• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Calling All Noodle Arms!...

Interesting question. I generally throw about 260-275 with good accuracy but every now and then something happens and I cork off a real (for me) bomb.

Last one I can remember was a long slightly uphill shot that carried about 300' uphill, much to my amazement, and wound up 10 feet from the basket. The only thing I could think of that was different about that drive - and I've been unable to duplicate it since - was that my last step in the run-up, where you plant your right foot just before everything whips around - was a long stretch. Somehow my foot caught on the rough surface of the teepad and it took me an extra tenth of a second to break it free. The rest of the body kept moving forward, so when my foot came loose I had to really stretch to land it in a position to take my weight.

Anyway, that disc just flew and flew. Anybody else have knowledge of stretching out the last step of an X-step?

When I am just doing just enough walk up to keep from feeling dumb, I wind up looking dumb instead as I do a funny shuffle step. It seems to work though for when I am trying for control.

I used that crow hop almost all of the time unless its short. It just depnds on my arm speed for the D.

I agree, that the secret is to figure out what's preventing you from getting greater distance. I like the troubleshooting guides over on discgolfreview. They give lists of symptoms, and possible causes for throwing shorter than you believe you're capable. I've gotten lots of ideas about things to work on from there.

I'd definitely consider myself a noodle arm. I'm also at that point where I keep trying, and it seems like I'm going backwards -- definitely not forwards. I'm hoping to maybe be able to work on things this winter, and try and change. I keep hearing people suggest you watch videos, and I've figured out at least three things I'm doing wrong (hey, that's a first step), but I'm not sure how to go about fixing them. Any suggestions from other people who've had the noodle arm problem and overcome it?

My problems are:
- getting very little spin
- not pulling through close enough to the chest
- overextending the hip in the follow through

I've tried dropping the x-step temporarily to eliminate the hip problem, then concentrate on the arm problem and form problem. Haven't gotten anywhere yet. Has anyone seen exercises to help these things, preferably ones that can be done in limited spaces over the winter? I thought about the fling idea people have mentioned before, to improve spin.

I used to only be able to throw about 250 RHFH and 175 RHBH but after playing a bunch I got up to about 350 RHFH and 250 RHBH. Now I've been pushing 400+ RHFH but I would say it depends on the disc you throw as well. I recently took all my discs out to a field and threw a bunch forehand, and my old driver only went out about 350 like it always used to, my groove got out to about 400 and my xcaliber got out around 450. I found it really interesting that my xcaliber went that much further when I threw it the same way I threw the groove.
In terms of backhand, I usually only throw the putter which I can get out to about 250-275 if there's no wind.

It took me 7 years of playing (the first 5 were on and off) to break 300', but once I did I took a big step forward. For about a year I maxed out around 290' with accuracy out to about 275'. Over this summer something just clicked, and now I throw my cheetah and leopard 300-320' with accuracy, and my orc and wraith 340-350' with reasonable accuracy. The two things I really focused on were follow through, and punching my lower arm out, and it's really been working. I can also now throw those distances without feeling like I'm muscling the discs, they just spin and fly out of my hand, it's a really cool feeling. Now if I could figure out how to average out my awesome putting days and my horrendous putting days I would be thrilled.

Stupid noodle arm!

Honestly the most frustrating part of the game for me, seeing other guys play the most accessible local course with a mid as their driver, when I come up short with full on drivers.
Gotta get my hands on a video camera so I can fix this before it drives me (hardy har) to stop trying.
bah!

Last edited:
i can throw maybe 240'-270' on average with occasional throws of 300' even though i haven't been playing long, but i have seen some people with noodle arms put no effort and still throw 325'+. but i think this winter i'm going to get myself a hd video camera for Christmas and record my progress and maybe this noodle arm will come alive.

Its good to know your not alone. I have decided to go back to just 5 of my discs and put the rest to the side for now and focus on my form.

TBH though, I finally have gotten to where I want the distance but I would rather not sacrifice control for it; thats why I want to get the form down, then from there, what be will be. I see too often on the course some of these young guys can really bomb the disc, I would say, over 400' but I also see them playing plinko through the trees a lot. While mine are just over half the length, I generally keep them at around only 10' in the air line drives.

I would love to have the kind of noodle arm you guys are talking about. I've only been playing for 2 1/2 months. I can throw about 200 ft with reasonable accuracy. I'll sometimes get it to about 250, but that's usually far to the right of where I intended to place it.
When I started, I was one of those guys who figured that if I wanted to throw far, my disc needed to say "Distance Driver". My first Ahhah moment was when I realized I was throwing my mid-ranges farther and straighter than those distance drivers. That's when I knew I needed to do some research. I figured out the terminology (whose bright idea was it to say that a disc that is more likely to fly straight has a stability rating of 0?) I made sure I was throwing discs recommended for beginners. And I read a lot of advice on sights like this one. In the last 2 months, I've Added about 50 ft to my throws putting me at the 200-250 range I'm at today. I imagine I'll stagnate here for a while because daylight is getting shorter so I'll only be able to play on weekends. I'm hoping that next year I'll get closer to 300ft. I just wish I found this game when I was a younger man. I'm guessing that being in my mid forties is going to slow my progress somewhat.

