• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calling All Noodle Arms!...

Read the proper ways to drive on DGR and then find someone with your throw. (Im RHBH) Look at their drive analysis, I found these to be much more helpful than a video (even slow mo is misleading). My drives instantly added distance, accuracy suffered but I think I will be more accurate in the long run.

One thing I was wondering about is if all fingers underneath really helps distance? I have my first three under and my pinky tucked in, when throwing I see no real difference and I cant see how it would help distance to put my pinky underneath.

I practice in an open field, and it has helped my driving, but it doesn't always seem carry over onto the course. I've definitely improved on wide open holes, but not so much on narrower fairways with woods & bushes on either side or with trees I have to navigate around. I feel myself taking something off my swing at the end and have no follow through. I know I do it. I tell myself not to do it. Then I go ahead and do it anyway. The practice field is great, but it hasn't done much to improve some mental aspects of my driving.

I think I know this one. On the tight holes go ahead and slow the throw down a notch or two to get the accuracy, but still use the whole motion, including (especially) the follow through. Same exact motion as in the feild, just a little slower.

I'm about to put this to the test this weekend if it ever stops raining. I think I've finally figured out how to bring the disc in tight across my chest. I've been grip locking so tight to the point that I'm locking my elbow and unable to bring my arm in tight across my body. As a result, I've been releasing the disc almost two feet away from my body at about belt high. I've known it was wrong, a fact that's been reinforced by reading all of the tips here, I've just been unable to change it 'til now. Now I'm loosening my grip and mainly my elbow for the back swing and start of the pull through. I'll tighten it up as I get close to the hit. I tried it a bit last weekend with some good results, hopefully I'll get a chance to put it to good use this weekend. My home course (Seneca) is pretty tight so I'll have to try that slow release else I'll just abuse some trees. I should go up to Patapaco as it's more wide open but I probably won't unless the weather gets unexpectedly nice.

I think I know this one. On the tight holes go ahead and slow the throw down a notch or two to get the accuracy, but still use the whole motion, including (especially) the follow through. Same exact motion as in the feild, just a little slower

Thanks for the tip, it apparently makes too much sense for me to have thought of it on my own by now. Hopefully, I'll get out this weekend for a solo round and give it a shot.

Thanks for the tip, it apparently makes too much sense for me to have thought of it on my own by now. Hopefully, I'll get out this weekend for a solo round and give it a shot.

We can compare notes next week. I pretty good with giving advice, so-so putting it into practice.:rolleyes:

i am also apparently a noodle arm. i've watched the dan beato video, and practice throwing like that, but apparently i still am doing it all wrong. i thought i was improving but someone pointed it out today, so im not really sure what to do at this point.

I think I know this one. On the tight holes go ahead and slow the throw down a notch or two to get the accuracy, but still use the whole motion, including (especially) the follow through. Same exact motion as in the feild, just a little slower.
An easy way to do that is to take fewer steps in your run-up or to shorten your reachback. Just do one step rather than a full x-step. Don't take away anything from the late acceleration.

Form is key. Standing at 5'7", and weighing 135#'s soaking wet, I don't look to be much of a big distance kind of player. But I can consistently hit past 400', and my record is just over 500' during a tournament I played in a few weekends ago. I've only been playing seriously since March of 2009, and I know that I can out throw anyone on campus, save the two local pros that we have at our college.

This said, what I notice about my friends that are often much larger than me, is that there are a few things in our form that allow me to throw better.

