• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Caddies

hangwind

Eagle Member
I think it would be cool to caddie for a pro.

Top ten type or one of your friends, if they are that good.

I think it would be just as cool as playing. I don't need to win, I just want to be part of it if not do it myself.

I'll play, I'm happy where I'm at, I'm getting better but I think it would be cool to caddie.

My friend, we drive in the 997 and the turbo kicks in, gone and it's cool, doesn't matter who is driving, you are both there enjoying it.

I think being right there in a tournament, in and playing the game, you are centric to a high level of play, support role, hell yeah I think it would be cool.

Please, someone who has caddied tell me what it is like. I am probably wrong and the caddie sees the worst sh!t and it's not fun and blah blah blah Tiring, boring, no fun, no pay sucks.

What ever, I think it would be cool.

Gonna caddy for a local pro I play with at the Minnesota Majestic this year if I can get the time off. I'm really looking forward to it and I think it's going to be super fun.

I followed a group during the 2011 Players Cup. The only guy in the group that used a caddie was Avery Jenkins. His caddy was a local guy. Looked like fun to me. I would've volunteered to caddie for a pro but couldn't devote the whole weekend. It was fun just watching those guys throw. Avery actually thanked me after the round for following their group. Nice guy.

I was gonna do it for a buddy of mine who plays open but I had to work or something. I feel like it would be a good learning experience to watch those guys play and just see how they do things what shots they throw that sort of thing.

There are conditions at a course that a local, doing caddie duties, could help. You have seen it where on a certain throw, in the wind or what ever where the disc rises (or falls) consistently in a way you think it wouldn't. Or knowing how much it drops off after a basket. A pro will know these things but easy affirmation of this in chat may help a stroke off of a round.

It would be a fun learning experience but I think a good caddie, not screwing around would be able to help the pro only by speaking objectively about local conditions.

Just a thought.

Ehh, seems like you may be romanticizing it a little bit. This isn't like ball golf where professional caddy is a full time job and a lot of caddies know more about the game then the players do. I think most pros (at least the ones utilizing a caddy who isn't just a buddy helping out, in that case I can see what you are suggesting) have likely practiced the course and paid due diligence to that sort of stuff already. What need do they have for advice on how to play from a rec/intermediate level player who they likely have not previously met and hold far more experience and knowledge than. Not to mention the ego factor within that too. That is just my view though, maybe I am completely wrong. I'm sure there are at least a few people on this site who have caddied for Feldberg or the like that can chime in.

Spectating the touring pros at the PFDO this year, it seemed like those that had caddies had them just to carry the bag. Again, maybe I am completely off base though.

Last edited:
my brother caddies for me in tournys. he caddied for me when i lead my team to the indiana high school state disc golf championship and ill tell ya...it really helps!

You think?

Absolutely romantisizing it. I have no idea, never been to a tournament. You can call me a weekend warrior, rec player, I could care less, Frisbee golf, fun.

By design, I like to surround myself with the best people I can, by being in on a tournament, you would see a whole lot of talent close up.

No worries, no attitude, your post is actually the way it probably is for some. A great pro has already been to a course many times and needs no caddie. In that you are absolutely right.

iPhone answer while drinking at a bar...

All good.

You think?

Absolutely romantisizing it. I have no idea, never been to a tournament. You can call me a weekend warrior, rec player, I could care less, Frisbee golf, fun.

By design, I like to surround myself with the best people I can, by being in on a tournament, you would see a whole lot of talent close up.

No worries, no attitude, your post is actually the way it probably is for some. A great pro has already been to a course many times and needs no caddie. In that you are absolutely right.

iPhone answer while drinking at a bar...

All good.

I am somewhat of a cynic by nature, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Caddying for one of the touring pros seems like it would at least be fun in the sense that you get to watch up close and can really be a student of their game, probably ask questions or for advice before/after, and usually get some free swag out of it. I just think this sport is a long way away from caddy's really playing a pivotal role for pros in regards to course management/strategy.

Also just wanted to be clear that I was in no way trying to make an assumption on or call out your skill level. I am the last person who would have room to do that. Poorly worded post on my part.

Tyler, for me it's a learning thing. Not to downplay the sport and the professionals that play it but whoa, it really doesn't seem like a good percentage of people that play disc golf full time for a living are going to retire in a home that they bought from the winnings.

So your post wasn't out of line, I just said what I said about noob/rec/pro what ever...

I think carrying the bag in a support role would be a way inside the tape or circle or what ever. Into the conversation, on the inside.

On a learning aspect, nothing more. A local from a course could very well help.

I'm an old hang glider pilot. I used to drive the chase vehicle cross country to pick up the pilot. I knew how to chase a pilot specked out in the air if the radio went out, I knew GPS, knew what the pilot was looking for when getting near touching down. I knew because I was a pilot too. I learned from world class pilots by assisting them on their own flights. It's how I became a higher caliber pilot myself when I wasn't "doin it" but could learn while assisting others.

I remember a adventure where my pilot was stuck at like 90 or so miles, he wanted his first one hundred mile flight and was coming down and almost landing. There was this big glade that was dished, huge and it had a road across it. I was pretty sure that there was a big puddle of warm air in that huge dish. I decided to drive across it as fast as I could which was like 60 or so. I radioed the pilot my intentions, he could see me from about a thousand feet up. It was in Northern Arizona, the dirt roads are very dusty and my trail of dust traced the column of air that the truck wooshing through the pooled air kicked off. My pilot caught the thermal that I had kicked off, circled up in it and got another 15 or so miles before it frittered out and he sunk out and landed.

Someone that is paying attention can help, big time. I don't need to be a professional to know the dynamics of the game, the logistics, to help or assist someone to do their best.

Fair post, all good.

I caddied or a local pro and good friend of mine in a tournament earlier in the fall. It was a great experience getting to watch the top car play that day. Also, he was 7 strokes out of the lead and came back to win with 7 straight birdies, in sprinkling rain. The only thing I didn't like about being a caddy for h was 1 of the guys was so "professional"(sarcasm) that he was complaining about how he should have a caddy too. He blew up and shot way over par that round too.

If you ever get the chance, I think you should caddy. As one of the earlier comments said, you may know a little punch through gap, or how the wind affects a certain shot where a local guy may not.

If you ever get the chance, I think you should caddy. As one of the earlier comments said, you may know a little punch through gap, or how the wind affects a certain shot where a local guy may not.

Yup, that was my comment.

I think it would be cool, I enjoy being a part of things in a support role that I want to get better at. It's just one path, an honorable one.

Thanks for your comment.

Latest posts