• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

CA-CO-OK-NC-PA-OH-IL-MI-WI... LOTS OF INPUT NEEDED!

uofc2003

So I'm taking a ginormous road trip with my wife and kid that will include some discing between national parks. Sometimes they'll join me on the course but often I'll be solo, especially for the monster courses. Our route starts in NorCal, heads to Charlotte, then north to the Poconos (PA) and back home through Chicago and Yellowstone. We'll be camping as much as possible along the way.

Questions: Often I'm looking for playing partners since it's often tough to navigate a course the first time alone. I'm also looking for course suggestions along the way. And comments too, b/c it's too big of a task to search reviews of all the courses along the way, etc.

Southern Utah -Base Camp Adventure Lodge - I'm not driving the rental minivan out on that road, right? Water taxi? Is it doable as a day trip from Moab? Anyone want to join me? Approx 6/28

Colorado (from 4 corners to Denver through Great Sand Dunes NP)
Phantom Falls/Beaver Ranch double -- Would like to meet up at one or the other and get a ride between courses. Looks like a big day to play both but looks totally doable! Approx 7/3

Oklahoma -Pawhuska- It happens to be on our way, close to a cool park, and looks like great hucking! Approx 7/6.
From Pawhuska, we're heading to Buffalo River National Park, AR by way of Heavener, OK. Suggestions here for sweet camping or discing?

Memphis -Bud Hill? -- how far out of one's way is it worth it to play this course? Must get BBQ in Memphis.

Muscle Shoals area -- perhaps a couple of days here with family. 7/10

Flyboy (7/11?) to IDGC -- I still have to email kelly, but ideally, one night in the hanger and then off to the disc golf HoF!

Augusta to Savannah to Charlotte -- no plans to throw on this leg yet. Suggestions?

Charlotte Area --I'll be staying with my sister and with worlds it'll be a challenge to play the best courses. But since I played the worlds courses ahead of the 2011 worlds, I feel like I owe it to myself to play the best of Charlotte worlds. Which 3 courses would be can't miss for worlds?

Blue Ridge Parkway, VA to Shenandoah, NP (7/20) -- no plans to huck here. Suggestions to camp/b&b/huck?

D.C. to the Poconos, PA -- Tyler State Park is so right along the way and it's in the top 10. Approx 7/23.

West from the Poconos to Rock 'n Roll HoF and Bowling Green, OH. -- not sure what to do here. Northern PA camping/scenic drives vs. I-80 flythrough. We have a place to stay in BG, but this leg is wiiide open. Suggestions for camping or discing or sightseeing?

Chicago! -- no time for anything here other than Italian Beef!

Big Choice here -- backtrack to MI and head up through Flip City to the UP or continue north to Milwaukee and into WI? Thoughts??? Flip 8/1?

The plan is to hit Highbridge and Blue Ribbon Pines on the way to the Dakotas and Yellowstone, up to Glacier NP then directly home.

Half of the top 10 in one road trip? Not too shabby. Your input is valued, thanks for taking the time to read an already too long post.

Blue ridge parkway to the poconos. Lots of good stops. Blockhouse, Paw Paw, Seneca, Patapsco......list goes on and on.

From Shenendoah NP head into Charlotsville to play at Walnut Creek. It's a great course with two layouts.

On your way to Yellowstone you have to check out diamond x in billings.

From Tyler to the Poconos, you'll pass right through the Lehigh Valley and be near Nockamixon, Tinicum, Jordan Creek, Little Lehigh Parkway, and the three courses at Blue Mountain. Lots of good playing options there.

The day trip from Moab to the adventure course is easily doable. I made it there in a subaru last year, but I heard the road washed out a little. Rent a jeep in Moab for a day and treat yourself. Bring food/water there's nothing there.

Do the Michigan detour - Flip City, The Ludington courses and take the Badger(Car Ferry) across to Manatawoc. Or continue up the coast (some of the best beaches in the country)and take in the TC couses - Carly's Playground, Hickory Hills, and others. Then hit the UP and across to Highbridge

When you are heading up to the Blue Ridge from Charlotte try to stop in Boone and play Sugaree and whatever other courses you can in that area. Maybe Ashe County park. You can play Sugaree and Ashe County in the same great day.

