• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Caddy's

Do you use a Caddy for Disc Golf?

• Yes

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • No, but I could I wanted to

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I don't have the option

Votes: 41 58.6%

• Total voters
I don't think having your kid caddy for you is strange. Jesus Christ, it's time spent with him. And it would be nice to be bagless with options on occasion... but having said that, for everyday play it's a little silly. Now my tricked-out segue on the other hand...

i think having your kid caddy could root them in disc physics/etiquette and make them an epic player down the road. plus a discer with a caddy should use and rely on the caddy, which i think would add to the caddys sense of self-worth.

and it is quality time spent together.

and eipc quote, saint!:clap:

For those of you who get annoyed when other players have a caddie, why?

I mentioned before that I bring my parents to tournaments when they can come and usually my dad will caddie for me and it has gotten him interested in playing a tournament this year. Also, my parents will go spot for the group on holes that require that sort of thing. My mom also likes to pick up trash which, you know who you are, has been left there by DGers in the first place. I think if we all had caddies the tournaments would go a lot quicker.

For those of you who get annoyed when other players have a caddie, why?

I mentioned before that I bring my parents to tournaments when they can come and usually my dad will caddie for me and it has gotten him interested in playing a tournament this year. Also, my parents will go spot for the group on holes that require that sort of thing. My mom also likes to pick up trash which, you know who you are, has been left there by DGers in the first place. I think if we all had caddies the tournaments would go a lot quicker.

Absolutely. My gf usually plays in tournaments, but if she doesn't feel like playing she'll come along and caddy for me and spot on blind holes. She still enjoys being out and meeting other players, and I love having her along. Her dad also caddied for me in one tournament as a way to see what tournaments are like and see if it was something he would want to do as well as getting to know the etiquette of playing in a tourney.

I was watching 2005 Worlds (Allentown) and my girlfriend was laughing that players had caddies. If I was playing a serious tourney (super tour, worlds, etc) I would want a caddie.

I wouldn't mind if someone in my group used a caddy, but I would think it's a little weird.

Having more bonding time with parents, kids, girlfriend :thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::

Our country would be a better place if people spent more time with their kids

I play pro and my best friend plays AM. We've caddied for each other in tourneys that are one day AM & one day Pro. Loriella Challenge was the last one we did that with. It was very cool to be on the course without the pressure of competition. Just carry some bags and watch some DG. :popcorn: You better be paying attention when your the caddy. We stepped off the tee chatting as a group and I didn't notice my buddy started walking right while we walked left (running my mouth). It was a little embarrassing having to run his bag over to him some 75 feet. I didn't make that mistake the rest of the round. :eek: Being the caddy is fun if you do it correctly and don't get in the way. I use to do it all the time for my friend who often made the finals. I do it every chance I get.:cool:

When he caddied for me the next day. I had a good deal of confidence and comfort from being on the course for two rounds the previous day. I might have been caddying but I was also thinking bout my own game. I also noticed that late in the day I didn't make the goofy mistakes the rest of my foursome did due to fatigue. I felt pretty good at the end of the day not having to haul a bag around for 36 holes.

Caddies Are MacDaddies!! :thmbup:

I have no reason for my opinion other than ball golf has caddies. I say NO CADDIES!!. Too damn elitist for me. Carry your own stuff. Part of the game. If you need someone to carry your things then you are bringing too damn much. Kinda like those people on the plane that bring a bag they have no chance of lifting up into the overhead compartment. If you can't play a round of disc golf without help then you suck, and should get a gym membership until you are strong enough to walk a few hours on your own.

Then again I have never played a tourney and kinda suck so who knows, maybe I'm wrong?

I have no reason for my opinion other than ball golf has caddies. I say NO CADDIES!!. Too damn elitist for me. Carry your own stuff. Part of the game. If you need someone to carry your things then you are bringing too damn much. Kinda like those people on the plane that bring a bag they have no chance of lifting up into the overhead compartment. If you can't play a round of disc golf without help then you suck, and should get a gym membership until you are strong enough to walk a few hours on your own.

Then again I have never played a tourney and kinda suck so who knows, maybe I'm wrong?

What if the caddy isn't there because you can't carry your bag, but because it's someone who wants to spend time with you or wants to see what a tournament is like? I've had a caddy at three tournaments, but I frequently play 8+ rounds a day for multiple days in a row carrying my own stuff the whole way, and I still enjoyed having a caddy...