I used to max out right at around 250' or so I believe. I spent the whole summer throwing drives in a baseball outfield. I would say my max is around 300' now. The best thing you could ever do is skip a round and instead just throwing your drivers (and midranges and putters) in an open field. Choose a target and just keep throwing. Concentrate on how you throw when you throw those perfect drives and commit those movements to muscle memory.

I practice in an open field, and it has helped my driving, but it doesn't always seem carry over onto the course. I've definitely improved on wide open holes, but not so much on narrower fairways with woods & bushes on either side or with trees I have to navigate around. I feel myself taking something off my swing at the end and have no follow through. I know I do it. I tell myself not to do it. Then I go ahead and do it anyway. The practice field is great, but it hasn't done much to improve some mental aspects of my driving.

The fling will help you feel where the hit really is (which is really good to do), but IMO, worrying specifically about spin won't get you anywhere.

That's too bad. I've identified that spin is the reason I'm getting no distance, and I've been working all summer to try and figure out how to generate spin. I saw the video on the fling, and hoped it might be helpful.

I appreciate all the feedback, there has been a lot of good information and links posted up, thanks!

I agree lighter discs in faster molds or heavier discs in slower molds is a start. I have slowly evolved and incorporated the X-step, off arm tuck, reach back, no look back to fairway, power grip to my arsenal....much to my chagrin each has added more speed but I have lost control dramatically as well...hate to say it but practice is the way to go...I also seem to plateau and get worse as I try to improve my game. I suppose it's like walking....your gonna fall alot but its better than crawling all the time.

I know i already have a thread asking for which flight pattern for max distance and one for slower drivers....

If I am getting my best distance (270ish) throwing a long s curve with a 164g Apache. I know I need to work on my reach and my x step. Should I keep working with the apache or should I be looking for...

1. Same Weight Slower Drivers
2. Same Weight Less Stable Drivers
3. Lighter Faster Drivers
4. Keep working with my apache

sorry... i know at this point im not just beating a dead horse, im kicking it in the face.

You are gonna have to find your own way to improve and one through four you have up there are a great way to start. Yes, experiment with all of them, just concentrate on your form ( all the way from reaching back to x-stepping to the hit) Practice Practice Practice.

I practice in an open field, and it has helped my driving, but it doesn't always seem carry over onto the course. I've definitely improved on wide open holes, but not so much on narrower fairways with woods & bushes on either side or with trees I have to navigate around. I feel myself taking something off my swing at the end and have no follow through. I know I do it. I tell myself not to do it. Then I go ahead and do it anyway. The practice field is great, but it hasn't done much to improve some mental aspects of my driving.

You bring up some very good points. While field practice is good for working on general drives for distance, it cannot substitute what the course does. The course is the only place where you can practice and sharpen the mental aspect of the game.

I know i already have a thread asking for which flight pattern for max distance and one for slower drivers....

If I am getting my best distance (270ish) throwing a long s curve with a 164g Apache. I know I need to work on my reach and my x step. Should I keep working with the apache or should I be looking for...

1. Same Weight Slower Drivers
2. Same Weight Less Stable Drivers
3. Lighter Faster Drivers
4. Keep working with my apache

sorry... i know at this point im not just beating a dead horse, im kicking it in the face.
IMO, number 1 is by far the best option. Number 4 will be good when you get to throwing your slower driver over 300' but number 3 is almost never a good idea when you're learning. The first thing you should do is find a mold that's the correct speed and stability for where you are in your development. Weight should be considered after that.

Number 2 is a good idea sometimes, but not when you're talking about the Apache. It's as understable as you'll need for that speed of disc.

I'd go with a Polaris LS or DX Cheetah for now. They're great discs for learning to improve your form.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: form is more important than power.

My most accurate/long drives (400'+ with a 167 star wraith) come when I concentrate on finesse and form. You'd be surprised what you can do with slow and steady progress. I'd shy away from raw power if I were attempting to break a distance plateau.

In the last two years my distance has growing at a pretty good pace, I'd been at 300' for quite a few years and finally started watching some videos and checking out websites for proper form. After becoming comfortable with the xstep, the snap and follow thru were 2 of the biggest determining factors for increasing MY own distance. I occaissonally hit the 400 mark but, regularly I'll end up over 350(depending on hole layout). So Snap, grip and follow thru for me Good luck

Latest posts