• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Building Distance

I finally got a chance to go back out after my day last week of practicing the Power Grip (arm muscles were too sore to play until this rain-filled weekend).

The Good: I still had "the feel" of how to do the throw. 3 hours that day of practice must have helped with the muscle memory. My aim/control still needs work, but it wasn't too bad. I could feel that "snap" off the index finger and got some nice drives. I didn't overpower anything as I didn't want to wear out my arm like last time.

The Bad: On the back nine — where the more open holes are in my local course — I ran into some guys starting the back nine. It was late and they suggested playing together to beat the dark. These guys turned out the be living incarnations of Silent Bob & Jay from the Kevin Smith movies! Although they both talked all the time... One dude kept losing his discs, and frustratingly the other guy had some monster drives, although they were all over the place and he couldn't putt for crap. He did show me the new performance air filter he installed on his Corolla though!

Anyways, the whole flow of the game was ruined while these guys looked for discs, talked my ear off and drank beers. Nice enough guys, but I was not there to socialize/party. I did get a few good drives in with the Power Grip, and really I just wanted to get back out and test the Power Grip in an actual round instead of in an open field.

Overall I was pretty happy with the results and can't wait to get back out for a solo round to put the new throw to a real test round.

That is hilarious bro! I have totally been ther before. Although I don't think I got the air filter tour. Some guys have all the fun! :D

The funny thing about the "Jay and Silent Bob" duos that you run into on the course is, you never really know which is Silent Bob! ;)

That is hilarious bro! I have totally been ther before. Although I don't think I got the air filter tour. Some guys have all the fun! :D

The funny thing about the "Jay and Silent Bob" duos that you run into on the course is, you never really know which is Silent Bob! ;)
I think we've all been there before. It's always when you're trying to work on something, too.

the "Jay and Silent Bob" duos that you run into on the course

Hah, I should have figured those guys had troops stationed on every course! ;) Funny thing, I never really ran into any of the hard-core party types before. Usually it's 25% just high school kids goofing around, 25% newcomers/super-casual players and 50% serious/semi-serious players. I finally got initiated I guess. We need a name for the disc golf party duos - Donovan you are the resident comedic genius, I expect something by Friday ;)

Back to the topic, I played some hooky today to try and get solo course time and really put the Power Grip to the test. Oddly the course was very busy — my home disc golf course has gone from almost no one playing to 5–10 players/groups on the course at one time over just the past 3–5 years.

Anyways, got out and threw some Power Grip throws. While the control isn't there 100% yet, I was getting some serious distance, and even risked it on a few of the more technical holes — to varying degrees of success.

I did find myself "over-thinking" the grip/throw at times; too much tweaking of the hand/finger positioning instead of sticking with the technique as I learned it.

I also found myself unconsciously letting go of the disc instead of forcing it to rip out of the hand. This resulted in straighter/more accurate throws, but with very little distance increase over my old Fan Grip drives.

I've kind of hijacked this thread with my own diary of learning the Power Grip, but to sum it up at this point for anyone out there trying to build distance as I was, and frustrated with the lack of progress: try these new grips if you haven't. They will feel weird and you will have some terrible games for a while. In fact, I feel to some degree like i am starting all over. But sticking with it you will emerge closer to the drive distances you are looking for.

When I first started out (many years ago) I was just using some crappy Wham-O disc golf discs I got at Target or wherever. A seasoned DG player friend told me to get new discs, and I was skeptical back then. He gave me his unwanted Comet, which changed everything for me at that time. It also refueled my interest in the game.

I started experimenting with discs, staying with Discraft and building from the Comet outward. My game improved quite a bit, but for the past few years (and some years of relative inactivity on the course) I felt like I was at a plateau I couldn't rise above.

After seeing some guys significantly out-throw me — most of them new to the game — this summer out on the course, I knew my technique needed to be changed since I had tried enough varieties of discs to know that there was another component that was missing. The Power Grip, even in the short time I have been using it, has proven itself to be the missing ingredient. And I was skeptical about it for a long time. It didn't feel right, and it wasn't something I would have ever tried on my own naturally. I put off practicing it for reasons I had created in my head until I came to the realization that I had no choice but to give it a chance.

I am by far any sort of master with the throw, but have had enough positive feedback from using it that I know it is at least a major component in improving my drive distance.

Hope some of this information helps out people who are in the same boat as I was.

One thing to remember is that for most people if they threw a disc 375 one time with a tail wind that becomes their average drive. Don't get frustrated about not breaking 300' when it seems like everyone posting on forums is. My league has an elite division, Pro in other words. One of the long bombers from that division was practicing drives in the field waiting for all the groups to get in. Everyone watching was calling out his drives as being 450' -500', some were even saying 550'. I was skeptical and went back the next day with a laser range finder and his drives were more like 375'-425'. I have recently increased my average from about 260' to around 280' I get some over 300' but not many. You can also try different lines I find that my best distance comes off a lighter disc that I can flip to Annie and have it hold the whole way, accuracy sucks but if its a wide open shot some times it don't matter.

