find. But more importantly, it doesn't make sense (for me) to throw a different disc when playing glow than normal rounds. The repetition of throwing the same disc creates consistency and I'd hate for my glow round reps to not improve my normal round results.

I would consider using LED lights on your current discs instead of all glow plastic. First off, LED lights are cheaper than new plastic. Second, glow wears off and can be a PITA to find. But more importantly, it doesn't make sense (for me) to throw a different disc when playing glow than normal rounds. The repetition of throwing the same disc creates consistency and I'd hate for my glow round reps to not improve my normal round results.

This was mostly my thinking when I made my nite golf bag. I quickly found out to reduce the weights with LED's if you want apples to apples. Played a glow tournament and did fairly well, except for the fact I missed 9 putts by 1-2". Weighed my putter and it was 180g!:doh: Had I used a lighter putter like I do now, I'd have won that tournament.:wall:

LED's or glow tape....either work very well. Glow discs work best in total dark. Lots of ambient light and they are just so-so.

So I would take the time to switch LED lights and tape them on my discs and remove them for regular rounds? I have had the destroyer and wizard for over 2 years now and those things still glow great, as for the switching of the discs, for a normal player they throw very similar discs, for example I throw a lot of bosses and destroyers for my forehand and back hand into the wind, for tailwind usually a katana or wraith (I don't forehand these), the firebird is for short technical forehands which is what I usually use for that and the teebird and gazelle are regular uses in my bag as well, I putt with Wizards so to me all wizards are the same. As for the Rocs they are my go to mid range, so technically I'm not throwing different discs...

Also I have a black light flashlight which charges the disc and it will make it glow when searching for it for arrant throws. They are cheap online to get as well.

Last edited:
My glow bag very closely resembles my regular bag.
I often use some of my glow discs as my regular discs In the winter.
They are also my back-ups.

I generally keep it simple for glow rounds. From that list, I might just stick with the Teebird, Roc, and Wizard. I suppose you could throw in a Destroyer if you're playing a longer course, but simply a fairway driver, midrange, and putter would be fine for a full round of glow...

I use several glow discs as my main discs, as well. I have Champ Tbirds, Champ Firebirds, and Z Buzzzes (all glow) that are staples in my normal bag. Don't need much more than that for a glow round so I just bring the same bag no matter what. I suppose if I needed a longer distance driver for a glow round, I would stock up on a couple LEDs beforehand. I know using glow discs in the day can wear the "glow" down over time. Also, I keep a mini uv flashlight in my bag too which charges them up nicely.

Last edited:
Thanks to tournament player packs, winnings and a crazy addiction to round, plastic objects I found I had enough back ups to make a dedicated Glow bag for the Winter months and even late Summer rounds. I didn't want to bother with taping and removing tape everytime I played a day and night round so just built the dedicated Glow bag.

Using a Fade Crunch myself, but I do recommend the flat LED's for the discs for a few reasons. They last longer, they can be applied to any Champion, Z, Opto, etc... plastic and work awesome. Much easier to see than glow plastic that does fade over time and can be hard to see in a lot of moonlight. Not to mention the winters up North reduces the length of glow charge, hard to keep them charged in the cold.

LED's work great, work on Glow plastic too for double protection. If you use Glow plastic than a UV LED Flashlight is a must own (UltraFire). The Glow Duct tape works surprisingly well, nice for Star, Elite X, etc... solid plastics. Nice to toss the Glow bag in the trunk with my regular bag and be prepared for both day and night rounds with little to no effort.

I disagree with this:
1 - Glow disc vs. LED vs. Glow tape all have their advantages and disadvantages. Sure, if slow / low light your glow disc / tape can lose charge. But....glow discs don't fall off / break on hard tree hits, etc. +/- to each, but I don't think one is inherently better.

2 - I actually like the fact that I am using different discs for glow nights. Now maybe if it was a glow tourney I'd feel different, but having a different (and more limited) setup for my glow bag has forced me to rethink some shots, lines, and disc choices that has actually benefited my game in the long run. Sure - there have been a few times where I sat there thinking man - I wish I had my flippy SW (or beefy FB, etc.) here....but having to throw different shots with different discs can be a good thing. It also shouldn't interfere with your "normal" daylight rounds. I actually got to the point where I took 2 discs out of my glow bag (glow buzz and glow sw) which also are in my main bag JUST because I wanted to ensure I was using different discs.

To the OP - just beware - those glow champ innova discs are likely going to be (much) more OS than their normal counterpart.

To the OP - just beware - those glow champ innova discs are likely going to be (much) more OS than their normal counterpart.

This has also been my experience. Not even close to the same flight sometimes.

I do agree, I have noticed some of them tend to fly differently being glow, except for my glow roc, Very, VERY domey and likes to turn over. The Gazelle flies alright, The Boss is broken in pretty well and the Destroyer is in good condition, surprisingly the Destroyer works better for my forehand than my Boss does so I've used the Boss for Backhanding, the Firebird and Roc 3 come in today! So I will be trying them out soon!