• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Carry in, carry out...

YES!!!!

I'm a manager for a zero waste company. We divert waste from the landfill at music festivals, events, and we do a few waste studies.

At festivals we put up signs that say, "Pack it in pack it out" sadly by those signs is where people pile up their trash. Some people just don't get it. A lot of people when trash leaves their hand that piece of trash is no longer in their life and they will never think of it again... Even If it ended up on the ground. When I se people litter I bring it to them and tell them they forgot their property back there. Some people get mad but few actually thank me for making them realize that YOUR TRASH IS YOUR PROPERTY. I bring a bag with me and pick up trash when I play. You would think that people seeing people doing this would make them not want to litter but with some people they see that and think that "it's someone's job."

I dont even put stuff in the bins that the club provides on the course everything goes home with me.

Cigarette butts ARE LTTER.

Thanks for reading my rant.

The answer is more trash cans

Players are more apt to pick up trash and put in a nearby trash can then they are to pick up garbage and carry it for 18 holes

I agree and also disagree. The course I maintain has only 3 trashcans on the course and one along a long transition (all in spots where Parks & Rec can easily empty them). For the most part, the course remains clean. We have tried putting bags elsewhere; what happens is that people see a trash bag and take the opportunity to empty whatever they are carrying. I end up having to dispose of these as Parks & Rec do not go deep into our woods. Without the opportunity to "legally" dump, 99+% carry out.

My buddy and I frequently joke about the "30' Rule"...

Without fail we always seem to always find the most trash within 30' of some sort of trash receptacle. The best is counting the number of steps it actually would've taken to get rid of the trash. It's downright stupid in most cases. :wall:

My buddy and I frequently joke about the "30' Rule"...

Without fail we always seem to always find the most trash within 30' of some sort of trash receptacle. The best is counting the number of steps it actually would've taken to get rid of the trash. It's downright stupid in most cases. :wall:

Sounds like my roommate

Go get some fresh air, dont post drunk, dont post angry.

Are you saying ...

attachment.php

Attachments

• dont-press-send.png
    dont-press-send.png
    127.3 KB · Views: 111
The answer is more trash cans

Players are more apt to pick up trash and put in a nearby trash can then they are to pick up garbage and carry it for 18 holes

Its not morality its reality

Lecturing never works

The only part of this statement I agree with is that lecturing is ineffective, particularly with the the folks guilty of this sin, but I don't think more trash cans is the answer.

Players willing to clean up in the vicinity of trash cans but not willing to carry for 18 holes aren't the problem. Chances are they're not the a-holes ditching trash in the first place. The problem lies with the human garbage throwing trash on the ground in the first place.

There's no substitute for personal responsibility, and to a certain degree, peer pressure can help. If we want to clean up our sport, we need to lead the effort.

Good: carry out your own garbage

Better: carry out your own garbage, AND pick up others garbage found in the rough and leave it at the tee

Best: carry out your own garbage, AND pick up others garbage found in the rough, AND carry a bag so you can carry others garbage out

Just wanted to point out that not everyone leaving stuff at the tee is part of the problem...if I find crap in the woods and don't have room to carry any more garbage, I will at least get it out of the rough and localize it at the tee. It's one small step better than leaving it in the rough. I always carry my own out, but carrying others out is icing on the cake IMO and kudos to everyone who does that!!

Kinda ironic to write "much love" after that tirade of explicits you used.

Way to preach to the choir.

Go get some fresh air, dont post drunk, dont post angry.

The hilariousness of this thread escapes you fully. :rolleyes:

Littering like course vandalism is a sad reality.

The best trash receptacles I've seen are at the Blue Heron course at Beaver Island SP. Attached to every tee signpost is a receptacle. This receptacle opens at the bottom so park maintenance staff only needs to drive under with a Gator type vehicle open and empty. Simple, efficient, and relatively inexpensive. Unfortunately these won't work at all courses.

A couple of days a year I take a garbage bag with me and pick up everything I see.

If everyone who regularly used the courses here did this it would look great year round, even accounting for all the jerks that just throw empties on the ground.

Good: carry out your own garbage

Better: carry out your own garbage, AND pick up others garbage found in the rough and leave it at the tee

Best: carry out your own garbage, AND pick up others garbage found in the rough, AND carry a bag so you can carry others garbage out

Just wanted to point out that not everyone leaving stuff at the tee is part of the problem...if I find crap in the woods and don't have room to carry any more garbage, I will at least get it out of the rough and localize it at the tee. It's one small step better than leaving it in the rough. I always carry my own out, but carrying others out is icing on the cake IMO and kudos to everyone who does that!!

Though I think your heart is in the right place, redistributing trash on the course is ultimately a failing stategy. The "tee trash" is inevitabley kicked or thrown right back into the rough. Because we all know litterbugs don't hate anything more, than having to look at a bunch of trash. They are obviously convinced it is somebodys job to clean up after them, and get quite disturbed when that somebody fails to do their job.
I suppose if there is a very active club or league that night, moving trash around could be effective.

It is endlessly frustrating and puzzling to me that people can't pick up after themselves. We do Adopt-A-Highway where I work, and the weird crap that people think it's acceptable to throw out of their vehicles would blow your mind. Sadly, disc golfers are just a microcosm of society as a whole. While most of us are saddened and upset by the inconsiderate actions of a few, there are only a few of us actually picking up after the slobs. I would be the first to admit that I could do more than I do, but I've gotten to the point where I give up. My efforts never seemed to make a difference, and things really don't look any worse now than they did when I would clean up after others. It feels like there is just a critical mass of junk that wants to accumulate at certain holes, and once that amount of trash is present, people stop being pigs. I know that's NOT the case, but it feels that way some days.

The only thing I carry out of a park is my raging entitlement boner. :|

Everyone's entitled to a boner...

I played the Brent Hambick course a couple days ago and as soon as I entered the back 9, in some really nice spruce forest, there were pounder cans of PBR and Busch Light stuck on low hanging branches everywhere. Pretty sure a trio of guys right ahead of me dropped trash (Code Red Mt Dew, if that tells you something) right in the fairway for 16, which is obviously nearly back to the cars.

You can't fix stupid.
Pretty sure I'm going to take the suggestion someone said above, and just start packing a plastic grocery bag with me to haul this crap out. I have way too many anger issues over this kind of ignorance to be approaching the actually litterers without getting myself into trouble, lol.

I agree, so why is that alien / skeleton in your avatar smoking a junt?

If you look at the full sized image in his profile, you'll see no smoke coming from whatever it is in the character's mouth. Might just be a long, pointy tongue. Or he's got a carrot in his mouth.

Latest posts