Walnut Creek in Charlottesville is very, very nice. I also like Sontag in Rocky Mount, VA if you can hit it on the way somehow.

The Maryland courses recommended above, Tyler in PA and Iron Hill in Deleware are all solid. Nockamixon will be on your way too.

And while driving on 80 to Ohio, you should stop and play Moraine State Park, about 25 minutes from 80.

I'll second Moraine it's very near I-80 and I-79 in PA.

between Ohio and Chicago, Lemon Lake in Cedar Lake, Indiana about 15 minutes south of I-80/90/I-65, you have 4 courses to choose from.

Definitely hit Flip, you won't be sorry you did!

Yo J...I'm very jealous of your fun roadie!

Thx for all input so far...

Walnut Creek near Charlottesville and Monticello looks fabulous! Thanks for that one.

I'm trying to avoid 80 as much as possible, but I'm not sure what's in upstate PA that would draw me up there. So, Morraine is a possiblity. OMG! That course looks like a monster! Looks like not much camping nearby and i'd be walking that beast alone while my wife explores ... portersville? Moraine's going to be a tough sell.

Diamond X is out b/c we'll be going from Teddy Roosevelt NP down through the Black Hills into Yellowstone through Cody. I'll make up for this Montana deficit by playing the Kooky Noosa course.

I like the Lehigh Valley options, but I'll be hard pressed to get more than one course in between D.C. and the Poconos. If I can only play one, it has to be Tyler, right?

I'm going to push for Flip, through Hickory Hills to the UP. That looks like a great area!

@cmchavis & discNDav -- those look like great Indiana choices not far from80. If you had to choose 1, which one?

@sloppydisc -- My nephew goes to App St., so a road trip to Boone is probable. Sugaree looks sweet! (pardon the pun)

@peterb -- i'll be taking pics and notes along the way to bolster our course design credentials. And I may return as my Commission chair.

If you can't reach Mando let me know, and I can help you set up Sugaree. Playing that course with him is an experience. Still my favorite course. And he now has 27 holes. It's a monster, and a hike through some gorgeous woods. He would probably let you and your wife camp up on the mountain top if your wife is cool with rustic camping.

J, in the lehigh valley, I'd recommend Nockamixon for an ass kicking.

Diamond X is out b/c we'll be going from Teddy Roosevelt NP down through the Black Hills into Yellowstone through Cody. I'll make up for this Montana deficit by playing the Kooky Noosa course.

Really like that route - from the Black Hills through Gillette across to Cody into Yellowstone. That route through Bighorn takes a long time but is really scenic.

@cmchavis & discNDav -- those look like great Indiana choices not far from80. If you had to choose 1, which one?

Lemon has 4 courses but if you are just passing though - Rogers in Valparaiso is closer to 80 and I like it better. Both are pay to $ but both are large parks with other things for the family to do if they are not joining you.

When you are heading up to the Blue Ridge from Charlotte try to stop in Boone and play Sugaree and whatever other courses you can in that area. Maybe Ashe County park. You can play Sugaree and Ashe County in the same great day.

Yeah, both of these if at all possible. Both are great, and it'll be 20 degrees cooler than Charlotte.

Between Atlanta and Charlotte is, of course, Augusta and a wealth of choices. But, depending on the day and timing, you might visit Stoney Hill. You can camp on the course for free.

Yeah, both of these if at all possible. Both are great, and it'll be 20 degrees cooler than Charlotte.

Between Atlanta and Charlotte is, of course, Augusta and a wealth of choices. But, depending on the day and timing, you might visit Stoney Hill. You can camp on the course for free.

Oops. I re-read original post and it's "Augusta to Savannah to Charlotte." You've already got IDGC there.

Stoney Hill's kind of between Augusta and Charlotte, in a backroads sort of way.

Augusta to Savannah to Charlotte is a much longer route. Savannah, and Charleston, are great towns to visit. Savannah's 2 courses are pretty good, Charleston's Trophy Lakes better.

You need to check out Southeast Park in Columbia if the baskets are installed. You also need to stop at Earlewood. If the baskets are not installed at Southeast Park then you could stop at All-Terrain.

Latest posts