• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cascade Grand Rapids, MI basket 4 missing

Guess I won't be playing Cascade anymore. Oh well, no big loss for me. It's always windy there and I've lost four or five discs in the woods on hole #16. The playground equipment on my left always freaks me out.

Guess I won't be playing Cascade anymore. Oh well, no big loss for me. It's always windy there and I've lost four or five discs in the woods on hole #16. The playground equipment on my left always freaks me out.

You mean to tell me you would rather lose your disc in the woods than launch a shot off from a liitle kids head while theyre on the jungle gym? lol just kidding Greg, I know its a mental thing, kind of like a twig in the middle of the tee pad or someones bag right in front of me at the end of the tee pad, that stuff bugs me personnaly, if it makes you feel any better ive lost a few on #16 at cascade too, but I still love that park.

maby they should weld them in, if they arent already, i would imagine that would stop theifs, unless they have tortches to cut it, and then they prolly wont waste there time on a basket right?

How about a GPS tracking bug? It would be pretty simple to put one on the inside of the basket tube and have it recharge from a small solar panel.

Then they could track down the basket as it moved.

How about a GPS tracking bug? It would be pretty simple to put one on the inside of the basket tube and have it recharge from a small solar panel.

you buying?

maby they should weld them in, if they arent already, i would imagine that would stop theifs, unless they have tortches to cut it, and then they prolly wont waste there time on a basket right?

The baskets at cascade DGC arent welded, anchored in cement or anything at all, thats the problem and why several baskets have been stolen out there. Ive emailed cascade parks and rec probly 5 times telling them that we like the DG park and want them to cement the baskets down and make it harder for people to steal one. Ive never gotten any reply. I saw a guy mowing grass there yank a basket out of the ground like it was nothing, when he was done he put it back in the hole, I was thinking " thats way to easy for theifs to take if they wanted to" I dont get it, I really dont, they spent a bunch of money on this disc golf course and 18 baskets and they wont spend any money on cement? A bag of cement is like 2 bucks and could anchor down probly 3 baskets i mean come on!! It pisses me off that they dont have common sense, its kind of obvious that cascade dosent really give a crap about the dg course at cascade park or they would address these simple issues at hand.

I've suggested something like this for sometime now, but currently something like that probably costs more than the basket does.

There's a reason stores put those security strips that set off the door alarm on CD's and DVD's but don't put them on candy bars in the checkout aisle.

Within a decade perhaps, it may be feasible. I'm sure bicyclists would love to have them too.

A bullet costs 50 cents and the stealing problem would be solved.

armysniper.jpg

All, I was in our local Playitagain sports today and sitting in the corner is the exact basket that was stolen from Cascade Park minus the number that site on top the center pole. The basket went missing in early November of 2009 and the store manager at Playit Again said the basket was brought in 1/12/2010. He said that he will be unable to take any action until the police are involved. My question to the forum is: Are there any markings (serial numbers etc) on a basket that could definitely prove it is indeed the stolen basket? Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation?
You all know that I will try to do anything that I can to get this basket back into the park where it belongs any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Its pretty gutsy/stupid to steal a basket and try to sell it 5 miles away at the local play it again sports. I hope whoever stole it eventually gets pinched. I know they have at least 2 tournaments scheduled this summer at cascade park so the missing basket needs to be replaced soon.

Last edited:
hey ovar, you playn the tourney at cascade in march? i am considering it but i only played cascade 1 time last summer =(

I would like to play the tourney but I have never played in one before. Do you know how I would go about signing up? What is the exact date? Is there a doubles tourney as well?

Update:
I contacted Bill Cousins with Cascase Township last night regarding the stolen basket. He said, "We are turning this over to the Sheriff Department". I hope that at the very least the basket returns to the park. I asked to be kept in loop on how this all unfolds, so naturally anymore news I receive about this I will post on this thread.

Thanks for the work you're doing, Ovar. It'd be great to see this guy get his comeuppance.

I would like to play the tourney but I have never played in one before. Do you know how I would go about signing up? What is the exact date? Is there a doubles tourney as well?

Just show up an hour before the tourney, sign in and register, pdga members will get a discount on entry fees being that it is a pdga sanctioned event. Whoever wants info here it is:

17-Apr, April Anhyzer Cascade Park, Grand Rapids Mi
C tier tournament, TD Bret Good (616) 813-2764 [email protected]

www.GrandRapidsdiscgolf.com

(entry fees are about 20-30 dollars for amateur players, pro/open players will cost more to enter, amateur players win prizes while pro players win cash)

Info on grand rapids dogs of disc weekly summer league: http://dogsofdisc.webs.com/

Michigan disc golf organizations listing of michigans upcoming 2010 tournaments:http://mdgo.org/

Pdga's website (does not list smaller tournament events):http://www.pdga.com/

Disc on my michigan brethren, see you guys there!!

Last edited:
thanks terry C,

there is doubles @ riverside later this year, i think me and my bro are playing in it, atleast i hope he will play it, he dosent seem as intrested in tourneys as me...

Last edited:
cascade is a nice maintained course but i think they need to plant some trees. i have never been out there when it wasn't windy as hell. I mean if they just plant a coupld of rows of pine trees along the highway side it would make a huge difference and this course would bhe alot better. they also need some tee pads and signs. Difficult to navigate. the potential is there but not being used. the grand rapids disc golf club should try to work on it.

Update:
I contacted Bill Cousins with Cascase Township last night regarding the stolen basket. He said, "We are turning this over to the Sheriff Department". I hope that at the very least the basket returns to the park. I asked to be kept in loop on how this all unfolds, so naturally anymore news I receive about this I will post on this thread.

ovar, dont leave it at that. go to play it again sports and see if the sherrif department contacted them.
best case scenario is the sheriff department came by and created a report on the situation. which you can then contact the sheriff department and get a copy of that report.
worst case scenario is that your buddy bill was putting you off. and never contacted the sheriff department....

Latest posts