• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can't hyzer

DiscBiscuit

Par Member
Hey guys,

I've been trying to throw hyzers, but it just doesn't feel natural. I've
learned to throw with a beast(understable), then a wraith, and I've
always had success throwing them with an anhyzer.

Now on a couple holes I've been trying to hyzer long shots to the right
of trees with my wraith and xcailber but it just doesn't feel good.

I can do the beginner throw, ya know, short and left at the end, but I just
can't get my hand to let the disc go with the outside tipped down for long
shots, and when I do, :eek:.

Any suggestions on how to "ease" my way into hyzers?

i would suggest using your back as your axis point. like taking a golf swing. if you cant tip your "wing" down with your arm or hand, then bend over a little.
keep your arm straight and adjust your angle with your back not your hand or arm. it really helped me learn the opposite problem (anhyzer) i lean back and let beautiful annies fly. so hope this helps.
have fun.:)

It sounds like your wrist action may need some attention too. Try some practice throws out in a field and experiment with locking in different wrist angles during your windup. You will get more and better advice if you answer leathercash's questions about your style.

I'd recommend practicing with a catch and throw disc with a friend. It's really easy to practice all types of releases without having to chase the disc. You could just start out throwing in an open field and try to get the tilt on the disc. Once you start to get the hang of it a little, put some sort of obstruction between you and your partner... like a telephone pole or something. Then ou can translate the feel to your golf game.

You might want to try throwing a Tee-Rex.

My experience with Beasts is that when you get them up, they tend to slow down, kinda float and then just fall/ fade left. The Road-Runner is my go to Anhyzer Disc, when I throw it hard...its going right.

I'm assuming you are RHBH thrower.

Something I try to do to keep the wing down on a hyzer is to pull through strong and finish with my hand really reaching out on the intended flight plane. You probably have to release a little earlier than you'd think...if you let go late, the disc is gonna gain altitude pretty fast.

A Big Arm Thrower once told me that its like snapping a wet towel...

It's just like doing a Mexican dance, you gotta OLE! that SOB. Your arm should be pointing towards the sky after you release.

I'd recommend practicing with a catch and throw disc with a friend. It's really easy to practice all types of releases without having to chase the disc. You could just start out throwing in an open field and try to get the tilt on the disc. Once you start to get the hang of it a little, put some sort of obstruction between you and your partner... like a telephone pole or something. Then ou can translate the feel to your golf game.

That's good advice. Just you and a buddy throwing back and forth. I was really surprised at what I learned doing this before every round of golf,I'm sure it will help you at least a little bit.

Hit the practice field over and over. That is the best way to practice. You don't want to be trying things on the course. That screws up your scores. Plus on the practice field, you can try things over and over till you get it right. I actually spend more time on the practice field then I do on the course.

i would suggest using your back as your axis point. like taking a golf swing. if you cant tip your "wing" down with your arm or hand, then bend over a little.
keep your arm straight and adjust your angle with your back not your hand or arm. it really helped me learn the opposite problem (anhyzer) i lean back and let beautiful annies fly. so hope this helps.
have fun.:)

I like this response!

I also like to blame the equipment in some cases(just cause its a cop out..
....in some ways). I've been throwing, RHBH by the way, 2 wraiths for
drivers. 1 champion, and 1 star, both 168g. They started out(not broken in) flying more
of the hyzer route and coming back to the left at the end. Now both of
them are broken in, and don't come back to the left much at all. The flights
are typically 15-20 from the ground, and fly 15-20' left, then 25-35' right,
finally another 15-25', and finally another 15-25' back to the left, to create
a nice "S" shape.
The problem is, is that there are a few holes where I cannot let the disc
go to the left upon leaving my hand because of trees. I need a disc that
flies like a not-broken in wraith, to where I can throw it straighter upon
release.

So, upon further advise, could someone tell me what type of broken in disc
flies like a brand new wraith?

Last edited:
So, upon further advise, could someone tell me what type of broken in disc flies like a brand new wraith?
I'm not sure I fully understand the flight you're after, but I really like this question. Generally people seem to ask for a disc that acts like their favorite broken in disc, but when the disc is new (e.g. "I want a new disc that flies like a broken in DX Teebird"). IMO, that's a silly question because the disc will break in to be not what they want anymore.

You can try a Teerex, but if you give more information about how far your throwing and the flight you want we may be able to give better recommendations. A Wraith will fly differently for someone throwing 300' than it will for someone throwing 400'.

I'm not sure I fully understand the flight you're after, but I really like this question. Generally people seem to ask for a disc that acts like their favorite broken in disc, but when the disc is new (e.g. "I want a new disc that flies like a broken in DX Teebird"). IMO, that's a silly question because the disc will break in to be not what they want anymore

I've often wondered about that question too. I think your best bet would be to rebuy the same disc and get out on the course and beat it like a redheaded stepchild. ;)

You could try a star xcaliber, when it gets beaten in, it still hyzers nicely. I'm throw RHFH and when I throw the xcaliber righty backhand, I can't get it to anhyzer very often.