What if the caddy isn't there because you can't carry your bag, but because it's someone who wants to spend time with you or wants to see what a tournament is like? I've had a caddy at three tournaments, but I frequently play 8+ rounds a day for multiple days in a row carrying my own stuff the whole way, and I still enjoyed having a caddy...

That's all good. I just think you should have to carry your own bag when competing. It's not a real physical sport so carrying a bag full of discs shouldn't be that tough. It you want a 'guest' to hand you a water bottle and give advice on shots I think that's OK. But like I said, I know my opinion doesn't carry much weight so take it for what it is worth. When I get crowned Universal Ruler of All things then my thoughts will matter outside my house. But then caddies will have outfits like Hooters and they will all be Victoria Secret Models!

I played in a tournament where this guys 14 year old son was his caddy. I thought it was a little weird, but I didn't say anything.

My son's next B-Day is his 14th. :p He is always next to me but as my playing partner, not a caddy. I don't think caddys and disc golf go together. Maybe if someone volunteered to caddy for a Pro as a learning experience. But I don't picture myself paying or even asking someone to carry my bag.

I played in a tournament where this guys 14 year old son was his caddy. I thought it was a little weird, but I didn't say anything.

Not so very weird; I've known several guys who've had their teenage sons caddy for them. Girlfriends, boyfriends, etc. are pretty common also. At last year's Atlanta Open, Eric McCabe caddied for Liz Lopez since his hand/wrist was injured and he couldn't play. A number of local players caddied for the big-name touring players, since the amateur and pro divisions played different weekends.

I'm actually going the other way around this summer -- caddying for my 13-year-old son at Junior Worlds in Ohio. Obviously I have to make the trip anyway, and playing 6 rounds in 4 days on several different courses will be a lot to deal with, so I figure carrying his bag will help him avoid getting quite so fatigued, and I might be able to help him avoid hurting himself too much when he gets frustrated and upset.

stop being so lazy. if you're bag is so heavy that carrying it tires you out, get rid of some ****.

if you really need that much advice to play competitively, go down a division.

Keep in mind I'm a noob... But I think there is a difference between a Caddy and someone to drag your bag for you.

My wife has walked the course with me quite a few times and has tried to carry my bag. Its usually not very successful. I dont have a very large bag so its not that big of a deal. And I use my bag to mark my spot.

Me "Can you please hand me my Wraith?"
Her "Sure, which one is that?"
Me "The yellow one, that says Wraith."
Her, handing me my Roadrunner "Here you go"
Me, throwing different disc then I wanted. "Thanks"

Now an actual Caddy would be awesome. They could tell me exactly why I chucked the disk straight into the tree, and give me other advice, and advising me if I should throw short rather then throw it in to the swamp. However that said I would have to say it will be a while until I compete and it would probably be easier to find someone to mentor me. Also having someone to talk to would be great, because sometimes when people compete they don't want to talk to the "enemy".

I love being a caddy and absolutely hate it when someone tries to caddy for me. I have caddied for my wife and friends numerous times and I have found that carrying the bag is a secondary thing. For the most part everyone can carry their own bag but a caddy gives them someone to loosen up around or commiserate with. My wife gets pretty nervous during tournaments and most of what I do when caddying is just talk about things other than disc golf to get her to laugh and calm down. With my friends it is pretty much the same thing with a little more shot advice. Walking a pretty disc golf course while not worrying about the competetive side is a beautiful thing. Plus everyone in the group appreciates a spotter!

Everyone who posted things about people using caddies being lazy, or needing to work out, are just plain ridiculous. The bag is not even remotely the main reason for a caddy (other than maybe touring pros).

I have brought a caddie and been a caddie for different tournies.

stop being so lazy. if you're bag is so heavy that carrying it tires you out, get rid of some ****.

if you really need that much advice to play competitively, go down a division.

Its nice to have a second perspective and someone to bounce ranges off of, things of that nature. You do also become less fatigued.

I dont know if going down a division is ever the way to become a better golfer, especially to do so because you need advice?

When I caddied, I marked lies, cleared baskets, shot advice, refilled water bottles, towel dry discs, etc.

Im not a great golfer, but Im a 1000 rated caddy

I've never played a competitive event before. But in a month I'm playing in my first, the NYS Senior Games. And its ok to have a caddy, so my gf is gonna do it for me.