1) Pull your arm across your chest. A lot of guys I play with reach down by their waist when trying to get more power on the disc. I find that when they do this, they end up throwing extremely high, or the disc comes off at a 45degree hyzer. When they try fighting this with anheiser, they end up getting a really fast, high rising anny that peters out and dives to the left (RHBH) after maybe 260'. I make sure to pull my arm ACROSS my chest, in a horizontal motion, so that I can get that SNAP at the end. The disc literally ought to pull itself out of your hand.
2) Throw flat. A lot of people when starting to learn big distance seem to be trying to do this entirely on their own. I find that working with the disc you have is essential. This may sound weird, but I often aim at a target just about 4-7feet off the ground half way to the target I'm trying to get it too- that way, I have something to aim for rather than just chucking it. This also gives me the ability to try to get the disc to stay flat, thus allowing it to do most of the work as it utilizes its speed and glide characteristics. I often am throwing things as though there is a tunnel shot with a very low ceiling, and this helps me keep my discs down. You can adjust height of the throw accordingly on if you find yourself burning things off to the right too quickly.
3)Know your gear. One of my friends throws a 162g Dx Valkyrie. He is by no means a weakling- but what I find interesting is that he is backing off so much on this disc, that when he finally does get a great snap, it flies off to the right horribly. When this happens, he ends up telling himself it was a bad shot. Now, while I believe that you could work just about any disc to handle a lot of arm speed, I don't think this is a good choice for him. He will be making so many concessions for this disc that in the end, he won't be able to step it up to something a little faster or more stable, because he'll be used to pampering a super light, beat up disc. You should know what you are throwing- what weight, what the sort of plastic you have and its effects on flight, and the general required speed needed for the disc to achieve its flight pattern.
4) Practice. I learned a lot from going to a field and just tossing. This way, I do three things: build muscle memory for my form as it gets better, learn each disc individually, and get to measure my distance without worrying about whether it was too short (or too far) on a course. You can just let loose. This is helpful if you have someone who knows how to throw far watching you and helping you out. This helped me so much- esp. with my friend and I pushing each other to throw farther than the other.
5) Rest and eat well. You can't just go rip your arm up for hours and hours every day and expect it to get better. You need to take a break and let your muscles rebuild. Make sure you are getting enough protein and carbs to keep up a good workout regiment. I know most people can only get out on the weekends, but throwing every other day for a few weeks, even 20 min., will help your muscles figure it out. Throwing distance isn't going to just magically come to you. You need to work towards it.
6) Have fun. Serious- most of this game is played within the approach and putting shots. Although big opening drives get you that much closer to the pin, I often find my short game is lacking when my long game is to be desired. Just go out and enjoy the sport, and watch for minor improvements all the time- ask for critiques, etc. But just don't let it get to you.

keeping that disc in close to my chest is sometimes difficult for me...I can't do it consistently yet. But it automatically generates snap when I do..

The rain let up today so I got in 18 late this afternoon, I'm calling it a qualified success. My aim was erratic but not too bad, my normally pretty good short game deserted me resulting in pretty lackluster score. I had about 3 drives on holes that were further than any I've had in years, maybe close to ever. I'm sure I didn't pull through many times like I'd envisioned and the focus on changing my motion contributed to me losing my line and some weak run ups, but it was encouraging. The weather supposed to get nice by the middle of the week, think I'm going to take a day off Wednesday and head up to Patapsco which is more suitable to bombing off the tee. I know I should put in some field work but at my age I don't have the time or the patience. ;)

When i started to play i could only throw around 100 ft (Pro-D magnet 174g).The first driver i threw was a champion Orc 175g and it felt so very very overstable but i could pump it over 200 so i was happy but 2007-2008 my distance rised 150 ft just with practise and then i got stuck at 350.2008 i watched over 5 000 discgolf videos(Discraft clinics,discgolf tournaments,distance and all about discgolf).In the summer off 2008 my distance rised again to 400ft and i went like.................I WANT TO THROW LONGER.......................but then the winter came so i could only play normal rounds, not the distance training i wanted to but when the spring came 2009 i did it my personal best distance record but it was a perfect wind also.The disc i was throwing was an Star Destroyer 171g and i threw it over 520 ft.It landed 590ft away but it was pretty flat but after 350 there was a slight slope down so therefore some of the distance got pulled away.

