• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

California Courses

JonCatch

Bogey Member
So I routinely drive the North/South between LA and San Francisco. I'd like to make some stops along the way to play a round or two. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good course that's in between? I typically take the 5, but the 101 is also an option.

I'd like to know:

how far out of the way it might be, why you like the course, and approx time to play a round.

Thanks

101 is better for golf than the 5. Try Waller in Santa Maria and Heilmann in Atascadero, both right off the freeway. Waller takes about 90 minutes, Heilmann more like 50-60. Coyote Point is probably the best along the 101 corridor, but it's a good 20-25 minutes to get to the course from the 101 and the $10-15 entry fee can seem pricey to some people.

101 is better for golf than the 5. Try Waller in Santa Maria and Heilmann in Atascadero, both right off the freeway. Waller takes about 90 minutes, Heilmann more like 50-60. Coyote Point is probably the best along the 101 corridor, but it's a good 20-25 minutes to get to the course from the 101 and the $10-15 entry fee can seem pricey to some people.

If you are heading south and do Waller Park, you could keep going South on Orcutt Expressway and then to 1, and end up at Lompoc, where you could play Beattie Park. That is a pretty fun course, on a similar level, although maybe a bit easier and shorter, to Waller. Then you could keep going on 1, or take 246 and get back to 101.

Pros: 2 nice courses instead of 1. The drive though that area is lovely in parts.

Cons: Long side trip.

I frequently do the run from Sacramento to LA on 5 or 99. 5 is completely devoid of good courses, and 99 has a handful of decent courses anywhere from 5-15 minutes off the freeway. Modesto, Visalia, and Bakersfield come to mind.

Given that you'd have to detour all the way over to 99, though, it sounds like your better options would be on 101.

de la, ryan ranch, black mouse, hellyer and la raza are both good nine holers in san jose as well

Hellyer and La Raza are my home courses. I know there are a bunch of courses in santa cruz but that puts me on the 17. I think the santa maria courses would be nice, maybe even beattie park.

It stinks the 5 doesn't have much to play, I'd love to not spend the extra drive time on the 101. But if its for DG, its hard to complain. Thanks for the input guys.

Other courses close to the 101 are Evergreen in Goleta (my old home course, print a map cause its a bit confusing) and Rabbit Flats in Thousand Oaks. Neither are as good as Waller or Heilmann, but they are worth a look. Beattie in Lompoc is a fun course, but it's not real close to the 101.

On the 101/1 route from Ventura to Atascadero

Of course, the Coyote Point Course at Lake Casitas in Ventura is a must play, but that is a true destination course. Hard to just drop in and play a quick 18 and leave. This one takes a few hours.

Waller Pines in Santa Maria is the other top choice. A beautiful 27 hole course in a beautiful park. This will take some time, only because it is such a large course spread throughout the park. Either of these would make the detour worth the drive.

However, there are quite a few other courses off the 101 between Ventura and Atascadero. I have played all these courses. I have been meaning to write reviews and add photos, but I get busy.

From South to North
Evergreen Open Space in Goleta is worth a stop. It is 18 full holes and provides a variety of shots. Some of the course is in open park, the rest plays through the woods and back area of the park.

No need to check out the Isla Vista course at UCSB unless you need a quick disc golf break and want to add a course to your play list. Better than no course at all.

Beattie Park in Lompoc is a real treat. I enjoyed this beautiful 18 hole course. The views from the top of the course are amazing. Really fun elevation and possible wind challenges. This is worth the side trip and not really that far out of the way if you are already on the 101.

Once you have played Waller Pines in Santa Maria, you may want to play Preisker Park. It is an 18 hole course that plays around a nice neighborhood park in Santa Maria. Bring a map.

I recommend most all the courses in San Luis Obispo area.

Laguna Lake is an 18 hole course in SLO. That must be a Jekyll and Hyde course. Half the reviewers hate it and half like it. I really liked it. However, I played in December when there was young, green grass that didn't need mowing. Haven't seen it in the summer. Print a map and take it with you!

Shinsheimer is a quick nine that you could stop in and play on the way through. Easy to navigate and fun to play. I wish there was a nice nine hole course like this in my neighborhood!

You should absolutely check out Sea Pines Golf Resort. Even though it is only nine holes and pay to play, it is worth it. This course is really beautiful and well maintained. It is a very long nine hole course as it follows the ball golf course. Not crowded on weekday afternoons. I will definitely be back to the area to play these three courses again. You can do these three SLO courses in half a day.

Be sure to play 18 hole Heilmann Park in Atascadero. It is right off the 101, easy to navigate with a personality all its own.

There is also a 9 hole course at the KOA at Lake Santa Margarita. A real down home campground style course with fairways next to the goats and chickens. I got an Ace on Hole 7! This would make a fun little stop if you needed some fresh air, like a pretty drive or want to add a course to your play list. Otherwise, pass it by.

Going on I-5

I have also played the courses in Taft and Bakersfield. By far the best courses are in Bakersfield at Hart Park. These are two awesome 18 hole courses, each quite different from the other. One in a beautiful grassy park by the Kern River, the other a rugged mountain course with lots of elevation. Not a quick drive by, but an all day adventure.

In Taft, there are two courses. Probably not really worth the side trip unless you are trying to add to your play list. The 18 hole course at Franklin Field is fun. It might not be playable if there are softball games in progress. The A Street park was OK. Small park, small course.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Latest posts