Interestingly enough, I was convinced I was reaching a consistant 300 ft drive. My home course is pretty hilly and gets some interesting wind channels and I was loving my almost 350 ft drive that went into the wind and dropped into a small valley. Then I went to the high school football field and tried my shots. On the flat with hardly any wind, I was lucky to get 80 yards. Go figure, a nice reality check.

80 yards is nothing to shake a stick at either though. Losing 60 feet must sting though.

I think my biggest impetus to increase drive distance was seeing guys on the course, new to the sport, effortlessly getting 250–300 ft. drives. I knew I needed to change something.

As others have advised on the boards, my game has taken a dip. Even my approaches & putts oddly enough. But over time I know this will improve.

Just the fact that I can feel muscles ache that hadn't ached before tells me I am doing something that will take time to become accustomed to, and to integrate it with the rest of my game.

Interestingly enough, I was convinced I was reaching a consistant 300 ft drive. My home course is pretty hilly and gets some interesting wind channels and I was loving my almost 350 ft drive that went into the wind and dropped into a small valley. Then I went to the high school football field and tried my shots. On the flat with hardly any wind, I was lucky to get 80 yards. Go figure, a nice reality check.

I started practicing my drives a few years back. At first I'd go to an open Soccer field, pace the steps off and use the lines for a guide. Even with measuring my shoe I never quite new either way about my driving distances. I finally broke down and bought a measuring wheel at Home Depot about a year and a half ago. Now I measure out cones at 25' intervals, it's nice to know the exact distance you're throwing.

Just the fact that I can feel muscles ache that hadn't ached before tells me I am doing something that will take time to become accustomed to, and to integrate it with the rest of my game.

Yeah, playing through the pain will prove huge. I used to get sore after two rounds and I felt like my arm was gonna fall off for three weeks, but I kept playing and now am able to play six straight rounds without so much as a cramp, not to mention putting it out there 450' on a good drive.

I used to get sore after two rounds and I felt like my arm was gonna fall off for three weeks, but I kept playing...

I am finally getting to the point where I am not super sore after just one round, which is cool. And my control is improving as well. It's really like a whole new game for me now, which is really great.

I am also staring to think that part of the aches are from trying to overpower the drive throws, which I am working on toning down. Not only do I lose control over the release, but it could be hurting my back!

When I hit a wall with my distance I started playing rounds only using my putter. I played for nearly a month at least 9 holes a day throwing only a putter and it increased my distance immensely.

I have used this theory too and it helped me focus on my form more and not worry about the distance so much. Next time I picked up a driver I easily added 70 ft to my drive.

The putter-only technique is interesting, will have to give that a try too.

Mark Ellis, indeed the Lizard King

I am just spoiled with the air up here I guess. I can't imagine what I would be like in another state with more air... I have been playing for about three years, but it is just until recently that I took an interest in improving my game. I started by watching some great videos on youtube from discraft. Mark Ellis is a great teacher and discraft has some great videos that explain everything to improve your game. I have noticed how much more accurate and farther my drives have gone since I have watched these videos. Prctice all the time and before you know it your game will be much better.

Several good ideas in this thread. My best advice is get out of Texas! I'm throwing ~300' regularly here with really good drives getting up near 400'. But I just got back from Denver where my first drive (Badlands #1, big downhill) was a 540' monster! :D The thin air was awesome for driving, I was getting birds on 366' and 416' holes (at Westminster).

But seriously: wrist snap. Don't think about trying to throw hard, think about trying to throw right.

ERic

ive been goin out in the field and just strictly practice drives. If your not partial to a certain brand i would suggest a little lighter valkrie star plastic 168-170 turns over a bit to the right get that pretty "s" ive been launching mine 425-475. And Orc in champ plastic is money, and my go to is a heavy monarch (175) hammer that thing out there naturally fades to the right a bit and comes back to finish up that S!!

ive been goin out in the field and just strictly practice drives. If your not partial to a certain brand i would suggest a little lighter valkrie star plastic 168-170 turns over a bit to the right get that pretty "s" ive been launching mine 425-475. And Orc in champ plastic is money, and my go to is a heavy monarch (175) hammer that thing out there naturally fades to the right a bit and comes back to finish up that S!!

I've got a 175g Star Valkyrie and a somewhat lighter Champion Orc. They both turn over a little, but my Orc is slightly more stable and fades much harder at the end of its flight. This tends to give me a little less raw straight-line distance with it, so if you're going for pure distance, you may find you get more out of a Valkyrie, even though it's got a slower speed rating. A lot will depend, of course, on your particular throw, the particular disc, and the way it breaks in. I must say I'd second Sir Chingalot's recommendations.

I focus on being relaxed. Being in a relaxed state is key to a good drive. You shouldn't be gripping your disc to tightly. It should be loose in your hand as you begin your x-step.

It sounds like every one knows more than me about improving distance so I have no intelligent advice to add to that part. The only suggestion I have for practicing is try to find an open football field. This way you don't have to worry about marking your distance. That's what I do when I practice. On another note I also throw RHBH so thank you to everyone who posted advice.

I used to do a full X-step and I never got much distance. I now have cut my run up in half, and I have started to release lower and my distances have started to improve, as well as my aim.