• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can I play open with Amateur Status?

popmaeas

Hello everyone, I need some help here. I'm sure the answer is simple, but I'd just like to be certain:

If I registered this year as an amateur for the pdga, but feel that I want to play open in a tournament, can I do it and still accept the money?

This is my first year in the pdga and my rating is higher than I thought it may be. I'm not concerned about losing my amateur status, but I wanted to know If I could play open and accept money considering I registered as an amateur this year for the pdga.

To make it clear, it states amateur next to my classification on my pdga page.

Thank you

Yes you can play open all you want. If you accept cash, next year you will have to register as a Pro. Even as a Pro you can still play in AM events(Not a major. AM Worlds or USADGC) if your PDGA rating is under 970. Also, I think you cant play in Pro Worlds as a registered AM, but I could be wrong about that one.

Last edited:
By definition the Open division is "open" to all players. So, yes, you can play in Open as an Amateur. However, if you accept cash, you will officially be considered a Pro.

Also, I think you cant play in Pro Worlds as a registered AM, but I could be wrong about that one.

You can, but only after every pro member in the organization gets a chance to register first. It used to be that if there were still open spots as of a certain date, any amateur could sign up to play Pro Worlds. Now, in addition to waiting until a certain date and hoping for unfilled spots, amateurs must also meet certain ratings thresholds in order to play Worlds...over 970 for MPO, over 870 for FPO, over 935 for MPM, etc.

The last few years, I don't think it has reached a point where amateurs could get into Pro Worlds because it filled so quickly. With the splitting into two events, it might happen this year.