• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Central Pennsylvania to Florida trip suggestions

kief75

Heading south next week, probably I95 or I77. Any suggestions for cant miss courses within a half hour or so of those routes? Leaving Monday the 6th!

First, take I-77, not I-95. It's a nicer drive, and when you get to the Carolinas, the quality of courses along it is much better.

If nothing else, I-77 goes right through Charlotte. Take your pick.

A few mentions, south of Charlotte; good courses, worth visiting, easy access, though not necessarily destination or "must play' courses:

I-177 between Charlotte & Columbia: All Terrain. About 5 easy miles off I-77, a very hilly course at an ATV resort facility (pay to play).

I-77, Columbia: Southeast Park. About 2 miles off I-77, pretty level, challenging, navigation's a bit tricky.

I-95, SC/GA border: The Sarge & Tom Triplett. Both are virtually on the exit ramps, on either side of the border. The Sarge has lots of water; my preference would be Triplett, but it's a close call.

If you go down 81 to 77 I like Poorhouse Farm Park a lot and Greenfield Park in Troutville, VA is well regarded. If you take 95 through VA you are within a few minutes of lots of good stuff in Spotsylvania (Blockhouse, Loriella, Hawk Hollow) and Bryan Park in Richmond is right off the interstate as well. Spotsy stuff might be too early in the trip for a big stop though. I would probably take the western route- the DC area is a living hell on the roads.

I81

I've played practically every course on/near I81 between Harrisburg and its end in eastern Tennessee. There are many fine courses along/near this route, depending upon how far you want to diverge.

I'd recommend Rockland, near Front Royal, and Greenfield, near Troutville. These courses are ~2.5 hours apart, so a nice break between rounds.

Farther off your route, I consider Walnut Creek, south of Charlottesville, one of the best courses I've played.

Heading south next week, probably I95 or I77. Any suggestions for cant miss courses within a half hour or so of those routes? Leaving Monday the 6th!

Yeah, some awesome course choices. I tend to agree with ^ these guys especially taking I-81 to avoid DC area and more relaxing scenic drive. If you do take I-95 talk to Biscoe about playing Hawk Hollow it is the must play on that route for sure. If you are willing to go about 45min off I-81 Mountain Lake is totally worth it and closing this summer, so it would likely be your only chance to play it.

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like consensus is rt77 which I was leaning towards anyway ��