I got out again yesterday, pretty erratic again, I've added maybe 30-40' when i do it right, but I'm looking for a lot more since that's still only a max of 280'. I started turning it over which I thought was due to the increased snap but not I think it's due more to the wrong plane on release and maybe some wrist roll. Then I started fcousing on getting more hyzer so i think I slipped into not pulling across close to my chest and releasing it lower and away from my body. I've got 10-15 years of doing it wrong to unlearn, so I don't expect it to happen overnight.

Alright, so I went back and revisited the Dan Beato video since that seems to be highly recommended. The next time I went to the course, I decided to just practice my drives (the Beato way) rather than to play.

I started at the front of the box, arm in position, rotated back, and threw the disc trying to really focus on keeping the disc close to my body and shifting the wait to the front foot. At first, I was all over the place, but after about 25-30 drives, I actually started getting a little control and a clean release. After practicing this for a while, I discovered that I could throw pretty much just as far standing at the front of the box as I could with my run-up.

Since then, I've started adding a slow, smooth run-up with the new form. Very awkward at first, but after a week or so, I'm starting to get a good feel for this with a run-up. I went to my home course today (Freeman Lake) and threw some of the best drives I've ever had.

Example:
Hole #6: 405ft slight downhill the entire way. A couple of big trees to clear early off the box, and then a 30ft tree gap to clear about 40ft short of the basket. Typically, a good drive for me here is just short of the tree gap, leaving me about a 50ft putt. Today, I threw my typically flex shot here through the tree gap in the air and the disc ended up only 10ft from the basket.

Similar stories on a few of the other holes today. I'm definitely seeing 20-40 more feet when the timing is right. I'm not consistant with the changes yet, but I expect as I work on the form and the timing, that it will only get better.

Again, thanks to all for the feedback and great advice!

Makes ya feel good when practice pays off doesn't it! I've actually changed up some on my run-up/release myself and gotten some better results. I've always had a much weaker drive than my competitors in tournaments, BUT, my accuracy was usually right there, so I've not really changed anything in the last few years. However, being in 2nd AGAIN in the state championship series <4 years now> I really decided to try and gain some distance to try and at least knock off a stroke or 2 /round without losing accuracy. What I concentrated on was slowing down on my x-step, trying to pull back further, making sure my wrist was correct, and making sure that on my release I did a good follow-through, putting a little more "snap" on my arm speed, BUT...just trying to be "smooth" through the whole drive. And it's actually working! Slowing down my footwork, and just being smooth, and concentrating on upper-body techniches has actually GAINED me about 15-20ft on average/ drive. While this really isn't a BIG gain, it's a gain, and a lot of times in tournies I'm getting outdriven by about 20-25 ft. My accuracy has not suffered <which is actually my strongest point as far as my overall game> so it's really paying off...at least so far!

While this really isn't a BIG gain, it's a gain,...

It is a sign of forward progress, and that's what it's about. An extra 20-30ft may not sound significant, but I know at my local course, there are several holes that I can get within 40-50ft of the basket. That's a certain par, but a rare birdie, since I'm not a strong putter either. Gaining an extra 20-30 ft makes that roughly a 20ft putt, now we are talking a good shot at a 2! Most of the courses I play aren't that long, so for me to get up to 350ft would be great and probably drop an average of 5 shots or better per round.

At my local course, having a 350+ drive only helps me on roughly 3 holes, and 2 of those are 400+ so it gets me par on 2 out of 3, and a chance at 2 on one, the way is see it, i would rather have noodley accuracy than 350-390ft max D

Slowing down my footwork, and just being smooth, and concentrating on upper-body techniches has actually GAINED me about 15-20ft on average/ drive. While this really isn't a BIG gain, it's a gain, and a lot of times in tournies I'm getting outdriven by about 20-25 ft. My accuracy has not suffered <which is actually my strongest point as far as my overall game> so it's really paying off...at least so far!
I wouldn't think of distance as being the goal, I'd think of technique being the goal. A jump in D of 15-20' with no loss in accuracymeans you're doing something else right. Any time you can get something else right is a good thing, congrads!

