• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calculating Fun by Rating for Courses

I don't have an issue if a couple holes play very hard. I would love to see an example where most holes are having everyone shooting 7 and 8's. Could you post a tournament you are referring to?

Tournament play in itself is not suppose to be fun. Tournament play is suppose to be a test of skill. The fun in tournaments comes before, after and in between rounds. I play Throw Down the Mountain every year. The course is fun as hell and practice rounds are great fun. However, once it becomes tourney time, the rounds are not 'fun'. They are hard and challenging. They can still be enjoyable, but 'fun' is not a word that even one competitor would use in describing their round at this place, no matter how much fun the practice rounds may be. Maybe tourneys are not the place for those looking for the rounds to be 'fun'.

This is incorrect. I competed in Throw Down the Mountain the past 4 years (2018, 19, 20 & 21), and 'fun' is definitely a word I would use to describe my rounds.

I don't have an issue if a couple holes play very hard. I would love to see an example where most holes are having everyone shooting 7 and 8's. Could you post a tournament you are referring to?

Tournament play in itself is not suppose to be fun. Tournament play is suppose to be a test of skill. The fun in tournaments comes before, after and in between rounds. I play Throw Down the Mountain every year. The course is fun as hell and practice rounds are great fun. However, once it becomes tourney time, the rounds are not 'fun'. They are hard and challenging. They can still be enjoyable, but 'fun' is not a word that even one competitor would use in describing their round at this place, no matter how much fun the practice rounds may be. Maybe tourneys are not the place for those looking for the rounds to be 'fun'.

This is a steaming pile of hogwash. I have played many games and sports, some at reasonably high levels of competition. I have found each to be riveting, allowing me pure and unbridled joy, at the opportunity to compete.

The moment I stopped having fun, I have walked away from the sport/game. Usually, it was because of some uptight, "uber competitors" who sucked the fun out of the event for many.

To Ru's point:

Serious competition and fun are NOT mutually exclusive. If you feel they are, I suspect you're way too uptight about a great many things.

That doesn't mean people don't put in hard work and practice, but...

If you look at top athletes in most any sport, they enjoy the game, the comradery, and they're having fun out there. And for most, when it stops being fun, it's time to leave the game.

BGC once again showing how much of a moron he is. Go back to Bolf. Oh wait, you're too poor

Land smack dab in the middle of the 8th largest city in the country is hard to come by. Morley was established 30 years ago. It wouldn't get built now.

In my area Loriella Park is certainly the most played and is not the shortest.

In Richmond either Bryan Park or Gillies Creek is the most popular and neither is the shortest. They are the most accessible to more of the population.

Burke Lake in NOVA is almost certainly the most popular in that area and again is not the shortest (although it is short).

In Central Ohio, Blendon Woods, a pitch and putt is by far the most popular course. Was P2P from 84 to 2011. Longest hole is just under 280'. There are regulars, who we call "Blondonites", that don't even bother playing other courses. Still true today, this was true back when it was the only pay course in town. It's also fun to play. For its size, there is a decent variety of shots. In fact, it's so busy that there have been times when looking for a quick round on an overcast day (can be played in 30-45 minutes), I went there and left due to too many people waiting to tee off.

Different strokes and stuff.

If popularity is an important indicator of "fun", then shorter is better since more players can reach more holes for birdies and ace runs. Bowlers have an opportunity to get a strike in every frame. Disc golf at least can theoretically have 18 holes that are birdie/aceable and yet have a wide range of lengths, shapes, obstacles and elevation changes making it much more interesting than bowling and yet provide the ability to "score" on every hole (includes 3s on par 4s).

I agree. The highest rated course on Udisc in the state of Texas is the Flying Armadillo par 2 putt-putt course. It's not because it's a particularly beautiful course. It fails to meet most of the design requirements that courses rated well on this site typically possess. The one word that seems to describe a round on this course though, is "fun". I looked back at the last 50 reviews on Udisc and the word "fun" is used in 34 of those 50 reviews, with quite a few "this is the most fun I ever had playing disc golf" comments. One reason is that every hole on this course can be aced and what's one of the most fun things to do in disc golf? Making an ace!

Oh wait, you're too poor

People may be trolls or fail to use that knob on top of their shoulders, or both, but let's not cast aspersions on the poor. Plenty of jerks with money out there.

This is a steaming pile of hogwash. I have played many games and sports, some at reasonably high levels of competition. I have found each to be riveting, allowing me pure and unbridled joy, at the opportunity to compete.

The moment I stopped having fun, I have walked away from the sport/game. Usually, it was because of some uptight, "uber competitors" who sucked the fun out of the event for many.

Enjoyment is different than Fun. I enjoy all my tournaments rounds but they are not "Fun". To me "fun" means not caring, no stress, laughing, playfulness which doesn't really belong in tournament rounds.

Enjoyment is different than Fun. I enjoy all my tournaments rounds but they are not "Fun". To me "fun" means not caring, no stress, laughing, playfulness which doesn't really belong in tournament rounds.

Your stick is firmly planted in the mud, and that's cool. You, do you.

But realize, you do NOT speak for everyone.

Calculating fun by rating should start at courses rated at 3.5 and include courses between 3 and 4, and ranked by % favorited. That's where the fun is !

Calculating fun by rating should start at courses rated at 3.5 and include courses between 3 and 4, and ranked by % favorited. That's where the fun is !

Yeah, courses rated 4.0 or higher... they're no fun.
:|

Yeah, courses rated 4.0 or higher... they're no fun.
:|
I think that most courses over 4 have an element of difficulty that detracts from the fun for the masses. The folks who see Challenging as Fun are a small % of the disc golf population.

Last edited:
I think that most courses over 4 have an element of difficulty that detracts from the fun for the masses. The folks who see Challenging as Fun are a small % of the disc golf population.

i don't believe it's a small percentage; maybe we need a poll if challenge == fun.

for those sub 910 players they are challenged by most courses & the challenge of a 4+ may be too much

i don't believe it's a small percentage; maybe we need a poll if challenge == fun.

for those sub 910 players they are challenged by most courses & the challenge of a 4+ may be too much
Since the overwhelming majority of disc golfers don't have a rating, but would be sub 910,I have to disagree. It's a very small %.

Challenges that can be occasionally to frequently overcome can be fun. Distances on holes beyond your capability, water carries with lost disc potential, overall course length requiring 70+ throws for your skill level and courses that take too long (in your mind) to play (crowded, constantly searching for discs/losing them) are challenges difficult or impossible to overcome reducing the fun potential.

Here's the breakdown for HOLE # 1 at our last tournament.
Par 4-426 feet. MPO.
3-4S,6-5s,2-6s,1-7,1-8. Fun or no fun ?