At my local course, having a 350+ drive only helps me on roughly 3 holes, and 2 of those are 400+ so it gets me par on 2 out of 3, and a chance at 2 on one, the way is see it, i would rather have noodley accuracy than 350-390ft max D
The thing is if you have a clean 350' drive, then your 300' drives will be that much easier to execute and more accurate. You'll be able to use slower, more accurate and easier to control discs in those lower ranges.

Now if you have a lot of OAT and throw 350' (which is common), then your accuracy at 300' is probably pretty bad.

I've regressed big time. Same mediocre distance with no control. Trying to change too much combined with many years of bad form that just doesn't want to 'go gently into that good night'.

I've known my snap at the hit has been anemic at best for years so I'm going to focus on that. I'm going to eliminate the runup/xstep, just stand, reach back with a slight turn, and focus on accelerating through the pull and seeing the snap at the hit at the right place (in line with the pull across my chest and not out away from my body which I think is my biggest bugaboo).

Once I can reporduce this with some consistency I'll add some more turn (and maybe reach). Once I'm comfortable with that I'll bring back the xstep. I'm gonna get this.

I've regressed big time. Same mediocre distance with no control. Trying to change too much combined with many years of bad form that just doesn't want to 'go gently into that good night'.

I've known my snap at the hit has been anemic at best for years so I'm going to focus on that. I'm going to eliminate the runup/xstep, just stand, reach back with a slight turn, and focus on accelerating through the pull and seeing the snap at the hit at the right place (in line with the pull across my chest and not out away from my body which I think is my biggest bugaboo).

Once I can reporduce this with some consistency I'll add some more turn (and maybe reach). Once I'm comfortable with that I'll bring back the xstep. I'm gonna get this.

I got to where I was trying to fix too much at once and man, did I ever lose control and distance both. I then started focusing on just one thing for a while, and once I felt comfortable with that, I added in some other things that needed fixed and I went out of control again. Fianlly, I just let the first thing I worked on come naturally without thinking about it and things have started to click.

My best advice, as I still am trying to improve, is pick just one thing you need to work on until that is 2nd nature, then do the next. Dont try to do too much too soon and complicate things more than they need to be. It will come to you.

Yes, I am one, too! I typically throw around 300ft, maybe a little more on a really good day, but that is definitely up from the 270 avg from last summer. I haven't really changed much about the way I throw, but I am definitely throwing better this year.

I wanted to start this thread to see what others who may throw 300ft or less have done to improve there distance. Do you find that over time, as you play more and gain experience that your distance improves gradually?, or do you feel like you just get stuck where your at?

Anyone who used to throw 300ft or less now throw 400+?, what made the difference for you? I'm not really talking about going from beginner status to experienced here, but more like an experienced player who just couldn't throw that far who can now throw 400+.

I'm answering this without reading the rest of the thread.
I improved my distance during a 2 year period when I was out of town and playing alone almost every time. I noticed that when I yanked a shot...held it too long....the disc would fly farther than when I threw my normal shot. So I decided I had to learn how to control that yank and make it work for me.

I learned to turn my back more towards my target for my release (thought I was already doing this) and my motion is more like the motion used to start a pull lawn mower. In the past year my main playing partner throws 400+ft already. He showed me the pinch grip. Make sure you're pointer and thumb fingers are pinching the disc as strong as possible for your release, (this is while using the power grip, all fingers inside the rim) he got this tip from Climo when he was a rookie. Now once you get those two things down learn to "throw" the disc vs "sailing" the disc. You'll find out you need more stable discs in your bag and amazed that they will go as far or farther then the gliding discs you've been using.

At least that's how it worked for me. I was an under 300ft thrower, now I throw 350ft and when everything works, make 400ft on a level fairway.

Latest posts